June 25, 2018, 04:06:38 PM

Author Topic: Tethered WiFi on the EOS80D -how do YOU do it?  (Read 2219 times)

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Tethered WiFi on the EOS80D -how do YOU do it?
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:27:48 AM »
hello.
From a couple of years back I have the TP-link modem zapped to co-operate with the DSLR Controller app that is on my old Samsung slate. It works on the 5D3 and the 80D as it should.  It is a battery hog so an external power pack is a good idea.

Now with the EOS80D I thought I could skip the rig I had made and just shoot directly with the Canon-supplied proprietary software. Well, it just does not seem to work. I get a couple of pictures that are out of focus and then the thing stalls. I have tried various settings and it is very frustrating.

The Helicon app is a bit better but nothing I would use in a real situation. The old TP-Link takes pictures as long as there is juice and it is in communication with the Android device.

No to my question: How do you do it?

Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

canon rumors FORUM

Tethered WiFi on the EOS80D -how do YOU do it?
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:27:48 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Re: Tethered WiFi on the EOS80D -how do YOU do it?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
You are missing a lot of information needed to answer the question.  What are you tethering to?  If you are tethering to a Smart Phone, make sure you use the right App, its Canon Connect.  There is a old one, Canon EOS Remote, do not use it!

I find Canon's apps to be klunky at best, but they do work.

So, provide some specifics about exactly what you are trying to do.

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
The problem was really elementary.
Where I live the Canon app is "not available in your area" or so it says in Google Play site.
I got it downloaded using a VPN. There were lots and lots of problems with the connection and the stability.
I complained about it, deleted the app and tried to reload it. This time I got the message "not compatible with any of your devices".

Next, I got an ".apk" downloaded from the site cafeapk.com, I installed it and now everything works like a charm.

For some reason, Canon or Google –or both– do not want people living here in Indian Ocean area to be able to download certain applications the logic of which remains a mystery to me.

To sum it up, Google Play gave me a crippled version of the Canon app.
Once I got the real one, problems disappeared.

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:06 AM »
Upgrade: Got a second-hand iPad Pro. It works as intended.
Now, then...to use an external memory stick as the photo storage?
Got the stick already but I have not had time to see if the Canon SW accepts it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:06 AM »