February 21, 2018, 06:44:24 PM

Author Topic: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?  (Read 12669 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
Ultimately, we make personal choices. There is no "one answer for all", our differing needs and preferences give us different answers. For me, when it comes down to a question of small and portable, yet with decent quality, I like Olympus..... but for normal shooting I find glass and ergonomics far more important, and that's why I went Canon. I find Sony to be somewhere in the middle.
Totally agree.  I went with Olympus for its sealing.  I've had my Oly E-M5 in terrible rain storms.  Only issue I found was I couldn't use AF since it would try to focus on individual raindrops between me and intended subject!  I kept my Canon gear for 'serious' work although the latest generation of Oly PRO lenses is fully the equal of Canon L glass for IQ (within abilities of smaller m43 sensor).

They all have weather sealing limits though.    Just reference the forum favorite Tony Northrup's story about his two 5DIII's wiped out by a flash storm.  It's all on video as they tried to protect the cameras.  (Video taken by Panasonic GH4 that survived the storm.)
Apparently, in Canon land, the 1DX2 is the best sealed camera, closely followed by the 7D2..... the latest Olys are supposed to be equivalent..... better sealed than the 5 series!

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

midluk

• EOS 80D
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »
I was out shooting in heavy rain only once, but at that time I had less concern about damage to my 5D4 than to my 100-400 II. You simply can't properly seal a lens that sucks air in every time you zoom. Everything went fine, though.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

peters

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »
I always liked the build quality from Canon, but Nikon is reeeealy great as well. I think the 800d line feels even a little bit better and even studier than the 5d line from Canon.

No surprise on the Sony. But I wonder why this is? The buttons and dials etc. must be as easily sealable as every other button on another button.

The way sony listens to the customers makes me think, that this will be adressed in the a7r4.
With the a7r3 hey fixed very much issues of the a7r2: much better battery, better menus, extra joystick, touchscreen... I think better weather sealing and a better grip may be included in the a7r4.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
The way sony listens to the customers makes me think, that this will be adressed in the a7r4.
With the a7r3 hey fixed very much issues of the a7r2: much better battery, better menus, extra joystick, touchscreen... I think better weather sealing and a better grip may be included in the a7r4.

Except that people complained about the poor sealing of the a7RII, and Sony responded with the  a7RIII.  Maybe the forthcoming a7Sieve III will have better sealing.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
I was out shooting in heavy rain only once, but at that time I had less concern about damage to my 5D4 than to my 100-400 II. You simply can't properly seal a lens that sucks air in every time you zoom. Everything went fine, though.

That’s one of the reasons I like the 70-200F4...... constant length! No pumping damp air through it.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:44 AM »
Hi midluk.
I was surprised the other day, I was out shooting with my 100-400II and I zoomed out (shortened the lens) fast, the draught out of the camera body on to my face really caught me by surprise, :o it made me miss my shot as I wondered what had happened!  ???
I’m guessing the lens is pretty well sealed against rain if the air in it has to get out through the camera! I don’t know if the act of zooming in draws air (water) in through the body or directly in to the lens!  ;)

Cheers, Graham.

7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
Maybe the forthcoming a7Sieve III will have better sealing.  ;)

;D

Is that what the "s" stands for ? I hope it's not the same on my 5Ds

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »

This is worrisome for the A7rIII, a camera that I have been considering.
These test results are a persuasive argument in favor of the 5D4.
Time to rethink ... again .    :o

old-pr-pix

• EOS 80D
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
Hi midluk.
I was surprised the other day, I was out shooting with my 100-400II and I zoomed out (shortened the lens) fast, the draught out of the camera body on to my face really caught me by surprise, :o it made me miss my shot as I wondered what had happened!  ???
I’m guessing the lens is pretty well sealed against rain if the air in it has to get out through the camera! I don’t know if the act of zooming in draws air (water) in through the body or directly in to the lens!  ;)

Cheers, Graham.

Panasonic learned that you can seal a lens too well.  Quickly zooming their 100-400 is impossible.  The sealing is so tight that changing FL either creates a vacuum or compresses air inside the lens making it very hard to move the zoom ring.  Their national rep. told me it can take months for the seals to 'wear in' and allow smooth zooming.  Canon seems to have the 'Goldilocks' solution - at least on my 100-400 Mk I if I want it tighter I just turn the 'smooth-tight' ring a bit.
Two systems:  Canon & Olympus

ecqns

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »

A friend of mine just returned from 2 weeks in Thailand with his Sony a7r2 and reported no problems in the heat, humidity and sudden rainstorms there. He said the camera was drenched a few times.

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »

A friend of mine just returned from 2 weeks in Thailand with his Sony a7r2 and reported no problems in the heat, humidity and sudden rainstorms there. He said the camera was drenched a few times.

I guess it takes some time before the corrosion damage kicks in...

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
No mention of Pentax, though - those cameras, including the medium format 645Z, are full-on water-resistant when their water-resistant line of lenses is used. Pentax would be the ideal kayaking/canoeing SLR - I have seen situations where the camera has gone overboard or gotten soaked in the bottom of the kayak/canoe and keeps on shooting fine. Not that I would give up on a dry box/bag for storing camera and lenses inside kayak/canoe ...

Most of us on land can do just fine with lesser degrees of water resistance. I admit that I am not too comfortable taking my Canon SLR on a kayak, though I see other more skilled kayakers do so, including using long telephotos for birding (that I am not set up to do yet, not having a long tele with IS, just the 400 f/5.6L no-IS).

ecqns

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »

did you read the original article? The Sony even returned to working order after drying out, I think people here didn't read and are assuming it was dead. I think the issue with the test was having the cameras set totally level so water pooled on the top case. Of course its unfortunate water got in but highly unlikely in real life situations to be using the camera in a downpour like that perfectly level. Used handheld water wouldn't have pooled like that. The author says in the conclusion and comments he still fully recommends it as one of the best cameras you can buy. I shoot Sony but not in conditions like that, so I choose the best tool for my job - and that requires high dynamic range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »

midluk

• EOS 80D
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »

That’s one of the reasons I like the 70-200F4...... constant length! No pumping damp air through it.....
My 70-200 had a defective rubber seal at the mount at that time, so I didn't use it.
And it started to rain right when the action was about to start, so there was no time to put the rain cover around camera and lens.
At home the extending part of the lens was wet on the outside multiple times when doing retract-extend-dry cycles.
For some days afterwards I regularly caused an air exchange by retracting and extending the lens multiple times to make sure any internal moisture can dry.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
did you read the original article? The Sony even returned to working order after drying out, I think people here didn't read and are assuming it was dead.

Did you read Larsskv's post?  I think you didn't and are assuming the camera that started working again won't stop working at some point in the future as a direct but delayed result of the water ingress.

In case you aren't aware, that's a common occurrence with water ingress into electronics.  When the water is present, contacts are short-circuited and the device doesn't work.  Then, once the water has evaporated, the device resumes normal function.  However, unless the water was lab-grade ultra pure (the stuff coming from a sprinkler or falling from the sky isn't), the water exposure and the trace salts left behind after it evaporates (or not trace, in the case of salt water exposure) begin the process of corrosion, which progresses inexorably over a period of weeks and months.  When the corrosion becomes severe enough, the device fails again...that time, permanently. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »