February 21, 2018, 06:43:44 AM

Author Topic: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera  (Read 23861 times)

canonic

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
Only NOW????
Oh and profis dont need any mirrorless why bother asking?!   :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »

Cthulhu

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »

8. 5 axis stablizer

If it's full EF mount, you aren't adapting old lenses, so what do you need IBIS for?  Canon sells lenses with IS that outperform IBIS, do they not?

Because more is better?

jolyonralph

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
For me the number one feature that would make me buy a Canon mirrorless vs Sony or any other is to have the same level of weather sealing as their current 5D range.

Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

CarlMillerPhoto

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
You don't hear too many pros requesting a smaller form factor. Sure, compact size can be nice, but traveling light is a luxury amateurs and prosumers put as priority over the entire ecosystem of an imaging tool. Given the choice of keeping EF in mirrorless bodies and offering a completely new FF mount, almost every pro is going to say keep EF. Heck the A9 got some praise because it was bigger than the A7 and offered better ergonomics.

Canon doesn't really need to reinvent the wheel here. Keep the exact same 5D IV form factor and replace the mirror box with an EVF and grant all the goodies that come along with that. Done.
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

angrykarl

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Amateur enthusiast
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
For me the number one feature that would make me buy a Canon mirrorless vs Sony or any other is to have the same level of weather sealing as their current 5D range.

+1! ;D
EOS M5

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
Please mount with short flange distance and an adapter which fits nicely onto the body.
I really want a FF body to use old FD glass with.

If it has native EF mount - I will wait 1 year or two and buy a cheap Sony 7 or Sony 7ii for that purpose for some hundreds of bucks. Sony helps by bringing out refreshed models frequently.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Waiting for the right 85 & 135
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
Take the M5. Make it a bit larger, of course. Switch the screen to articulating. Put in the best EVF tech Canon can muster. Keep the focusing, it's too good as is. Seal it up. 4k or not, I don't have a dog in that fight but if adding it means an unwieldy battery size then don't add it. Make the grip usable, not a finger pincher like Sony. EF mount, no adapter. Don't make size your first priority, but keep it 6D or a bit smaller. Trigger, high speed sync, no onboard flash. Dual cards. Joystick? Maybe not with thumb touchscreen focusing.
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »

steliosk

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • stelioskritikakis.com
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
- ef mount
- 5d4 sensor
- focus peaking
- dpaf
- tilt screen
- 5 axis stabilization in body
- bt/nfc/wifi
- ergonomics

why have anything less than other competators such as sony a7 series
5D3 + 6D + 600D
STM 40, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, 100L, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 12-24 II, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 and my old and fair working 350D.

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
I have been weighing up mirrorless for bird photography. Basically they all suck for BIF apart possibly from the Sony A9 and they lack the lenses. So, I want a Canon mirrorless that takes the LP-E6N and has blazingly fast and accurate AF and takes EF lenses without or with an adaptor. Oh, and Canon should make some lightweight telephotos.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Isaacheus

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »
- ef mount
- 5d4 sensor
- focus peaking
- dpaf
- tilt screen
- 5 axis stabilization in body
- bt/nfc/wifi
- ergonomics

Basically take the a7r3 and match all the specs possible, with an ef mount (either native or natively adapted) and keep the Canon ergonomic feel.

That should really be the minimum benchmark to aim for at this stage.

rfdesigner

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

5. Wireless/detachable touch LCD display that can also clip on;

I've proposed this in the past.

Wireless charging of the screen from the camera, even if it's only got half an hour battery with the screen illuminated it could be days without the screen on, dual function as a remote intervalometer.
By doing a dedicated screen the link speed, reliability and efficiency all improve.  Relying on the user also having a smartphone compatible with any APP canon might produce might be a longer shot, not everyone has a smartphone, I don't.

Taking the smartphone idea but turning it around..

A Canon smartphone with an adapter (the mirrorless body minus screen) which takes the lenses, but because it's dedicated it isn't some nasty delicate monstrosity, it's tough and ergonomic.
6D, 30D, 383L+, 28f1.8, 50STM, 100f2.0, 5.5"f8 scope, 12"f5 scope.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »
Only NOW????

Read amorse's post at the bottom of page 2 of this thread.  Canon won't court pros for the 6D market the same way they would for the 5D market -- it's possible...

• ...the enthusiast FF ILC mirrorless is already in development and doesn't need the pro-level feedback (again, see that amorse post),

• ...Canon may have been mapping out a full FF ILC mirrorless portfolio in the ivory tower back at corporate and just wanted to suss out how well it plays with heavy hitters in the field before banking it as the plan,

• ...Canon was on the fence as to mirrorless needing to match their FF SLR specs vs. offer different functionality for pros.  In other words, Canon might have been curious if FF pro mirrorless was simply what we think it is (i.e. trade an EVF for the mirror) or if its appeal to pros is for different applications (travel assignments --> small size, utterly silent for weddings, b-cam with stronger video than the primary SLR)

So I don't read this as day 1 of the FF ILC mirrorless adventure.  I see this as a focus group for a specific level of that future FF mirrorless product lines.  I could be wrong.

Oh and profis dont need any mirrorless why bother asking?!   :P

Because amplifying light in really dark rooms, a histo in the VF, eliminating mirror slap, taking up less space in the bag, etc. only benefits enthusiasts?  Everyone other than the 1% most demanding application photographers (think wildlifers, sports photogs, etc.) will shoot mirrorless when it's all said and done.  All of them.  It makes sense to ask what future they'd like to see before you launch something.   :P

- A
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:24:04 PM by ahsanford »

ken

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
I don't get the desire for a non-EF mount from so many people. If it has a short flange on the body, you'll just have a flange on EVERY lens (eating up valuable bag space), or the equivalent in an adapter (which makes the mount less stable).

Are the people asking for short flange not aware of the physics? Or... are they wanting the ability to use non-Canon glass? Or something I haven't thought of?

6D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II, EF24-105mm IS, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, Lensbaby Composer Pro w/ Edge 80, Lensbaby Sweet 35, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x2)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
Keep the exact same 5D IV form factor and replace the mirror box with an EVF and grant all the goodies that come along with that. Done.

Just remind me what those goodies are.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »

Because we presume Canon has solid market data, surveys, VOC information that says that they don't need everything A7 offers to get current Canon users to buy it.

I'm fairly confident a straight 5D4 with [OVF + Mirror] traded for an EVF -- so a full EF mount rig with no other changes* -- would sell very well.  Consider what an EVF alone could unlock for current 62 or 5D4 users:

• In-viewfinder histo (for that matter customize the hell out of the viewfinder in general)
  • Amplify light in dark rooms
  • Focusing screens RIP, aka "oh wow, I can use wide aperture manual focus lenses off the tripod now!"
  • Mirror slap RIP

Sure, an A7 could do that and a whole lot more.  But it's built by Sony (see recent weathersealing videos), requires the use of a third party adaptor to possibly get your AF to work well, and has the ergonomic/controls/menu sensibilities of a Playstation controller.  Parts of it are brilliant... while parts of it are the opposite of brilliant.

Honestly, I think Canon will sleep like a baby if when they FF mirrorless that is underspec'd to Sony.  Because they know it will sell well.

- A

* And we know they'll do more than that -- give it a tilty-flippy, possibly look into a quieter silent shutter, etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:35:35 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »