June 22, 2018, 07:03:20 PM

Author Topic: I've got into a bit of a rut - Help!  (Read 7079 times)

RedCentrePhoto

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • RedCentrePhoto.com
Re: I've got into a bit of a rut - Help!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
One thing I find very useful is always having my camera with me or close by.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been out and about doing general life things and come across something that just begs to be photographed - an animal in an abnormal place, a new piece of street art in a laneway, a rare or interesting car, a cool cloud formation, a community event I didn't know was happening etc.

You can't manufacture motivation, you can only find it in your environment. Let it reveal itself to you by keeping your eyes open. Cameras are simply a way for us to capture the things we see. Some people write poetry, some people draw or paint, we take photos. All of them require us to see the interesting and beautiful things around us.
5D MkIV  |  16-35mm f2.8L III  /  24-105mm F4L II  /  70-200mm f2.8L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »

Tyroop

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 12:48:28 AM »
Some good advice here and I agree with the comments about getting out. When you feel in a rut, the most difficult thing can simply be getting out of the house. Take a trip to somewhere you haven't been before. If you go somewhere that is too familiar it won't necessarily help.

Secondly, look at other people's photos. Doing this helps inspire me to take photos myself. Thirdly, don't beat yourself up and always listen to your body. Life is all about ups and downs, good times and bad times, chaos and order, and these feelings occasionally are perfectly natural, especially if you have been through difficult times. When the time is right you will know it. Don't push yourself to do something because your brain is telling you to (logically) when you know intuitively that you aren't ready.

In 2002 I quit my job in the UK and planned to start a new life in Asia, however, something deep inside was holding me back and I ended up in no-man's land - unable to go back and unable to move forward. It was terrible. My brain (logical reasoning) kept telling me to fight it, but I got myself into a right mess because deep down I wasn't ready. Listen to your heart/gut/intuition/sixth sense/whatever and you will do the right thing for you. Yes, time goes quickly, but don't force yourself to do something before you are ready.

SjacPhoto

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:13 AM »
Inspire Yourself by looking at beautiful pictures, photography books or even some movies and You will feel the urge to photograph Yourself coming again.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
I also click very few times in a year. I understand your alarm, but it always helps me to remember this: "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." -- Ansel Adams

Maybe he shot thousands of photos a year. I don't know that's the case, and I'll never be him.

In the last 5 years I've maybe shot 30 photos that are considered significant to me. Nobody else may think so, but what matters is what I think. To be significant to me means the photo shows I've learned something valuable.

So here's a load of encouragement for you. I hope you can overcome this. It isn't always easy, but it will come back to you. :)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

jdebever

• Canonflex
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
For me joining a photoclub helped.
For startes you could join us at photo.net Canon eos forum, and participate in the Thursday picture.
It forces me to post a photo every week.

Jan.

JPAZ

• EOS 5DS R
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:22 AM »
+1 on the club idea.  We meet a couple of times a month and discuss technique or composition or PP.  Just hanging out with other "crazy" folks of various skill levels is one way to get your internal shutter clicking again. 

Another +1 on taking your camera with one lens for a walk.  Or pick a silly theme like "doorknobs" or "objects in which I see the letter Q" or "trees that look like people" and see what you begin to see.  I guarantee you'll capture quite a few boring images but also a handful that will be really superb.

Don't pressure yourself.  This is supposed to be fun (well not always if someone is a pro and must produce images).  One of my personal issues is that I am too hard on myself when I review images.  Pick any photo that is "pretty good but I could do better" and show it to a friend or family member.  Almost always, they see the image as something special on not something in which your leading lines are not working.
5d MkIV; Eos-M5 and too many lenses; 430 EXii, 430 EXiii-RT, Flashpoint V860ii-C and a lot of stuff.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 01:52:46 AM »
For me joining a photoclub helped.
For startes you could join us at photo.net Canon eos forum, and participate in the Thursday picture.
It forces me to post a photo every week.

Jan.

Yes! I just joined the North Texas Photography Club and have enjoyed it. Helps me get out. Very therapeutic. I generally try to avoid people, especially other men. It is a challenge, but one I am trying.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 01:52:46 AM »