February 22, 2018, 04:15:40 PM

Author Topic: Tripod help  (Read 2676 times)

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I do not own the lens listed above
Re: Tripod help
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
Personally I use a tripod that doesn't have a centre column...so I won't be tempted to ever use it. Then i need a tripod where the top plate is just below chin height so when I use a camera / bracket / ball head the camera view finder comes to eye level. Then I need carbon fibre lightness and ease of mobility. For me that's a Gitzo GT3542LS.
It's far from perfect and you'll need regular spare parts if you regularly go any where near salt water...but it fulfils my requirements. I get really stable images from it using telephoto lenses with long exposures in high winds.   

Same, No center, no thought of using it, no stability issues. Get the right height pod (with ballhead and camera mounted on top that suits your height)
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
My first step is to make a list of which tripods will work for me, I'm 6"2 and like to raise my camera to eye level without raising a center column.  That narrows the selection down to about 5% of the tripods out there.

Then, hopefully armed with a list of 4 -6 units, I check Craigslist, Amazon, B&H, Adorama, and perhaps greentoe to see what prices are realistic, and then make a decision as to used or new.  I find that legs with about 62 in with center column down will work, because the head and QR adds to the height.

While Carbon Fiber is popular, don't dismiss Aluminum.  You may be able to get a better unit for the same price as a lesser CF model.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I do not own the lens listed above
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »
The taller you are the more likelihood you need a four section pod which most folks would like to avoid but that's life buddy.
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »