May 24, 2018, 03:55:06 PM

Author Topic: Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month  (Read 30739 times)

padam

• EOS Rebel SL2
Could begin with a fixed lens compact FF first, ILC system second.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Yes, Canon must stop the bleeding (they have to have an answer for those leaving the Canon eco system headed off to other systems). How many M lenses are they selling vs FF E mount?

In the largest market for mirrorless, the home country for both Canon and Sony, Canon MILCs are outselling Sony MILCs.  Who's bleeding?
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

StoicalEtcher

• EOS Rebel 300D
Forget square sensors, what you really want is a round sensor to make absolutely best use of the image circle.

Circular raw files?  Yes, it could happen :)

But the next stage then would have to be circular screens, so that my "fit to screen" button would still work - where would it all end? ;D ;D
EOS5 (film) , 5D and 5D mkIII, and almost enough lenses

StoicalEtcher

• EOS Rebel 300D
We’ve been told that Canon is sending out “very elaborate” invites to select dealers and VIPs for a mirrorless camera announcement next month.</p>
<p>The invitation was described as being very high end, printed on heavy glossy paper and showing a silhouette of a camera shaped like the EOS M6 with a hole cut out where the sensor would be.</p>

<p>Apparently only CEOs and higher-ups are allowed to go to the presentation, no sales people are permitted.</p>
<p>I would say all of this would point to Canon announcing something more than just another entry level APS-C shooter.</p>
<p>If anyone has a picture of the invite, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/contact-form/">please send it to us</a>.</p>
<p><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;">more to come…</span></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Craig, is this Canon USA that you are referring to as sending out the invites?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:22:40 PM by hd-sam »
EOS5 (film) , 5D and 5D mkIII, and almost enough lenses

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
The mount in the picture looks like crude overlay over M6, not like real product.
BTW, the mount shows white index dot, not the red one.

It’s just CR guy’s mockup, not a picture of the real invitation.

+1.  We should stop wigging out interpreting things from a CR Guy mockup -- he does not have the legit imagery Canon is using in the invite yet. 

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
OMG, I hope if it's FF MILC that it has an EVF... but in such case they would use M5 silhouette, right. :-\

Canon giveth and Canon taketh away.

Thought that myself, but it could be an RX100-style pop up EVF, who knows?

- A

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Yes, Canon must stop the bleeding (they have to have an answer for those leaving the Canon eco system headed off to other systems). How many M lenses are they selling vs FF E mount?

They are almost certainly selling more EF-M lenses than anybody is selling FF lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel T7i
In my opinion a square sensor would make sense as we could make both landscape and portrait orientated images by simply cropping the pictures while maintaining the highest 3:2 size available. A 5184 * 5184 pixel image can be cropped to 5184 * 3456 (landscape) and 3456 * 5184 (portrait) pixel. On a Full Frame camera this could be called the Crop Factor. :)
On the other hand a circular camera with a circular sensor and the buttons arranged in a circle around the circular screen would also be interesting. :D

ahsanford

• USM > STM
Could begin with a fixed lens compact FF first, ILC system second.

+1, I've been saying this for some time.  Something like the RX1R cameras, the Leica Q, etc. are pricey toys for one percenters who 'need' a camera for their world travels but don't necessarily want the size / complexity of a full-fledged ILC. 

And these FF style-piece rigs hold price like champs.  Consider:

• The RX1R II has not dropped in MAP price of $3299 (or whatever Sony calls it) since the product was announced over two years ago.

• Everyone remember the overhyped / underspec'd retro bougie cash grab that was the Nikon Df?  MAP hasn't budged in 4 years of service.  They are still selling a 16 MP SLR that does not shoot video of any kind for the same $2749 it was listed at.

• The Leica Q has not changed in price since it was launched 2.5 years ago.

Canon and Nikon would give their left nut for that kind of price retention on a premium rig.

- A

Navism

• Canonflex
Canon would be really care Nikon.
They may want to release earlier than Nikon in 2018.
or Canon wants to increase the mirrorless share in 2018.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
I love this forum. There is a rumor that Canon is inviting a bunch of executives to some mystery reception. CR Guy posts a mockup of the supposed invite. Suddenly everybody goes crazy fantasizing that their dream camera is coming.

We've even revived the crazy "square sensor" crowd.

Meanwhile, some random Sony person makes a silly comment about Canon "bleeding" and Neuro has to jump in with a dose of reality.

You all might want to take a deep breath and ask yourselves a few questions:

Where is this reception being held? One location in one country? Or multiple locations in multiple countries?

Who is it that is being invited? Select dealers and VIPs of what companies?

Has CR Guy confirmed this is an announcement invite? The target audience makes it just as likely to be some sort of appreciation reception or a marketing presentation. Or maybe even (if Canon USA) an announcement of new investment in the U.S. due to tax reforms.

Depending on who is being invited, ask yourselves why they would be invited or even interested in an announcement of a niche market camera like a  full-frame mirrorless. 

As Neuro has reminded everyone countless times – don't confuse what you personally want with what the market cares about.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
But the next stage then would have to be circular screens, so that my "fit to screen" button would still work - where would it all end? ;D ;D

Another great thing about circular sensors - no need to tilt your camera to switch between portrait or landscape. Just reframe your shot in post.

This thread encouraged me to finish the article I started in 2016 and then forgot about!

http://www.everyothershot.com/whats-better-full-frame-sensor-circular-sensor-course/
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

sniper_shooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Let's see how much Canon has capability more than that "5D markiv".

I mean, whether they can release the really awesome game-changing camera, orrr, not that bad camera like 5D4 with freaking motion-JPEG.

Who knows.  :P

canon rumors FORUM

ahsanford

• USM > STM
These 'big deal is coming' exclusive invites are generally not for the odd body refresh or new lens, right?

If so, one might argue that this is more likely than not:

• A new product line that we may not have been expecting (e.g. SL1, XC10, etc.)
  • An non-trivial industry first (e.g. wireless flash control onboard, TTL hybrid VF, etc.),
  • A big first for Canon (4K ILC in crop?)

I'm not trying to make specific predictions with those comments in parens above, but is it safe to say that this won't just be a standard/vanilla M50 + the two EF-M lenses announcement CR Guy has been predicting?

- A

LensFungus

• Canonflex
I wouldn't think too much about those invitations being an indicator for a more special camera than previous releases. What I see is something else.

Over the last 3 years I've been very curious about the newest Canon and Sony releases. While having Canon equipment I always looked over to Sony. As soon as the two companies released a new camera I watched an unhealthy amount of videos on Youtube about those new releases. While it is true that Canon has multiple Youtube channels with a lot of videos, they don't get many views. If there is one thing Canon can learn from Sony it is Youtube presence because at some point Sony started to invite Youtube personalities (obviously not only) and let them film their experiences which would result in many clicks on popular Youtube channels. Actually Canon has learned and they kinda did it for the Canon 6D II with Kaiman Wong and Gordon Laing... and we all know how that went... or let's say it wasn't received as groundbreaking. Then there were the just before christmas at almost the same time uploaded videos by Canon-users Jessica Kobeissi and Peter McKinnon (I guess there was even a third one but I forgot who) who talked about the 6D II. Yes, the 6D II release date is long gone, but those big photography youtubers talked about the camera. In my opinion it was a Canon marketing strategy. No, not because of christmas, but more imporantly because they sent out a certain camera to people at the same time.

Therefore my guess is that Canon simply continues their new Youtube game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:25:15 PM by LensFungus »

canon rumors FORUM