June 18, 2018, 04:14:20 AM

Author Topic: Sundance 2018 Infographic: What Was the Most Popular Gear Used for the Films?  (Read 5862 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
NoFilmSchool made a great infographic showing what camera brands and lenses were used the most for the 2018 Sundance films.

Canon fared very well, and it looks like their considerable investment in the Cinema EOS series is paying off.

Camera Brand

• Arri: 90
  • Canon: 37
  • Sony: 28

Most Popular Camera:  Arri Alexa

Lens Brand

• Canon – 46
  • Cooke – 24
  • Panavision 16

Most Popular Lens: Canon EF

infographic credit // NoFilmSchool // Click to visit NoFilmSchool

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:03:01 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
Huh, 14% of shorts shot was on a DSLR.  That’s quite a surprise to me, an outsider.  I would have hardly expected any.
The other surprise to me is the lack of RED gear. 

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
For most popular lens, an EFS 18-55 is pictured :D

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Huh, 14% of shorts shot was on a DSLR.  That’s quite a surprise to me, an outsider.  I would have hardly expected any.

Sundance is an indie festival, ain't nobody got money for a RED. Also explains the DSLR shorts.

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV

Didn't you know, it's really popular among the filmmaker crowd ;)

bgoyette

• PowerShot G1 X II

Sundance is an indie festival, ain't nobody got money for a RED. Also explains the DSLR shorts.

Sundance is indie only in the sense that studios don't finance the projects, and generally there are no distribution deals in place prior. A big chunk of Sundance competition films have name actors connected to them, so these aren't your "dad's credit card" type of indie. Besides, if the number one camera is Alexa, then there's no reason why RED shouldn't represent there. Except that now RED has decided it wants to be a rental camera (the average price of a red camera has tripled), indie filmmakers are less likely to be using their own RED on a project and choosing to rent Arri's over RED, which even most non-indie DP's would do. Still surprised that that RED didn't beat both Canon and Sony. That's an interesting shift.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Its no suprise that Canon lenses are popular, they support all camera models, and are excellent.   A big part of chosing a camera is manufacturer suport.  Canon has made it clear that they are going to support cinema in a big way. 

canon rumors FORUM

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII

Must be that awesome STM autofocus ;D

LDS

• EOS 5DS R

I believe someone here would have expected many more, including full movies shot on a 4K phone. ;D

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
I guess its a bit like cameras and real photographers/camera people want the best gear but I'm surprised that more of the independent film makers aren't using simpler camera gear like the Panasonic GH5 or Full Frame camera's.
The output of this independent film making is often poor enough.
Too much time spend on the gear and not enough on the script, plot and acting.
A bit like photography - too much time spent on gear and pixel peeping and not enough on composition , location , lighting and subject

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Talking serious.

The "EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 STM" is one of the fastest, quietest and most accurate focusing lenses, and the bias comes from those who have never used such a lens.
In fact, it is infinitely faster and quieter than the EF40mm F2.8 and EF50mm F1.4, and also exceeds the EF28-135mm USM.

STM lenses may not be great for focusing manually, but in autofocus the "no pancake" models are really great.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:11:02 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

Chaitanya

• EOS 5DS R
No surprise regarding Canon EF lenses, even Panasonic makes cameras that accept EF lenses. Wide selection across different price ranges do make it attractive proposition compared to other mounts.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
I guess its a bit like cameras and real photographers/camera people want the best gear but I'm surprised that more of the independent film makers aren't using simpler camera gear like the Panasonic GH5 or Full Frame camera's.

I think the reason is exactly they are not great tools to create movies - especially as main cameras, and there are better alternatives you can buy and especially rent.

While a mirrorless or DSLR could look great for freelance journalists or vloggers especially because of the price, and maybe even some wedding photographers, I think a camera designed for movie shooting and not stills is far more productive, easier to rig as desired, and delivers better results with less effort.

Canon cameras placed well against Sony as well - maybe the Cxxx line instead of trying to cram everything into a 5D was not so stupid?

canon rumors FORUM

ExodistPhotography

• EOS M5
  • Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
    • Joe's Photo & Video Channel
This Tangerine color on Blue gives me a headache to look at..

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
Talking serious.

The "EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 STM" is one of the fastest, quietest and most accurate focusing lenses, and the bias comes from those who have never used such a lens.
In fact, it is infinitely faster and quieter than the EF40mm F2.8 and EF50mm F1.4, and also exceeds the EF28-135mm USM.

STM lenses may not be great for focusing manually, but in autofocus the "no pancake" models are really great.

O.K., I have to think twice if I give it away like planned. For photography I do not like that lens, at least because I use it mostly on the long end and the EF-S 60mm Macro is so much better in terms of IQ and gives mit 2 extra stops for light + shallow depth of field + nicer bokeh
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + EF 100mm Macro + EF f/2.0 100  + 4.0 / 70-200 IS

canon rumors FORUM