October 26, 2014, 03:45:02 AM

Author Topic: Only a "my Canon dealer told me" post, but maybe there is some truth to it  (Read 9260 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
And it goes:

"I just came back from my pro photo retailer. I went there to preorder a D800 plus 24-70 and 70-200.
My main equipment got accidentally trashed so have to start from scratch, as only my old backup equipment survived. While I do posses some analog Nikon stuff, in the last 10 years of DSLR have always been with Canon. But I have had enough of basic incremental upgrades and ridiculous AF in anything but the 1D series. The new D800 is the 5D3 I was expecting for all those years. I do photo and video at 50/50 rate.
So, while talking with the shop owner this morning, exposing him my situation and my decision to switch brands, he told me off the record, that the Canon rep had told them a couple of days ago that something WILL be announced by the end of the month. This is confirmed. What exactly? They weren't given further details, but they were told it was "5D related and better than the 5D2". He also told me that it won't be a direct 5D2 replacement, as the 5D2 will remain on the line up. "It will be a camera between the 5D2 and the 1Dx" (those were his words).
I trust my retailer, they've been in the business for over 30 years, it's the pro shop for a area of 1mill people, and I got this info only when I talked directly to the owner, after 30 mins chatting with his employes. It's hard to say how accurate the info they were given is, maybe it will directly replace the 5D2 after all. But I can tell the Canon rep has advanced him this in order to prevent people like me to switch (the shop sells all kinds of brands, plus Profoto studio stuff and such).
After this news I've decided to postpone my decision for a few weeks.
I still like everything in the D800 and I don't mind brands at all, only fear to lose "tactile memory" and the white color on the lenses, for the rest I don't care. I will attend the D800 presentation next week and wait till the end of the month. I can get away with a 20-25MPx 5D3 as long as it includes everything else the D800 has.
Let's see what happens."

Cheers, Pedro

to follow the thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=40623929
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

barryjphoto

This is going to be good, pass the popcorn….
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
The funny thing is that if you went in as a natural Nikonian and just ordered, there would be nothing to post about. Yet the passion is red hot right now about Canon keeping up or not and folks just cannot help themselves and must discuss the 'switch'. I hope your chat with the Dealer comes to fruition and you and many others get the body they want. Me, I'm looking to upgrade my body but most likely with a used 7D which I hope the market will be flooded with and drive prices down.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: Only a "my Canon dealer told me" post, but maybe there is some truth to it
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
It might be nothing but truely: if the seller was about to lose his credibility and potentially lose an order then there someting could be about it. As far as he was really good informed himself.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Joker328

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
I don't know why, but I find this pretty convincing. I mean if you were going there to buy a brand new Nikon camera, why would he make up some story to convince you to WAIT and buy something later. No business person in their right mind would do that, UNLESS the owner actually values his customers and was sharing some inside info to win your long-term business, which does make a lot of sense in the photo business. So you have to figure the owner is probably telling you what he heard from the rep. The only question is whether the rep is honest, or just making stuff up to cut into Nikon's D800 preorders. Again, if he has any interest in maintaining long-term business, this would be a dumb move, but I've seen sales people do dumber things.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »
I don't know why, but I find this pretty convincing. I mean if you were going there to buy a brand new Nikon camera, why would he make up some story to convince you to WAIT and buy something later. No business person in their right mind would do that, UNLESS the owner actually values his customers and was sharing some inside info to win your long-term business, which does make a lot of sense in the photo business. So you have to figure the owner is probably telling you what he heard from the rep. The only question is whether the rep is honest, or just making stuff up to cut into Nikon's D800 preorders. Again, if he has any interest in maintaining long-term business, this would be a dumb move, but I've seen sales people do dumber things.

Yes, I agree with this one
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

willrobb

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
Very interesting, if the info is fairly solid and if it's something a bit more than a 5D2 bit not quite a 1DX (as you would expect from sn upgrade) AND the 5D2 would be continued this new mystery camera could pack quite a punch me thinks.

Hold off on the jump to Nikon for a little while...

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
I really hope they dont price the new 5d replacement wrong. A price right in the middle the current 5dii price and 1dx price is too high for a lot of people that want to upgrade. That would be about £3000gbp. Or maybe im just tight. I hope they price it similar to the d800 at £2300gbp at the most.

Do people think the 5dmkii will loose much value or stay at the same price?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:53:48 AM by CJRodgers »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Whatever the new cam: Hopefully it wont be anymore than $3500

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
good idea to wait and see what news comes in a couple of weeks, hope you old backup gear can cover you in the meantime. sorry about the loss of your gear i hope you had insurance to pick up the tab on the new gear.

one thing i cant believe Nikon havent addressed is that tiny Dpad controller on the back its really a frustrating setup
APS-H Fanboy

tt

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
I'd say maybe £2999. After a few months the retailers can drop it to £2850 or so if they want. The new 5D isn't going to be 2007/2008 prices.

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »
If this guy is like most other camera dealers, he'd be trying to upsell you a more expensive model. In effect, what he's saying is: "hey, don't spend $3K on the D800, wait for a few weeks and I'd sell you the 5D3 for a few hundred $$$ more".  Cha-ching :P j/k
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
It makes more sense if the 5D2 would indeed remain in the lineup as the "entry-level" ~$2K FF cam, while the 5D3 goes up and beats the D800 on specs to justify its >$3K price. Sandwich the Nikon in between the two Canon FF bodies.
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

Flake

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:33 AM »

I wonder just how many pre order sales from people switching to Nikon are cancelled and switched back to Canon when their new model is announced a few weeks later.  What does the dealer gain from telling you about the Canon?  Well it's a lot of admin work for someone who can probably sell every D800 / 5D MkII  they're allocated, but having to turn a customer away when they're sold is unpalatable especially if someone later changes their mind.  Better to get it right with a considered buyer than either a customer who fickley changes their mind, or later has regrets over that choice.

As for the performance of the D800 I'm surprised by the number of people who are obviously blinded by the megapixel count.  For me that is a big negative, it means hugely extended workflow as everything takes longer, and more storage for shoots.  No one commercially needs files this big, people have been shooting commercially on 12MP Nikons for years without complaint.

I shall wait until the first reviews of the Nikon D800, especially with regard to noise & dynamic range, I'm too committed to Canon for mine to be an easy change, but I'm sure that any 5D MkII replacement will easily meet the demands of professional clients.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:33 AM »

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »
I believe Canon has a viable opponent to the D800. My only concern is....Will the IQ be better?

The AF needs to be at least 45-pt. from predecessor 1D series. Hopefully it will be 61pt new setup.

Finally, I wonder what happened to the 28MP or 32MP specs we kept hearing months ago. Everything says 22MP.

Nikon has had better ISO performance in last gen, namely because at 12MP it's easier to achieve. Going forward, we can only surmise how that will play out this generation. It's hard for me to believe Canon is not doing everything in its power to defeat Nikon at its own game. The D800 is VERY tempting, but I know reviews are needed before I dump my Canon gear. Also, I have the D7000 and 3 primes already...35/1.8, 50/1.8D, 85/1.8D. The switch is not that big a jump for me. But my 5dII bests the D7000 in metering and skin tones. Canon DSLRs have better ergonomics also, and I want to stay with them. But the longer I hold onto my 5dII and D7000, the more their value will plummet. 
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »