May 27, 2018, 04:03:47 PM

Author Topic: Rebel just stopped?  (Read 2783 times)

dickgrafixstop

• EOS 6D Mark II
Rebel just stopped?
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
I have an older Rebel Xs which has just stopped working.  It won't turn on and the screen won't even flicker.
The battery is good, the battery compartment is clean, it has never been "bathed" or dropped or mistreated, but it won't work.   I've never tried to update firmware or changed anything other than lenses.  I am completely stumped.   Any suggestions?  It would probably cost more to fix it than it's worth, I know but I would like to know what the problem is. 

canon rumors FORUM

Rebel just stopped?
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
Re: Rebel just stopped?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
Date and Time battery is my first hunch.
Whahhhhhh I need more AF points

mukul

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
Date and Time battery is my first hunch.

Where can I locate It in canon dslr? Is that user serviceable?

In canon powershot it had a separate latch to access. But in 600D i could not find any location to access date/time battery

slclick

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:20:34 PM »
Unfortunately that model does not have a separate backup battery but a capacitor which stores energy from the main battery to log the current date and time. Sorry, maybe it's something else besides the MB. Sending older bodies in to Canon for ANY body repair start to come close to the cost of buying another body so perhaps you would be better served by taking it to a camera repair shop for eval.

jprusa

• EOS 80D
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
I was reading a another post about a older 1d series camera that had about the same issue,  stopped working battery good. Sent to Canon repair and they replaced battery , so might want to check battery. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:01:51 PM by jprusa »

Tugela

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
I have an older Rebel Xs which has just stopped working.  It won't turn on and the screen won't even flicker.
The battery is good, the battery compartment is clean, it has never been "bathed" or dropped or mistreated, but it won't work.   I've never tried to update firmware or changed anything other than lenses.  I am completely stumped.   Any suggestions?  It would probably cost more to fix it than it's worth, I know but I would like to know what the problem is.

Is this a rumor? Since you are posting it in the rumors section of the board we have to assume that is the case. Perhaps you could confirm that the camera is not working (and hence no longer a rumor), then you could ask for help in the appropriate gear section of the board :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
You can buy a broken one with a different issue on ebay and combine the parts to get a working one.  The issue is that a working one goes for a little over $100, and a broken one is worth $80, so its not worth fixing IMHO.  Sell the bare camera for parts, then sell the charger with battery separately.

You can buy a SL2 for just over $500 and have a huge upgrade.

archiea

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
4k?  4K!?... thats so 2017.5... its 2018.1, iTs tHe yEaR of 8K!!!!!

Here's whats funny.....

I got the M5 to take pix.  Folks were like "no 4K blah blah....."  So they got the sony 6300 instead... then they sold it to get the sony R2.... then the sony R3 came out so guess what they got... the R3!  I still have the M5 taking killer pix because its ALWAYS WITH ME. I don't think they have shot any 4K yet.

I've also hear folks that got the 4K cameras for podcasting returned the cameras in some cases and got the canon M cameras because the autofocus was more desirable and the 4K was cumbersome for editing basically talking heads on youtube.

I'm not discounting the benefits of 4K or sony cameras in general. They represent a tremendous value.  What I am seeing is consumption as an inner compulsion from all of these seemingly yearly releases, including the M cameras. Its like folks contemplating getting the 5D mark V JUST because it just came out...  Who could keep up?

slclick

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »
4k?  4K!?... thats so 2017.5... its 2018.1, iTs tHe yEaR of 8K!!!!!

Here's whats funny.....

I got the M5 to take pix.  Folks were like "no 4K blah blah....."  So they got the sony 6300 instead... then they sold it to get the sony R2.... then the sony R3 came out so guess what they got... the R3!  I still have the M5 taking killer pix because its ALWAYS WITH ME. I don't think they have shot any 4K yet.

I've also hear folks that got the 4K cameras for podcasting returned the cameras in some cases and got the canon M cameras because the autofocus was more desirable and the 4K was cumbersome for editing basically talking heads on youtube.

I'm not discounting the benefits of 4K or sony cameras in general. They represent a tremendous value.  What I am seeing is consumption as an inner compulsion from all of these seemingly yearly releases, including the M cameras. Its like folks contemplating getting the 5D mark V JUST because it just came out...  Who could keep up?

I'm with you but I think you're not with the right thread!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »