July 18, 2018, 08:14:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon Continues To Research Putting IS into Tilt-Shift Lenses  (Read 6964 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Continues To Research Putting IS into Tilt-Shift Lenses
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
It appears that Canon continues to research image stabilization in tilt-shift lenses. Are we possibly going to see more tilt-shift lenses in the future with IS? Or are we a ways away and likely won’t see such a thing until the next updates in a decade or so.

From Canon News:

Japan Patent Application 2017-227697 deals with the wiring of the IS elements that tilt and move with the corresponding tilt of the lens.  Specifically how to optimize that because to provide the flexible interconnects necessary for the IS unit would increase complexity.

We haven’t anything about more tilt-shift lenses, I think it’s safe to say that the latest 3 will be it for a while.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Continues To Research Putting IS into Tilt-Shift Lenses
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »

ScottyP

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon Continues To Research Putting IS into Tilt-Shift Lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
Now it is clear Canon is messing with ahsanford.  No new 50mm with IS but slews of new TS lenses, and now new TS lenses with IS.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
I just wish they'd innovate some.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
Now it is clear Canon is messing with ahsanford.  No new 50mm with IS but slews of new TS lenses, and now new TS lenses with IS.

They are going to put AF in tilt-shifts next.  Then tilt-shifts will get a small onboard refrigerator to hold your beer.  Then they will come an onboard robo-monkey that comes out to hold your camera and take trippy tilt-focus portraits of you.

Those are clearly much bigger priorities than offering a modern 50 prime you can do shoot anything with.   :-[

- A

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
What it boils down to seems to be where the circuit board that controls the IS unit is located.  By placing it in a optimal location, the bending of the flex circuit is reduced.

I really doubt if there will be IS in a Canon tilt-shift in the near future.

ecqns

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
I just want a 13 or 14mm TS-E.
I hear Nikon's new 19mm is great with a price to match, if they come out with something wider than 17mm I could see architecture photographers like me look into switching systems.

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
What would be the usage scenario?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »

Of IS?

It would allow T/S users to leave the tripod, one would think.  Video for sure, but stills might benefit as well.

- A

Random Orbits

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:32:11 PM »

Of IS?

It would allow T/S users to leave the tripod, one would think.  Video for sure, but stills might benefit as well.

- A

Agree with Antonio Refa.  Now quite sure how much benefit will be to TS-E lenses.  The shake you get from making adjustments on the fly handheld (when you holding the camera one handed) is much larger than the typical jitter.  I'd rather have the lenses encoded so that distortion/vignetting maps can be applied with tilt and shift applied.

Aaron D

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • web site
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
Dammit Canon!  Put a tripod mount on your TSE lenses like Schneider does and Hartblei even.  In the Ukraine for crying out loud! 

ecqns

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:21:23 PM »
Dammit Canon!  Put a tripod mount on your TSE lenses like Schneider does and Hartblei even.  In the Ukraine for crying out loud!

Yes that would be really helpful - maybe they will do it for my fantasy 13mm TS-E

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »

According to the patent, it allows images without having to place the camera on a tripod.  They say that there is a demand for the feature from those who take stock photos and need a very large number of images, presumably each slightly different or from different angles that takes too much time when using a tripod.

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
IS on a TSE lens? Can't find a use for IS on long lenses hand held so why would one want it on a lens that needs to be used on a tripod/support to make use of it's focus/DOF/perspective capabilities?

Perhaps I am missing something?
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:55 AM »
I guess none of you have looked at Instagram lately, or paid much attention to general photography trends in the last five years or so. Selective focus is the big draw, and people want it faster and easier. Making a tilt-shift lens with IS makes perfect sense, if the size and weight can also be kept down. (So don't expect them to match the current TS-Es in resolving power, not that resolution matters for trendy photography.)

The first company that can make a tilt-shift, autofocus, stabilised, weather sealed, equivalent 24-35mm lens for an APS-C body at under 500g would pretty much take over all of Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. And that is huge money.

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »
I guess none of you have looked at Instagram lately, or paid much attention to general photography trends in the last five years or so. Selective focus is the big draw, and people want it faster and easier. Making a tilt-shift lens with IS makes perfect sense, if the size and weight can also be kept down. (So don't expect them to match the current TS-Es in resolving power, not that resolution matters for trendy photography.)

The first company that can make a tilt-shift, autofocus, stabilised, weather sealed, equivalent 24-35mm lens for an APS-C body at under 500g would pretty much take over all of Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. And that is huge money.

Interesting thoughts as I have little or no knowledge of the platforms (Instagram etc) that you mention. However I do know that IS hampers AF performance so why would one want IS on short lenses? Add to this the set up time for a TSE lens and even AF becomes redundant. Even on my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS hand held IS is just a hindrance so on a short TSE lens? Looks pretty useless to me!

Again - am I missing something?
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »