January 23, 2018, 01:35:12 AM

Author Topic: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera  (Read 15657 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
A good source has told us that Canon has been asking select Explorers of Light and other professionals what they think would make a professional mirrorless camera “compelling” enough to purchase and use.

In the same survey by Canon, they asked specifically what the photographers thought about the Sony a9 and  medium format Fujifulm GFX 50s.

I will note that the likelihood of a Canon medium format camera coming to market is slim-to-none at best, perhaps it was more to gauge the interest in higher resolution cameras.

I’m not sure of when these questions were being asked, but if it was recently, that would likely tell us that a full frame mirrorless professional camera is not in the near future.

More to come…

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:49:47 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

basisunus

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • FluoRender
Re: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
1. Standard EF mount without adapter;
2. Solid build quality on par with 7D;
3. Hot shoe and wireless/radio flash control;
4. No builtin flash;
5. Wireless/detachable touch LCD display that can also clip on;
6. Relatively deep grip.
Basically a light-weight and compact 7D that can make a capable companion for a 1D.

Talys

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.
Basically a light-weight and compact 7D that can make a capable companion for a 1D.

I like all thoese things, though wireless/detachable touch LCD introduces another battery issue.  I'd be fine with some sort of articulation on the screen, even if it's only tilting.

The grip also needs to be not vertically diminutive. 

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.
So basically a 6D sized camera without mirror.

applecider

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »
Detachable screen is a nice touch, but a possibly better implementation might be an optional wireless screen useable on any cam with wifi eventually.

Could a medium format camera have EF lenses as an option, where the camera functions as a 35mm with EF lens and as a larger format camera with a larger mount?

AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8

frankenbeans

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • tony martie pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:14:19 PM »
4K video

msatter

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.

Make that with default adapter for EF lenses. It will companion the deep grip. EF-EF

Detachable display needs a battery build in and a phone is a better option.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
4K video

Seriously? From what I had seen recently pro video content creators working with the sub cinema class cameras are turning away from 4k. They do want high quality 4:4:2 high frame rate 1080, preferably with a good Log profile, they also want Canon color science and flip out touch screens, good battery life and unconstrained internal and external recording depending on their specific use in any given scenario.

As I have seen 4k is becoming less well accepted in anything but a truthfully pro production, in which case the proposed camera isn't a primary choice. Yes 4K is becoming more popular, just not in the market segment this new line of cameras will occupy.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Aaron D

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • web site
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Here's my request list, and I really honestly would buy at least one of these immediately and use it to earn my livelihood (I'm an un-invited professional, but I figure they already know what I like, I've said so here lots of times!):

1) Please DON'T be compelled to stick to an EF mount!  This is an opportunity to optimize an entire system to a short flange-distance mount!  I know I'm going to rile up the "I've got a hundred old lenses I can't bear to use an adapter with" faction...  But to build-in permanent dead space for a non-existant mirror box is ludicrous.

2) Include an EF adapter!

3) A built-in viewfinder as in the Leica M9 or Hasselblad X1D, ie: no bump, or minimal if absolutely necessary.  It doesn't have to be centered on top.

4) A 4:3 aspect ration would be wonderful (without wasting cropped-out pixels) but I'd be happy with the ol' 2:3

5) Lots of resolution, like 5DS ballpark, no more than that is necessary.

6) I personally don't need blazing autofocus or burst rates, or video for that matter.  But that's just me.

7) This is a big one:  To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!). 

eight) No built-in flash. Wasted body volume for a camera that will have modern super-high ISOs.  Buy a real flash if you need one!

OK, I've probably pissed-off enough people--my apologies to the world.

(and Bean's idea of a dual-format body sounds great...)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:32:16 PM by Aaron D »

The Fat Fish

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
Give me an A7RIII with the Canon name on it and a Canon mount. After the very underwhelming 5DIV and massively disappointing 6DII I want to see Canon excite us. I saved up £2000 for the 6DII before it was announced and now even if it was £1000 I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to spend that money of a competitive Canon mirrorless.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
7) This is a big one:  To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!). 

Surely a TS-E lens will be at the top of Canon’s list for a new lens mount.  I’m surprised there’s not a TS-E lens for the EOS M series yet.

Oh, wait...I’m not.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

tolusina

• Gallery Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Yesterday would be good.
6D, 40, 50 1.8 II, 50 1.8 STM, 24-105L, 90EX, 2X 600EX-RT, 2X Lightsphere, ST-E3-RT, Kenko DG set, GT2531LVL, Ultimate GP, PRO-100, SPYDERPrint, MG3122, PA242W-BK-SV, Intuos Pro, WIN 10 on hardware with intent, AE-1, D-70, D-80, P30T

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
HMMPFFF!!!!

They did not ask me, so I am switching to Sony!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »

hne

• EOS M5
  • Gear limits your creativity
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
Easy, peasy! Take the 6DmkII, switch to the 5DmkIV sensor and remove the mirror. Place an LCD where the focus screen is and lock the camera in live-view mode.

Bonus points if you:
  • Add zebras and/or focus peaking
  • Cram an EX-RT wireless radio trigger in there somewhere (perhaps where the PDAF module is no longer needed?)
  • Fit an AF point selection joystick
  • Improve the face detect to focus on closest eye
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

Ditboy

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »
Canon is so far behind at this point they should just keep making DSLR's and focus on quality lenses. If you want mirrorless buy a Sony and use Canon glass. Or if you don't care about FF go with Fuji. I've used Canon for the duration of my 40 years in journalism. Went through the the change from FD to EOS and took a beating. I had 18 lenses and six camera bodies. I have 4 M5s in addition to a couple DSLR I can use when shooting sports. I use the M5 75% of the time. But basically the 22 EF-M is the only modern Canon lens I use. I have several of the other EF-m lenses, but I use Rokinons, and Canon FD lenses most of the time because I need something faster than f6.3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »