February 22, 2018, 07:52:35 AM

Author Topic: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?  (Read 12731 times)

bhf3737

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • ---
Re: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 03:18:48 AM »
You can't rely on Sony when it's hot (overheating). You can't rely on Sony when it's wet (weather sealing). You can't rely on Sony for shooting stars (star eating). You can't rely on Sony for studio work (stopped-down focusing). What's next?

Look at the bright side. It is a perfect travel companion. You don't need to take a water bottle, Sony does that for you! You can also use it to steam iron your wrinkled jacket after taking a few test shots in rain!! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 03:18:48 AM »

Ryananthony

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 04:10:46 AM »
I would have loved to see the comments here if canon was the only one who failed.  ;D

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 04:48:49 AM »
Maybe it has advantages to be conservative and innovate a little bit more slowly. I prefer real tools which usually are a little bit conservative and evolve with moderate speed.

This test shows who has reliable TOOLS and who not.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »
I would have loved to see the comments here if canon was the only one who failed.  ;D
My comment would have been:
Canon, go back to the drawing board, do your job and fix it!

But they did their job well in first, because they knew what matters  8)
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:59 AM »
If you've been shooting 4k it'll make you hot cocoa too.

LOL!

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »

That indeed would have been most interesting! ;). Personally, I would have been shocked.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 06:13:17 AM »
I would have liked to see a full tear-down after the wetting, there could be a whole lot of water inside that we can’t see by just looking at the sensor and battery compartment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:33:19 AM by IglooEater »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 06:13:17 AM »

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
Maybe it has advantages to be conservative and innovate a little bit more slowly. I prefer real tools which usually are a little bit conservative and evolve with moderate speed.

This test shows who has reliable TOOLS and who not.

+1!

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
I wonder whether or not DPReview will refer to this test, and if they do, how  they present it... My guess is. It at all, or downplay the importance of it.

Hflm

• EOS Rebel SL2
  • Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
No surprises there. They all produce fantastic images, but after watching one of my favorite adventure photographers Chris Burkard laugh about how he's destroyed yet another Sony camera while photographing near water, or rainy conditions, It's made me appreciate my Canon gear all the more for being able to survive all the torture I've subjected them to across the globe. Then again, I'd happily shoot, and I probably wouldn't worry much about my Sony gear getting destroyed if Sony gave me gear like candy.

It would bug me knowing I wouldn't be able to completely rely on my gear under those conditions, though.

You can't rely on Sony when it's hot (overheating). You can't rely on Sony when it's wet (weather sealing). You can't rely on Sony for shooting stars (star eating). You can't rely on Sony for studio work (stopped-down focusing). What's next?

You can't rely on Sony. PERIOD!
That is pretty much nonsense.

I shot 5div and Sony A9 in parallel last year, having had many rainy wedding days without any problem at all.
And if the rain is too heavy, I wouldn't want to shoot at all. Majority of couples wouldn't anyway, too. But for the situations I had to, it worked flawlessly.

Drawing such a general conclusion is usual fanboy gibberish.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have EM1-II like weather resistance for every product.

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
Interesting article, thanks for sharing it :)

The takeaway is that if you own an A7RII/III, keep it out of the rain and definitely away from the shoreline (where there might be a mist of salt water).  That was only two 15 minute tests -- if you were out there for hours, the Sony would probably be toast.  It was particularly bad that the water got into the shutter blades, battery compartment and basically everything else inside. 

If I owned an A7RIII and it got water in it to the degree shown in the article, I'd send it in to be serviced by Sony before using it again.  In my opinion, the potential for fires with lithium batteries is just too high.  Plus, there may be cavities where water can enter, but which not particularly exposed and are problematic for evaporation.
Not just A7R3 but any Sony camera doesnt go well with humid weather, even A9 falls in this category.

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
I wonder whether or not DPReview will refer to this test, and if they do, how  they present it... My guess is. It at all, or downplay the importance of it.

They'll pretend they have never heard of it.

woodman411

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

I shot 5div and Sony A9 in parallel last year, having had many rainy wedding days without any problem at all.
And if the rain is too heavy, I wouldn't want to shoot at all. Majority of couples wouldn't anyway, too. But for the situations I had to, it worked flawlessly.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have EM1-II like weather resistance for every product.

Who's the fanboy? It can't be you - the one that takes his own personal experience as gospel by calling the other "nonsense", and then calling a camera in a wedding shoot "flawless". Use it like a pro, meaning, think of taking the "money" shot, shots that people look at and say "wow, I would pay for that". When you shoot like that, you'll find *every* camera has flaws/limitations/quirks. And you'll sound more like Sung Park or Jeff Titterington, you know, real pros who have used Sony for money shots: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59526785
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:54:40 AM by woodman411 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
No surprises there. They all produce fantastic images, but after watching one of my favorite adventure photographers Chris Burkard laugh about how he's destroyed yet another Sony camera while photographing near water, or rainy conditions, It's made me appreciate my Canon gear all the more for being able to survive all the torture I've subjected them to across the globe. Then again, I'd happily shoot, and I probably wouldn't worry much about my Sony gear getting destroyed if Sony gave me gear like candy.

It would bug me knowing I wouldn't be able to completely rely on my gear under those conditions, though.

You can't rely on Sony. PERIOD!

Yes, I am a Fanboy!

I am a Fanboy of Olympus for their weather sealing and innovation. Best crop camera lineup PERIOD!

I am a Fanboy of Canon for their user interface, service department, and reliability.

I am a fanboy of Nikon for the feature set on their higher end cameras.

I am a Fanboy of both Nikon and Canon for their glass.

I am a fanboy of Sony for Betamax.... sorry, nothing newer than that catches my eye....

BTW, as a "pro", one should realize that cameras are a tool, and if you use them hard, they will break. Sony has a reputation as the worst camera  maker for service.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:50:47 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
I wonder how lower tiered bodies like 80D or 6DII would handle the test. The 80D probably not.

This is really enlightening to me as I'm planning a trip to Vietnam this summer and I realized I need a WS body... I guess I can strike out the Sony.  ;D
Ive had a Canon 6D out in some quite shocking weather on Dartmoor and its been just as good as my 5DS. Ive not had the 6D MKII out in anything other than misty mornings so far so its too hard to tell given its now got the flippy screen.

My Olympus OMD-EM10 has survived a sudden and quite torrential rain storm in the summer of 2017 and came through in flying colours. I remember at the last Photokina Olympus had one of the OMD-EM1 cameras in a case with running water, Ive never seen Sony do the same.
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »