May 24, 2018, 03:56:40 PM

Author Topic: November CIPA Sales Numbers Are In, Year-Over-Year Slightly Up  (Read 7318 times)

old-pr-pix

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: November CIPA Sales Numbers Are In, Year-Over-Year Slightly Up
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »
Just compare a 300mm f4 Oly with the focal length equal 600L f4 for size and weight.

While you're at it, just compare the resulting DOF as well.  :P   That Olympus is a 600mm f/8 lens in DOF terms for FF, isn't it?  That ought to be a whole lot smaller!

- A

The Oly is 600 mm equivalent focal length and true f4 in terms of light gathering.  For long telephoto I'll typically take all the extra DOF I can get.  In this case f8 equivalent is a significant advantage.  Now if we were talking about shorter focal length and portraits I would concede to your point!
Two systems:  Canon & m43-Olympus/Panasonic

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 03:27:31 AM »
Just compare a 300mm f4 Oly with the focal length equal 600L f4 for size and weight.

While you're at it, just compare the resulting DOF as well.  :P   That Olympus is a 600mm f/8 lens in DOF terms for FF, isn't it?  That ought to be a whole lot smaller!

- A

The Oly is 600 mm equivalent focal length and true f4 in terms of light gathering.  For long telephoto I'll typically take all the extra DOF I can get.  In this case f8 equivalent is a significant advantage.  Now if we were talking about shorter focal length and portraits I would concede to your point!

I don't really understand why you would compare an MFT 300 f/4 with a FF 600 f/4 for size/weight.

Going by that reasoning, why not compare it to a Canon 400mm on an APSC?  Or, to take it to an extreme, to an SX, which is teenie tiny and gives an effective 1200mm. 

The answer, of course is the same as for the question, "Why would anyone ever buy a camera with a bigger sensor if what you care about is telephoto reach?". 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
The answer, of course is the same as for the question, "Why would anyone ever buy a camera with a bigger sensor if what you care about is telephoto reach?".

Why, indeed?  Well, I have my reasons.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »