February 21, 2018, 01:09:16 AM

Author Topic: Canon TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro Sample Images  (Read 3429 times)

st jack photography

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • ..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
    • St Jack Photography
Re: Canon TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro Sample Images
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
So Photography BLOG has posted sample images from all three new TS-Es over the last several days, all from the same location (and looks to be same time also), and didn't really explore many of the key uses for those lenses. 

Have to agree. In all three galleries we saw the same useless and low quality images with no explanation how the picture had been taken. I still don't know if TS lenses have any advantages compared to macro lenses in macro photography and if yes what they are and how to apply them.

Yes, their example images were horrible and unhelpful, but there is a clear advantage of the new ts lenses. I own several primes including Zeiss glass and the 100mm L IS, and the 135 is the sharpest lens I ever tested as well as being just the best product lens I have ever used. So that nice 135mm zeiss APo-Sonnar f2 I have? I no longer have any use for it, as I can tilt and get less DoF than the f2 aperture, lol, and the 100L? I dont use it either, anymore, and it used to be my favorite lens, but now I only use it when I need to go to 1:1 with my Nissen mf18 ring light, which is pretty much never. In my several posts above, I have provided a few (of dozens of recent personal experiences) where ts-e 135 did jobs that the 100L could not do at the same settings. For example, I was able to fill over half the frame with just a spider, and a lot of the spider was in focus. With the 100 macro, at the same f8 aperture, it is not as sharp, and you could only see the eyes in sharp focus. Same thing with the necklace shots I posted; the 100 would have had 1/10 of those necklaces in focus, unless I went down to f16 or used my autorail to focus stack, both of which has cons. For my line of work, I need both the 100 L Macro and at least one good tilt-shift lens. For product work, there isn't really one lens that does it all, and as a product photographer I have 5 lenses I use regularly, so maybe this is just a niche lens, but I would say that for a product or even a portrait shooter it is a necessary part of a kit.
"I took my lucky break and I broke it in two." - Daniel Johnston

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences and images St Jack.  I don't know much about product photography, but found all of this very interesting
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

pardus

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
I have a 5DSR and am a product photographer as well. I have been interested in the 135 but not sure if manual focus is  a good choice for me. My main workhorse is the 100mm 2.8L lens and it is pretty decent. I also have a zeiss 50mm macro and I struggle with the manual focus. Tethered, I can use my laptop to focus and while sharp in live view, the actual photo is a touch soft. I also notice that if I turn off live view after focusing and depress shutter, I will not get a focus confirmation. However, if I then refocus with the viewfinder, I will get a focus confirmation beep. If I then, turn live view back on with the viewfinder manual focus and confirmation, it is blurry in live view. The viewfinder shot is always better focus in the actual shot then the live view focused image.

Do you notice any difference in manual focus between live view and viewfinder and do you have that same experience when comparing the two methods?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »