January 23, 2018, 03:25:30 AM

Author Topic: If you're going to buy a new PC, wait - or buy AMD (big Intel bug found)  (Read 7907 times)

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: If you're going to buy a new PC, wait - or buy AMD (big Intel bug found)
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
At this point I’m basicallly just going to wait for 2020 to shop for a new CPU.
Thankfully I already have some decent systems, but if I only had an older CPU right now I would be mad.

Looks like it’s going to be a while before Spectre can actually be dealt with properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Talys

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
At this point I’m basicallly just going to wait for 2020 to shop for a new CPU.
Thankfully I already have some decent systems, but if I only had an older CPU right now I would be mad.

Looks like it’s going to be a while before Spectre can actually be dealt with properly.

I really wouldn't worry about it if you wanted to buy a new computer.  If there is a difference in Photoshop or Lightroom, it's immeasurable. 

On the other hand, frankly, the practical difference between a 6, 7, and 8th gen desktop i7 and between a new $300 processor and $1,500 are all relatively small for PS/LR, as long as you have plenty of RAM and SSD.

In Photoshop or Lightroom, I think I actually notice caching to m.2 SSD's more than I notice the faster CPU speed.  The problem is that everything that is sluggish in a 3 year old PC is still sluggish in a brand new, 8700K with all the works, either before or after the Spectre/Meltdown fix.  So things I wish happened faster (even if it's only a couple of seconds) are still that way, and frankly, I can't tell the difference between 1.9, 2.1 and 2.4 seconds (that would be generations of PCs)... they're all irritatingly slow. 

And... everything else is instant.

IMHO, for PS/LR stuff, if you have a Haswell+ processor, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you know you'll get a very specific benefit, because even though the processor is certainly faster/has more cores/etc, it isn't going to FEEL any faster.   If you play demanding 3D games (or want to mine bitcoin...), you'll get more mileage out of buying a GeForce 1080 than anything.

And now even GPUs are affected!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/10/nvidia-gpu-meltdown-and-spectre-patches/

Sad, isn't it?  But basically, anything that has speculative execution and where arbitrary code can run is probably affected to some extent :'(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:21:53 PM by Talys »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
So what does this mean for secure internet banking and other 'private' operations

If, for example, you do a virus sweep then open only your chosen browser (IE, Google, Mozilla...) then go onto your banking website will you be secure?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »