June 25, 2018, 04:11:49 AM

Author Topic: Birdsasart migrates to Nikon  (Read 38736 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: Birdsasart migrates to Nikon
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
So what?

He has very specific requirements and picked the best body/lens combo for him......

I would hope that any of us would do the same.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »

Gee, he likes Nikon better for one specific type of photography.  That happens to be what he does...

Quite the opposite. He said until very recently that his main is bird behaviour and was not particularly interested in BIF but will grab it while he can. Whether that was because of the size of the 1Dx/2 I don't know, but he also said the 1Dx was too heavy for him at his age yet here he is with the D5...

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
So what?

He has very specific requirements and picked the best body/lens combo for him......

Of course that's true but perhaps you don't regularly read the glowing comments designed to promote Canon that were obviously tied to a kind of loyalty that he even alludes to.  It's not unlike some of us saying that some reviewers are influenced by the perks they receive and not truly unbiased.  Artie has my blessing, he works exceedingly hard, is very helpful and has a great life in photography.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Jack Douglas

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »

Gee, he likes Nikon better for one specific type of photography.  That happens to be what he does...

Quite the opposite. He said until very recently that his main is bird behaviour and was not particularly interested in BIF but will grab it while he can. Whether that was because of the size of the 1Dx/2 I don't know, but he also said the 1Dx was too heavy for him at his age yet here he is with the D5...

Probably he just had one of those teenage moments.  His move is not going to harm him and he may be forever happy with the decision but he's acknowledging that there are negatives and positives as we all know.  He had been sticking with Canon due to an allegiance, which soured, so maybe this switch was long overdue.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

Don Haines

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »
So what?

Of course that's true but perhaps you don't regularly read the glowing comments designed to promote Canon that were obviously tied to a kind of loyalty that he even alludes to.  It's not unlike some of us saying that some reviewers are influenced by the perks they receive and not truly unbiased.  Artie has my blessing, he works exceedingly hard, is very helpful and has a great life in photography.

Jack

From what I gathered, he was happy with canon until his needs changed..... so he went with a change that overall fit his new requirements better, and even doing so, mentions the pluses and minuses of the switch.

I find that refreshing..... loyalty is good, but not blind loyalty.....

For many of us, it really does not matter if we shoot Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus..... all are good and produce fine images in skilled hands. For some of us, with very specific demands and trying to push as far as they can go, specific gear allows them to push to the next level. He is obviously in that rare category.....

Jack Douglas

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
Don, if you had been reading/following the blogs you'd have a bit more information, not that it matters.  Artie stated that he's struggled with BIF etc. and didn't do too much of it.  It is conceivable that he didn't really have the parameters tuned to advantage, but no matter.  So as a not too experienced shooter of BIF he then states:

"But for birds in flight Nikon is light years ahead." 

I don't take that literally but wonder how a person who says they are not that good at it can make such a definitive statement.  Never the less, I have reason to believe there is some truth to it, and maybe Arash first switched and influenced him.

Now, here's another thing.  He's encouraging others to do exactly as he has and to use his links so he makes money.  OK, it's not illegal or immoral but I still have to kind of smile when I read such things. ;)

Thankfully we live in free countries and can all do as we please so Artie has my blessing.

Jack

Don Haines

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »
Don, if you had been reading/following the blogs you'd have a bit more information, not that it matters.  Artie stated that he's struggled with BIF etc. and didn't do too much of it.  It is conceivable that he didn't really have the parameters tuned to advantage, but no matter.  So as a not too experienced shooter of BIF he then states:

"But for birds in flight Nikon is light years ahead." 

I don't take that literally but wonder how a person who says they are not that good at it can make such a definitive statement.  Never the less, I have reason to believe there is some truth to it, and maybe Arash first switched and influenced him.

Now, here's another thing.  He's encouraging others to do exactly as he has and to use his links so he makes money.  OK, it's not illegal or immoral but I still have to kind of smile when I read such things. ;)

Thankfully we live in free countries and can all do as we please so Artie has my blessing.

Jack
Yes :) I certainly get what you are saying.....

BTW, when I got my 7D2, my keeper rate for BIF was pathetic..... the more I used it and played with the settings, the better it got.... you really need to customize the settings for your own use....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

unfocused

• Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
...my guess would be that Explorers of Light need to be younger and fully engaged in the latest technology and perhaps Artie didn't fit that profile (anymore).

Looking at the Explores of Light (hate that term, reminds me of that horrible "painter of light" guy) it seems like a mix of a few true superstar photographers: Bruce Dorn, David Hume Kennerly, Douglas Kirkland, Peter Read Miller and Joyce Tenneson who, no doubt Canon courted pretty heavily and who probably get more consideration than others.

The bulk of the photographers seem to be people who are very talented and have been very successful commercially, but aren't likely to earn a place in the history books. A lot of them are Creative Live instructors: Roberto Valenzuela, Lindsey Adler, Sue Bryce, Joel Grimes, Peter Hurley. My guess they earned their spots through a combination of talent, success and teaching abilities. Plus, they are very good at self promotion.

I think I read/heard a few years back that Canon significantly revamped their workshops and other programs and set some pretty aggressive guidelines for what the photographers had to deliver (quotas for workshops, etc.) If I recall correctly, at the time they cleaned house and dropped a lot of people who weren't delivering in their view. Again, if I recall correctly, it created a lot of hard feelings at the time.

It seems like these days, Canon has pretty much gotten out of the traveling workshop business and offers mostly high-end "destination" workshops.

I'm just guessing, but as I say, I think they concentrate on a handful of really high quality legitimate superstars, supplemented by people that have a proven track record as commercial successes.

Jack Douglas

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 01:52:05 AM »
unfocused, that's interesting.  I guess none of this matters in the least, just something to gossip about. :)

I came into photography as a keen young fellow with an FTb and then an F1 but got so involved with other aspects of life that I never continued with it in spite of my love for it.  When I finally bought a DSLR it was a Nikon and I liked it but gave it to my daughter and bought into Canon because of their lenses.  As a result I'm very ignorant on many fronts, but it's all interesting. It's amazing how GAS affects us all.

Jack

Mikehit

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »
Never the less, I have reason to believe there is some truth to it, and maybe Arash first switched and influenced him.

I just found a bit on Fredmiranda saying Arash seems to be selling his Canon gear as well! That is a surprise given his comments about Nikon tcs - and he uses tcs a lot!

Refurb7

• EOS M5
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
He got dumped by Canon and this is his payback.  That's what happens when you're a sponsored photographer and the money dries up.  You feel compelled to give your old brand a public trashing.  It's like a quasi-religious conversion.  One day he wakes up and has an epiphany that the old "faith" was all wrong, and the new faith is the only true one.  The message to followers is:   take heed of the new faith.  If I were Canon I would have dumped him for his web site alone, if for nothing else.

Mikehit

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 06:08:07 AM »
He got dumped by Canon and this is his payback.  That's what happens when you're a sponsored photographer and the money dries up.  You feel compelled to give your old brand a public trashing.  It's like a quasi-religious conversion.  One day he wakes up and has an epiphany that the old "faith" was all wrong, and the new faith is the only true one.  The message to followers is:   take heed of the new faith.  If I were Canon I would have dumped him for his web site alone, if for nothing else.

What is it about internet forums that someone cannot simply change their minds? Why does it have to be 'payback' or 'public trashing'. The money dried up 4 years ago - he has taken a long time to get revenge.

Have you read any of the articles? Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?

docsmith

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 06:47:08 AM »
From the first moment that I acquired focus on a bird in flight three days ago on January 20,

And he started selling all his Canon gear 4 days later?  That is either crazy impulsive or something has been brewing for awhile and I do not buy the story.  It sounds like some of you know/have met Art, to be clear, I haven't, so I am not trying to cast a negative light.  But I know I would have tried things over time, in different settings, etc, before selling my system that had worked so well for me for decades.

Of course, this was from today: 
First Nikon System Issue
I encountered some serious problems acquiring focus when using the 200-500 with the TCE 14 and the D5. Strangely enough, those problems exist only with static subjects! I’ve tried group, d9, and single point with similar results. Stranger still is the fact that even when I manually pre-focus and get the AF right on the bird’s eye, the system sometimes searches hopelessly. Even in high contrast situations. Any and all advise or comments are welcome.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 06:47:08 AM »

Valvebounce

• Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
Hi Folks.
Personally I have trouble taking advice from people who don’t know the difference between advice and advise!  ::)
His switch seems quite reasonable to me though I don’t follow him.
I won’t use an adjustable wrench if I have a ring or crescent that fits, however an adjustable wrench is the tool when nothing else fits tightly.
It seems he is using the right tool for the job! I wish him the best of luck.

Cheers, Graham.

From the first moment that I acquired focus on a bird in flight three days ago on January 20,

And he started selling all his Canon gear 4 days later?  That is either crazy impulsive or something has been brewing for awhile and I do not buy the story.  It sounds like some of you know/have met Art, to be clear, I haven't, so I am not trying to cast a negative light.  But I know I would have tried things over time, in different settings, etc, before selling my system that had worked so well for me for decades.

Of course, this was from today: 
First Nikon System Issue
I encountered some serious problems acquiring focus when using the 200-500 with the TCE 14 and the D5. Strangely enough, those problems exist only with static subjects! I’ve tried group, d9, and single point with similar results. Stranger still is the fact that even when I manually pre-focus and get the AF right on the bird’s eye, the system sometimes searches hopelessly. Even in high contrast situations. Any and all advise or comments are welcome.

7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

docsmith

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
It seems he is using the right tool for the job! I wish him the best of luck.

Yep...I do occasionally check out his blog and wish him the best of luck as well.  It will be interesting to see his experiences, if nothing else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »