May 22, 2018, 12:20:44 PM

Author Topic: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?  (Read 18933 times)

ethermine

• PowerShot SX60 HS
Re: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »
No surprises there. They all produce fantastic images, but after watching one of my favorite adventure photographers Chris Burkard laugh about how he's destroyed yet another Sony camera while photographing near water, or rainy conditions, It's made me appreciate my Canon gear all the more for being able to survive all the torture I've subjected them to across the globe. Then again, I'd happily shoot, and I probably wouldn't worry much about my Sony gear getting destroyed if Sony gave me gear like candy.

It would bug me knowing I wouldn't be able to completely rely on my gear under those conditions, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

tmroper

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
I took a great portrait workshop once with a retired conflict photographer (retired from the conflict stuff, not photography), and he berated the class for complaining about going out in the rain to go find people on the street to shoot. Many, I think, were worried their precious, expensive cameras might get damaged.  But clients/editors don't care one bit about your weather excuses, and that's what he was trying to impart.  For some photographers, both they and their gear need to be as weather-resistant as possible.

woodman411

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
No surprises there. They all produce fantastic images, but after watching one of my favorite adventure photographers Chris Burkard laugh about how he's destroyed yet another Sony camera while photographing near water, or rainy conditions, It's made me appreciate my Canon gear all the more for being able to survive all the torture I've subjected them to across the globe. Then again, I'd happily shoot, and I probably wouldn't worry much about my Sony gear getting destroyed if Sony gave me gear like candy.

It would bug me knowing I wouldn't be able to completely rely on my gear under those conditions, though.

You can't rely on Sony when it's hot (overheating). You can't rely on Sony when it's wet (weather sealing). You can't rely on Sony for shooting stars (star eating). You can't rely on Sony for studio work (stopped-down focusing). What's next?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:57 PM »
I took a great portrait workshop once with a retired conflict photographer (retired from the conflict stuff, not photography), and he berated the class for complaining about going out in the rain to go find people on the street to shoot. Many, I think, were worried their precious, expensive cameras might get damaged.  But clients/editors don't care one bit about your weather excuses, and that's what he was trying to impart.  For some photographers, both they and their gear need to be as weather-resistant as possible.

And that is why I carry a 7D2 and an Olympus tough for when it really gets nasty..... any camera with three underwater modes laughs at a little rain!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »

You can't rely on Sony when it's hot (overheating). You can't rely on Sony when it's wet (weather sealing). You can't rely on Sony for shooting stars (star eating). You can't rely on Sony for studio work (stopped-down focusing). What's next?

You can't rely on Sony. PERIOD!
The best camera is the one in your hands

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »
Canon's tired old camera still doesn't leak. Ugh!!! Sony innovates and you get a built in canteen. If you've been shooting 4k it'll make you hot cocoa too.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

Click

• Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 07:05:49 PM »
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 07:05:49 PM »

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
Not surprised by the results.

It's a Sony.

In-The-Dark

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 11:42:44 PM »
The sony needs a hole in the bottom to let the water out....

The drain plug could be mighty expensive ;D.

camerone

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 11:58:47 PM »
I don’t have experience with any of the really high end Canon bodies , but my 6D has held up magnificently to wet (and cold) weather magnificently (with weather-sealed lenses of course). Multiple times I’ve almost expected it to fail but it pulled through. Not sure I would trust a Sony though, even before seeing this video...
6D, 17-40/4, 24-105/4, 70-200/4, 50/1.8

amorse

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Flickr
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
That was enlightening, but not all-together unexpected!  I recently used my relatively new 5D IV in complete downpour for at least 45 minutes without break and I was genuinely concerned that the camera may not be able to deal with it.  Needless to say, the camera was fine and showed no evidence of damage.  I, however, looked like a drowned rat.

I can't help but draw parallels between shooting in ever wetter conditions to seeing how empty you can continue to drive on a tank of gas.  Eventually you'll go too far, but then it'll be too late.  Except one is a more expensive error than the other I guess.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
I don’t have experience with any of the really high end Canon bodies , but my 6D has held up magnificently to wet (and cold) weather magnificently (with weather-sealed lenses of course). Multiple times I’ve almost expected it to fail but it pulled through. Not sure I would trust a Sony though, even before seeing this video...

6DII, as well.  This winter, I got caught a few times where the weather turned very quickly, and I decided to just stay out.  My 6DII and 70-200/2.8 and 100-400LII have both made it through Vancouver rain looking a whole lot better than I did.  I gave it a pretty good once-over to check to see if there was any water in the camera, and there was none at all.

Now, mind you, if I had been carrying a camera that was known to be a poor water performer, I would have tucked and run :-)

hne

• EOS 80D
  • Gear limits your creativity
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 01:15:30 AM »
The sony needs a hole in the bottom to let the water out....

It probably has. Roger Cicala did a teardown of a water damaged A7sII and noted there was no sealing on half the battery door. That'd be to let out the water that can pour in around the non-sealed front wheel, I guess.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/about-getting-your-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 01:15:30 AM »

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »
This mirrors (no pun intended) my observations and experience with build quality: Canon > Nikon > Sony , no experience with Olympus.
I can remember (but didn't find it anymore) an Oly add spot where they took a camera (was it a E3?) under a shower.
Really heavy rain simulation.
Wouldn't do that with my 5D3.  ;)

By the way:
An A9 would have been more interesting, as this is the dedicated heavy duty (Sports, wildlife) Sony.
But I suppose their sealings to be equal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:33:37 AM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:36:39 AM »
You can't rely on Sony. PERIOD!
LOL

That simplifies it to the essence.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:36:39 AM »