May 27, 2018, 06:00:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month  (Read 30987 times)

criscokkat

• PowerShot G1 X II
M6 like body with a square sensor? 🦄

That would actually be quite interesting. It could have more resolution than a full frame, just slightly narrower than a full frame as the shape would be different....

I don't know enough about lenses to know if existing lenses would work out of the box? Is the last element shaped to throw an oval or a circle to cover the existing wider sensors (or film, if going back enough years)?

That would be somewhat of a unicorn development, but it would certainly differentiate the product from the competitors.

canon rumors FORUM

jayphotoworks

• EOS Rebel SL2
Of course Canon does this as soon as I sell my last Canon lens and buy the last Sony one I need to make the transition to the a7rIII...

Curious to see what they come up with and hope I don’t regret the move in a month or so.  I’m not one to jump back and forth between systems and had been with Canon for 13 years but finally saw enough significant improvements on the mirrorless side to draw me over there. 

I have to believe the first iteration will have some rough edges.  Sony’s A7R series only appealed to me in its third iteration.

I felt the same way, and it was the A9 that actually convinced me to pick up a Sony body. I then added an A7R2 and a few Sony lenses. I guess the difference with me is that I never sold my Canon glass and have been updating them as I patiently wait for Canon's pro-mirrorless entrant. I've also been using them on other systems. Glass is the real value of any system as bodies come and go all the time.

Still waiting for Canon's pro-mirrorless offering. I know one day my lenses can come back to old faithful. They've spent too much time on Tinder for the last few years going from manufacturer to manufacturer all over the world..  ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Canon just needs to stop the bleeding.

Bleeding?  Let me guess - you got an abrasion on your head when you fell up against reality, and want to use a Canon camera strap as a bandage.  Apparently you don't realize that Canon has been gaining ILC market share.  I hear getting smacked with reality can hurt, I recommend knowledge as a prophylactic.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
M6 like body with a square sensor? 🦄

That would actually be quite interesting. It could have more resolution than a full frame, just slightly narrower than a full frame as the shape would be different....

I don't know enough about lenses to know if existing lenses would work out of the box? Is the last element shaped to throw an oval or a circle to cover the existing wider sensors (or film, if going back enough years)?

That would be somewhat of a unicorn development, but it would certainly differentiate the product from the competitors.

The idea has been kicked around a bit, here.  It would sort of work 'out of the box' with most lenses, the exception being lenses that have a rectangular baffle at the back (like the 24-105/4L IS, I'm not sure there are any others). An additional problem would be the petal-shaped hoods of many lenses, which are designed for a 3:2 rectangular sensor and would likely cause some vignetting (that could be solved by updated hoods, though).  A square sensor inscribed in the FF image circle would be ~30 mm, so at 3:2 format it's a 1.2x crop factor. 

Very unlikely, IMO.

littleB

• PowerShot G1 X II
The mount in the picture looks like crude overlay over M6, not like real product.
BTW, the mount shows white index dot, not the red one.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
The mount in the picture looks like crude overlay over M6, not like real product.

It's not a silhouette, either, because it's not the invitation, merely a photoshopped M6.

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV

It’s just CR guy’s mockup, not a picture of the real invitation.

canon rumors FORUM

angrykarl

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Amateur enthusiast
    • Flickr
OMG, I hope if it's FF MILC that it has an EVF... but in such case they would use M5 silhouette, right. :-\

Canon giveth and Canon taketh away.
EOS M5

Cochese

• PowerShot G1 X II
Of course Canon does this as soon as I sell my last Canon lens and buy the last Sony one I need to make the transition to the a7rIII...

Curious to see what they come up with and hope I don’t regret the move in a month or so.  I’m not one to jump back and forth between systems and had been with Canon for 13 years but finally saw enough significant improvements on the mirrorless side to draw me over there. 

I have to believe the first iteration will have some rough edges.  Sony’s A7R series only appealed to me in its third iteration.

No reason to look back. Sony sensor tech pushed me away from Canon. Canon just needs to stop the bleeding. So many are tied to a brand (for good reason when you have a lot invested) that just releasing a FF mirrorless in the current M6 body would be good enough to help slow any of us that have purchased other brands.

Canon isn't bleeding too much. Their profits were up this year, even in the DSLR market and they are somehow on the top for mirrorless cameras. Which seems rather unbelievable, but is true, apparently. If you watch videos on YouTube, last year the trend seemed to be everybody jumping ship from Canon to Sony for video. And for the last couple months, the trend seems to have reversed with a huge portion of them switching back to Canon. Primarily, it seems, the 6D. Reasons being usually less fussing with color correction in post and autofocus/ Dual Pixel AF. The swivel touch screen also gets a nod from all of them.

They're a small market, but they have a huge reach. Many of them with several million subscribers each. Hell, one of the more annoying, but at least generally honest photography channels (Froknowsphoto) has been using the 6D for most of their video.
Something I've found interesting is that nearly all of them have quit doing their videos in 4K and went back to 1080. All of them complaining about the increase in power required, longer render times, etc...

One huge mention by everybody that I've been seeing is also battery life. That seems to be a huge issue that neither Sony nor Panasonic can fix due to the physical size of their cameras. And if you're adding attachments for battery life, it seems to defeat the purpose of the smaller camera.

tl;dr: Canon is doing just fine. 4K is overhyped for most users, AF is incredibly important, ditto for battery life and color rendering out of camera. Sony will do just fine, but as some are finding out, there is more to a camera than just a sensor.

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II

Bleeding?  Let me guess - you got an abrasion on your head when you fell up against reality, and want to use a Canon camera strap as a bandage.  Apparently you don't realize that Canon has been gaining ILC market share.  I hear getting smacked with reality can hurt, I recommend knowledge as a prophylactic.
I guess, it is the case of equating dxo scores and gold awards to sales/market share.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
It's just an illusrative image, isn't it? Surely new FF mirrorless is not going to use m6 body along with its EF-M mount?

Yes, The actual illustration has not been provided to CR, but the general outline is probably accurate.

While it finally sounds like a high end mirrorless is coming out, its not going to be a pro model.  If / when one arrives is still a ways off.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
Forget square sensors, what you really want is a round sensor to make absolutely best use of the image circle.

Circular raw files?  Yes, it could happen :)
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
Forget square sensors, what you really want is a round sensor to make absolutely best use of the image circle.

Circular raw files?  Yes, it could happen :)

If you tilt the image to get the horizon horzontal there is no change of image size, just the typical loss during that transformation - a really interesting thouht :)
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

canon rumors FORUM

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
Ok...this is something.  I only recall these types of invites for significant announcements, such as a 1D camera.

But that flies in the face of a bunch of rumors we heard (just now asking pros for features they would want, etc), and the M6 body is odd (I do not see a FF sensor in an M6 body nor would I call that a "Pro" body).  So this is either the fabled FF mirrorless announcement (scaled up M6 body?), an annoucement of a new line (Mirrorless Cinema series bodies??), potentially a mirrorless "road map", or Canon just toying with us.....

Well, the questionnaire to the pros about mirrorless was a rumor after all.  So far as I know, there is absolutely nothing to support the conclusion that this rumored questionnaire was in preparation for the design of Canon's first FF mirrorless, although several posters made that leap.  It seems more likely that this questionnaire, if there was one, was for the long term planning for future generations of mirrorless.

Maybe the hole in the middle is to tease us about the size of the sensor, or maybe the mount.

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II

Over-the-top reaction. Increasing market share doesn't always mean Canon has no bleeding to stop. If they lose customers who are buying heavily into a brand, which does happen, then gaining market share for a camera body with kit lens may not mean as much. Financially this isn't good for Canon.

Yes, Canon must stop the bleeding (they have to have an answer for those leaving the Canon eco system headed off to other systems). How many M lenses are they selling vs FF E mount?
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

canon rumors FORUM