Hi DR lower MP (18-21mp) body with great ISO priced $2300 -$2500
40 (17.2%)
Mini/crippled  1Dx @ $3000
23 (9.9%)
Awin's Shove it in Nikon's face 40MP+ monster priced at $3k
39 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Voting closed: February 10, 2012, 02:50:59 PM

Author Topic: How does Canon respond to the D800?  (Read 62741 times)

Bruce Photography

• EOS M5
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Re: How does Canon respond to the D800?
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »
I do think Nikon overcompensated, but it also has to do with what Sony could deliver in terms of sensors. Often the design is limited by the Technology/ supply chain available to a manufacturer. Nikon wanted to respond to the market with a high MP body(s)... Sony made the sensor available to them and they went for it.

In case of Canon, I think they realize that the 18-22mp is the sweet spot for enough resolution/DR/ISO/Noise/Airydisc. I think they will stay at this level for a while. This optimum combinition can satisfy a very high number of customers.

If CR Guy's numbers are spot on.... I have my funds saved up. I will pull the plug on the 5D3 as soon as pre-orders are available!

According to the Nikon release, the D800 and the D800E use a Nikon developed sensor and NOT one from Sony.  Perhaps this is why they were able to finally break free of the low MP sensors and yet keep prices this low.  I would expect that Nikon will be able to make whatever kind of sensor they want without being limited by their Sony connection.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
I do think Nikon overcompensated, but it also has to do with what Sony could deliver in terms of sensors. Often the design is limited by the Technology/ supply chain available to a manufacturer. Nikon wanted to respond to the market with a high MP body(s)... Sony made the sensor available to them and they went for it.

In case of Canon, I think they realize that the 18-22mp is the sweet spot for enough resolution/DR/ISO/Noise/Airydisc. I think they will stay at this level for a while. This optimum combinition can satisfy a very high number of customers.

If CR Guy's numbers are spot on.... I have my funds saved up. I will pull the plug on the 5D3 as soon as pre-orders are available!

According to the Nikon release, the D800 and the D800E use a Nikon developed sensor and NOT one from Sony.  Perhaps this is why they were able to finally break free of the low MP sensors and yet keep prices this low.  I would expect that Nikon will be able to make whatever kind of sensor they want without being limited by their Sony connection.

Are we sure it's not a Sony base design with modifications requested by Nikon as in the past? SOmetimes they have called those Nikon developed even though Sony did the bulk of it.

poias

• EOS M5
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »

Are we sure it's not a Sony base design with modifications requested by Nikon as in the past? SOmetimes they have called those Nikon developed even though Sony did the bulk of it.

SItuation with Nikon-Sony is like Apple-FoxConn. Basically, Nikon designs it, ala Apple, and Foxconn manufactures it, ala Sony.

macfly

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
Well since I'll be getting one in the first batch I'll do some direct side by side comparisons with my 1Ds Mklll and can post them here if you're interested, but of course the glass will be a variable too, not just the sensor. Anyhow I need to do it to for myself to know what I'm dealing with, so happy to share.

waving_odd

• EOS M5
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:30 AM »
The same guy, Masaya Maeda (Chief Executive of Image Communication Products Operations), who talked about Canon mirrorless system invited some CP+ journalists to visit Canon's headquarters in Tokyo.

He commented the following about D800 and 5D2's successor.

"...Regarding how Canon responds to the competition from Nikon's D800 and the concern of the successor of 5D Mark II, Maeda indicates that although he cannot leak information about un-announced product, the way Canon develops new product is to satisfy the needs of professional photographers.  For instance, the introduction of EOS-1D X is to satisfy professional photographers to photoshoot sports events like the Olympics, in terms of their requirement of high FPS and high image quality under high ISO settings.  If Canon thinks the market wants the high resolution models such as the 30+ MP of Nikon's D800, they can easily develop such products..."

"...对于佳能如何应对尼康D800的竞争,以及5DMarkII的后续机型的问题。真容田雅也表示,他虽然不能透露未公布的产品的信息,不过佳能开发新产品是以能够满足专业摄影师需求为目标的。例如,EOS-1D X的推出,就是为了满足职业摄影师在拍摄奥运会等体育运动时对高速连拍,以及高感光度下的高画质的需求。如果佳能认为市场对于像尼康D800这样3000万像素的高像素机型有需求,佳能开发此类产品也非常容易..."

Here's the original article in Chinese.

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
Well since I'll be getting one in the first batch I'll do some direct side by side comparisons with my 1Ds Mklll and can post them here if you're interested, but of course the glass will be a variable too, not just the sensor. Anyhow I need to do it to for myself to know what I'm dealing with, so happy to share.

Hopefully I'll be getting one of the first batches of the D800 as well. I'll also be doing my own comparisons as I'm particularly interested how the noise and dynamic range of the D800 will stack up to the 1DsIII. That said, I wouldn't bother posting comparisons on here if the D800's images are superior in any way, shape, or form. Facts have a way of really upsetting the fanboys. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:47:54 PM by V8Beast »

K-amps

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »

Hopefully I'll be getting one of the first batches of the D800 as well. I'll also be doing my own comparisons as I'm particularly interested how the noise and dynamic range of the D800 will stack up to the 1DsIII. That said, I wouldn't bother posting comparisons on here if the D800's images are superior in any way, shape, or form. Facts have a way of really upsetting the fanboys.

I would like to see them, if you care to post.  :)
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »

WarStreet

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »

When doing the comparison, would you mind to downscale the D800 to the same size of the 1DsIII, so that the comparison will be a realistic one representing the same print size. Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »