August 30, 2014, 02:25:18 PM

Author Topic: 5D mkII Kit Price Hike  (Read 3474 times)

Sptherapper

5D mkII Kit Price Hike
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
Just adding fuel to the fire. While the rebates are still active from last week till this week, the price of a 5D/ 24-105 Kit has seemed to jump up 400 bucks or so (2834-3199). The Body alone has jumped up 250 bucks on BH as well.

What does it mean? Who knows.....

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

-SP

canon rumors FORUM

5D mkII Kit Price Hike
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mkII Kit Price Hike
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
I hope that holds.  I have a 5DMkII that will be one year old in April, about 3500 shutter actuations on it, very gingerly used and cared for, that I plan on selling as quickly as I can if the 5D replacement is to my liking.  If the MkII prices hold, I'll be happy to take a little bit of a scalping to get a quick sell and convert that cash in to a new purchase.

tt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
The prices in the UK crept up after the Christmas cuts - the 5D MkII was about £1500 and the 5D MkII with 24-104 was about £2100 at the lowest prices. It's gone up about £150-200 since January once they've stopped the competing (Jessops, 1stcameras and Jacobs ) - same with the 7D - it's low prices from the Christmas run up have gone also.
Makes some sense though - there's about to be a 2nd hand market filling with used 7D's and 5D MkIIs.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
It was noted in December that you could expect prices to go back up. 

Canon had a dismal 4th quarter and high inventory levels, so they put on some big price reductions to move inventory and to improve their FY 2100 results.  It was likely a 1 time deal.

jcjacinto

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »
Hello All,

I Just got my 5D MK II with kit lens and 70-200 F2.8 L II from B&H and the price i paid including the rebate is $2834 for the 5d Kit and $1974 for the L Lens... What you all think?

Joel

jbwise01

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »

Joker328

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
Just adding fuel to the fire. While the rebates are still active from last week till this week, the price of a 5D/ 24-105 Kit has seemed to jump up 400 bucks or so (2834-3199). The Body alone has jumped up 250 bucks on BH as well.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

-SP

What I find more interesting on that pricewatch website is that for many of the kits (not just 5D), the prices across all of the retailers have become much more in line with each other. If you look at the prices they changed from, there was variance of a few dollars between the retailers, and sometimes much more than that. Now most of them are exactly the same across the retailers. I wonder if Canon is taking a page out of Nikon's book and fixing prices across the authorized retailers. I hope it's just coincidence, but it seems fishy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
I wonder if Canon is taking a page out of Nikon's book and fixing prices across the authorized retailers. I hope it's just coincidence, but it seems fishy.

Canon routinely sets a minimum advertised price during its rebate periods. In order to participate in the rebate, retailers must set their prices in accordance with Canon's minimal pricing. As a result, the savings during a rebate period is seldom as much as the rebate amount. During non-rebate periods, retailers often discount the products to a "street price" that is below Canon's MSRP.

What was unusual is that during the pre-Christmas rebates, retailers seemed to have a little more flexibility. (For example, posting an advertised price and then granting a discounted price if you added the item to your shopping cart.) I don't know why that was, but Canon was obviously trying to boost sales before the end of the year and I suspect they were willing to give the retailers a bit more leeway in order to meet their sales goals. (Plus, of course, most of the rebates were bigger than the ones we are seeing now.)

Finally, on almost all products the two major retailers, Adorama and B&H watch each other very closely. If one offers a special, the other usually quickly follows suit. Since they are the big guns in the U.S. most other mail order retailers tend to follow suit. A few will try to undercut the big two by a few dollars. I've always bought from Adorama or B&H and never wanted to risk trying someone new, although I'm sure some are reputable.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Price should also be going up again in beginning of March unless Canon extends the rebates.  My thinking is that the rebates will not be extended again. 

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:03 AM »

What does it mean? It means I picked up my 5DmkII just in the nick of time. ~cough~<$2kUS~cough~
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

gwei8

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
I purchased the 5d2 kit a month ago for $2390 after my multiple cash back and new credit card signed up cash back offers... Amazing deal IMO. So glad I got it at the right time!

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
This has always bugged me a bit.  At Christmas time the price drops down to $2,000 was two companies in the US trying to get business.  They did not go on sale at most places.  I checked a lot of retailers, online places, brick & mortar places and they all set around $2,400 with no reductions.  I do understand they dropped in Canada, too, but for the most part, it was two places battling with each other.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »