November 27, 2014, 08:36:18 PM

Author Topic: what advantage does canon see in delaying their response to d800???  (Read 8046 times)

rhysgray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
why is there nothing solid yet?

canon rumors FORUM

StacyC

Re: what advantage does canon see in delaying their response to d800???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
Most likely they are getting everything perfect.  You don't want them to cut corners and have a defective or less than top of the line product do you?

Picsfor

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
Yes, they have to get all the bumph produced for a press announcement etc, and arrange for the announcement.

It would be a foolish person who done all that just to find they couldn't deliver on what they announced   :-X :o

Neeneko

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »
They probably already have their own release schedule, possibly planned out many months in advance, with a lot of moving parts.. both in terms of coordination and logistics.   Companies the size of Canon can not really turn on a dime.

LuCoOc

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
The D800 was announced 10 days ago. Up untill now Nikon was the one the react, because they couldn't sell the D700 in Japan and the 5D II was the better overall camera. <--- my opinion
I'm sure Canon has different versions of the 5D II successor in the pipe. Some might be ready some might not.

"Nothing solid" within ten days after the  competitor's announcement doesn't mean anything and we have heard various rumors for end of February/March announcement dates for the canon side.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:50:26 PM by LuCoOc »
7D - BG
3 Ls - 1 EF - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
What difference does a few weeks or even months make when it comes out to products that will be out in the market for more than a few years. 

Especially true since the Nikon D800 is not even out in the market yet... You can pre-order, but general public cannot go into a store, buy, walk out and start shooting...

In fact... for Canon, it has much more impact to make their announcement right as the Nikons are en route to hitting the shelves... in short... "That camera from Nikon that is available for sale next week is outdated, and will remain outdated for the next two years. 

Notice how Canon appears to have delayed the 1DX to possibly tweak the F/8 AF through firmware?  They will not make that mistake twice. 

Not that the D4 appears to beat the 1DX in many areas, especially ISO, MP and possibly AF (except for f/8), do announcing 1 if not 2 cameras right before the Nikons hits the shelves all of the sudden takes a lot of the momentum away, especially when all the press is about the New Canon

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
Last time they rushed the 5d2, they were tarred with Black Dots... they are probably making sure nothing happens that can hurt them or their product. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
what advantage does canon see in delaying their response to d800???

What advantage did Nikon see in delaying their response to the 1D X???
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Raddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
Is it only me, but why do people always need an answer for even the weirdest questions?  ;)

No offense, but in this case I doubt that a company like Canon feels the need to react on any release made by Nikon or any other company. Why should they bother? It's not like they weren't developing cams and lenses anyway. Just to respond to any other fresh product on the market? I don't think so, it's all about profit and hopefully having the best product available.  ;)

Besides that I wonder why people always need someone else saying: No, don't get a 5D Mark II now, wait for the 5D Mark III. Now, as the release seems to be around the corner it's a little different situation. But speaking e.g. of rumoured lenses or maybe even lenses which weren't even rumoured, why do people need some sort of confirmation on what to do? It's not like people in here can really pretend the future.

If I would really care about all these postings I wouldn't end up with a camera or lens by 2015 or even at all as I would always be waiting on the next model.
The recommendation I like most in here:
Get your gear you have and go outside and take pictures, improve your skills.
This is so true...

On the other hand it's the canonrumours forum.  I guess this justifies those questions. ;)

Wish you all a great weekend and lots of good pictures...
5D Mark III (gripped) | 60D (gripped)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Speedlite 430EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

RedEye

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
If you prove you're competing in the same league, there is always the possibility you'll come up short.  If you decide that you're in a different league, then why bother posting score.  The fact is that Canon and Nikon are basically in the same consumer segment, so let's not feed the fire to expose our short comings by looking like we were caught off balance. 

Kinda like if you walk up to a guy in a bar and punch him in the face.  If he does nothing, that's when you should be very very concerned.... ;-)

markIVantony

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
I wouldn't suggest that you assume Canon is delaying to gain some advantage.

There are a few possibilities:
1. Products have an Announce date and a General Availability (GA) date, with the Announce usually being a few months before GA.  Companies may delay announcement of the product if Development issues aren't resolved (SW/HW/etc), for supply chain issues, etc.  Basically, any problem which prevents delivering a quality product on schedule.  When this happens, all hands are usually on deck trying to resolve the problems.  So, you can't Announce unless you are fully committed to have the product available for shipping by GA.

2. We simply haven't reached their Announce date yet.

Go take some pictures!

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
2. We simply haven't reached their Announce date yet.

Go take some pictures!

Amen
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

D.Sim

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »
why is there nothing solid yet?

what disadvantage is there in delaying their response?

In fact - is there even a delay? They could well be just sticking to their guns - which, in a fact, would be better news for us, as it indicates they're extremely confident in their product, even more so after they've seen the competition and didn't end up having a knee-jerk reaction and announcing something incomplete/not ready.

If Cracked is to be believed - its even more advantageous to wait

Quote from: Source: [url=http://www.cracked.com/article_19664_6-counterintuitive-tricks-to-beating-popular-game-shows.html
Cracked[/url] ]

It's called the "first mover disadvantage," and it says that in most turn-based contests, the first person to move has the worst chance of success because he or she is going in completely blind. As a result, the person going second gets the benefits from the information gained by the first mover without any of the costs.

This applies to any real world situation where people are competing to come up with the best answer to the same question. Steve Jobs knew this better than anybody. Despite his reputation as a great modern-day inventor, Jobs never really invented anything. Not the windows-based operating system, not the MP3 player, not the tablet and certainly not the cellphone. Jobs' business strategy was to sit back and wait for other companies to invent new products, then figure out what the coolest version of that product would look like.

its not like the current Canon offerings in that area - the 1D series, 5DMkII, 7D even - are lacking in features/desperately in a need of an upgrade.

Maui probably said it best

In fact... for Canon, it has much more impact to make their announcement right as the Nikons are en route to hitting the shelves... in short... "That camera from Nikon that is available for sale next week is outdated, and will remain outdated for the next two years. 

Nikon have shown all their cards... Canon haven't even started to play.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »

Quackator

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:58 AM »
Remember Minolta being first in AF? Have you maybe tried to lock focus on the Minolta
logo with a camera of the first series AF Minoltas? Dark blue and white, sharp lines - but
no vertical lines. It couldn't lock.

Canon and Nikon beat Minolta badly when they had their systems ready.

Nikon has produced a camera that incinerates wild discussions about the question
if their current lenses can resolve that much. Canon is currently shelling out one lens
after the other - I bet they won't have that discussion so intensive.

Yes, 800 dollars for a 2.8/28mm are steep. But the target audience is not
the regular Joey Sixpack, this lens addresses people who would otherwise
buy a prome for their Phase one camera.

There is still a small edge in quality left in current medium format systems
over 35mm DSLRs. But it is melting faster than polar ice under the ozone hole.
One hour of exposure time might soon be available in 35mm DSLRs as well,
and with diffraction limited lens designs.....  I wouldn't invest in shares of
medium format producers now.

Regarding Nikon: There are definitely people who will switch from Canon to
Nikon in a frail attempt to substitute lack of skill with a better camera.
Once canon shows their next thing they might convert back.....  :-)

The rest of the market, and especially many professionals is not moving that
fast, continuity in a business is a strong asset.

So.... from a professional point of view I would regard any announcement within
a time frame of 6 to 9 months as de facto simultaneously.

But you certainly will not have to wait too long. There are Canon roadshows
planned staring in March. I think they will carry new stuff, then.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
Assuming an announcement on Feb 28th as suspected, this would not even be a month lag from NIkon!  I dont call this a delay!  Maybe they just could not get the proper conference room booked in time - lol

;)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »