May 27, 2018, 02:15:01 PM

Author Topic: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera  (Read 38689 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
Re: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
These lists are a bit too specific.  I think it's all about the mount and Canon cannot afford to muck that up.  That's the one decision they can't undo.

For the professional user, full mount EF all the way.  It basically needs to be a 5D4 without a mirror and with an EVF, more or less.  That's 80% on target and they can refine the specifics from there, perhaps add a tilty-flippy or wait for the 5DS2 sensor instead.

For the enthusiast, I think they are at a 50-50 thin vs. Full EF impossible decision point.  If a full EF mirrorless 'pro' rig is happening, good luck financially justifying even a partial line of new lenses just for the 6D-level user who wants to keep it small.  (Still may happen, though.)

- A
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:13:40 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
7) This is a big one:  To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!). 

Surely a TS-E lens will be at the top of Canon’s list for a new lens mount.  I’m surprised there’s not a TS-E lens for the EOS M series yet.

Oh, wait...I’m not.

+1.  Aaron, you may want this, but this might be priority #374 for a new mirrorless mount for Canon.

(And what's wrong with the 24mm T/S?  It takes filters, doesn't it?)

- A

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
1. Standard EF mount without adapter;
2. Solid build quality on par with 7D;
3. Hot shoe and wireless/radio flash control;
4. No builtin flash;
5. Wireless/detachable touch LCD display that can also clip on;
6. Relatively deep grip.
Basically a light-weight and compact 7D that can make a capable companion for a 1D.
... And what you're seeing here is why Canon ask a small number of pros and not randoms on forums.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »
Canon is so far behind at this point...

Think about what you just said.  They said the same thing in general before EOS M and yet you now own four M5s::)

...now apply that to FF.

They don't care that they are behind the internet's expectations.

They care that their own customers will buy them in nontrivial percentages once they are offered.

- A

Sithaputh

• Canonflex
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
####  Canon  ####

I hope you are reading this.

You guys need to stop short cutting us.  I've been a long time loyal canon user.  Give us 4k full frame with usable codec.  Make dual native ISO.  Make it a user friendly Hybrid for photo and video.  Add 5axis stabilizer.  MUST be EF mount, otherwise I won't invest in a newer mount, and newer lenses.  Make C-log as standard, or have a very good dynamic range.   Must be Touch AF, phase detect, not contrast detect.  Your lack of innovation makes me want to buy a Sony or Panasonic.

1. Full Frame with EF mounts
2. 4K full Frame with "usable" codecs @ 60fps
3. Pro-res, C-log as standard not upgrades
4. Dual native ISO
5. 20-ish Megapixel with great Low light performance.
6. Touch Autofocus
7. Articulating LCD Screen
8. 5 axis stablizer
9. 12 FPS
10. Focus Peak, zebra, etc.
11. 4:2:2 - 10bit video
12. Weatherseal
13.  High Flash sync maybe up to 1000/s without HSS
14.  Timecode
15.  Better phone app
16.  Faster Wifi/bluetooth
17.  New touchscreen menu system, similar to any modern phone
18.  New digital LCD on top Screen.  The old style is outdated since the 80's
19.  Big Battery life
20.  Hybrid EVF with optical viewfinder

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:00:06 PM by Sithaputh »

MrToes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • Best camera is the one given to you to shoot with
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »
EF Mount please!

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
I sincerely hope the questionnaires are aimed at finalizing specifics and not developing a drawing board discussion.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
And what you're seeing here is why Canon ask a small number of pros and not randoms on forums.

Exactly! 
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Yasko

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:10 PM »
I can only hope that Canon releases a mirrorless at the price point around 2000$ eith full format sensor. Basically a M5 scaled up with fully flippable screen and having learned from the M5's weaknesses such as only one card slot, bad battery life and af performance.

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
I’m sure Canon will get an earful from the Pros that they asked. Problems arise if they start compromising to meet self imposed targets for price, size weight, sales quantities, etc.  A pro level camera should be fast handling and rugged, without a ton of fun features, but cost $6-7K U.S.   The Pro-sumer version is the one that a lot of us want (5Dx equivalent).

tmroper

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
Canon is so far behind at this point they should just keep making DSLR's and focus on quality lenses.

Canon isn't behind one bit.  They, Sony, and Panasonic have all been making mirrorless cameras for a couple of decades now in the form of video cameras, and they all have roughly the same level of technology.  They do, however, have different business strategies for migrating that tech down to smaller form factor cameras with stills capabilities.   And often, being a "first mover" is a losing business strategy, but sometimes it isn't.  Only time will tell.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
I can only hope that Canon releases a mirrorless at the price point around 2000$ eith full format sensor. Basically a M5 scaled up with fully flippable screen and having learned from the M5's weaknesses such as only one card slot, bad battery life and af performance.

Or, put another way, a 6D2 with extra stuff for the same price.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Canon will mark up the initial FF mirrorless offering above it's SLR equivalent, i.e. if the first FF mirrorless is 6D2-spec'd, it'll cost $2300-2500, if it's 5D4-spec'd, it'll cost $3500 or so.

Again:  they are not competing with Sony with their price, value proposition, etc.  They will simply be taking money from pent up Canonites who have been waiting for this.

- A

Adelino

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »
To pros size would not be a huge issue, grip and ergonomics Me_Me_Me size. Oh and battery life. There is nothing precluding Canon from offering EF mount now and adding another mount later if sales are disappointing. Safest move is EF mount. If pros are being asked now maybe Canon will start with a lesser version like they did with the M series. They could use a 6D-ish mirrorless with a better sensor to pop between a  discounted 6D2 and 5DIV right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
4. Dual native ISO

I've never shot this with ML.  Would this not hamper the frame rate, buffer, etc?

8. 5 axis stablizer

If it's full EF mount, you aren't adapting old lenses, so what do you need IBIS for?  Canon sells lenses with IS that outperform IBIS, do they not?

13.  High Flash sync maybe up to 1000/s without HSS

That would require leaf shutter lenses, right?  That's not happening.

Lovely list you gave, it would be a terrific camera.  But my guess is you won't get much of that.  Expect a mirrorless variant of the 6D2, 5D4 or 5DS2 (if they wait that long).

- A
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:29:32 PM by ahsanford »

amorse

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »
If Canon posed these questions to their explorers of light (well known professional photographers) with respect to a pro rig, and asked for impressions of other mirrorless pro rigs (a9, GFX50s), then I don't think we can expect Canon to use the answers to these questions to decide on how to build an entry level full frame camera (i.e. mirrorless 6D).  I'd liken that decision to asking what a race-car driver would like in an consumer car. Sure, the race-car driver may have an opinion on consumer cars, but what are the odds that the opinion would align with other consumer car buyers?

I would expect that Canon already has a reasonable idea of what an entry-level full frame mirrorless camera would need, and at what price point the market would bear.  Asking for impressions of competitive high-end mirrorless cameras from professional users implies (in my mind) that Canon is exploring what a top tier mirrorless camera should look like to someone whose livelihood depends on performance of the camera. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »