June 22, 2018, 09:15:22 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Canon APS-C CINI Soft Focus Zoom Lens  (Read 1888 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
Patent: Canon APS-C CINI Soft Focus Zoom Lens
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
As we dig through all of this “new camera” chatter from recent days, we continue to be reminded of patent applications over the last few months.

This one is for a soft focus Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3. This sort of lens could basically be an EF-M Cine Lens which would use the soft focus capability to blur out the background in shots.

Canon News Interprets Japan Patent Application 2018-10282:

While the lens itself isnt’ that exciting and originally I wasn’t going to even post this patent application. After some later thought, I decided it may be showing a trend in what Canon may be considering – a EF-M mini-CINI-EOS.

The curious thing to also note is that this would indicate a camera with a APS-C sensor

However both of them exhibit no image height and back focus changes as the lens goes from wide to far, which is a trend in CINI lenses more than regular zooms.

We think there is something definitely going on, as we’re getting a lot of detailed patent applications on complete and near complete products.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Patent: Canon APS-C CINI Soft Focus Zoom Lens
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »

BasXcanon

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: Patent: Canon APS-C CINI Soft Focus Zoom Lens
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »
XC-15 mark II with EFM mount FTW!!!

canonnews

• Administrator
  • EOS Rebel T7i
    • CanonNews
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
The curious thing to also note is that this would indicate a camera with a APS-C sensor
However both of them exhibit no image height and back focus changes as the lens goes from wide to far, which is a trend in CINI lenses more than regular zooms.

that's some really awkward wording because I changed that patent information a few times as I got confused with others (there's too many!! lol)

it should really say:

The curious thing to also note is that this would indicate a camera with a APS-C sensor, not Super 35 as you would normally see from a Canon CINI lens.  There no back focus changes as the lens goes from wide to far, which is a trend in CINI lenses more than regular zooms.

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
I think Canon is trolling ashandford. I think he predicted the soft focus lens would be back in a new variant before
we get a new 50mm F1.4  lens.
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

cpreston

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
XC-15 mark II with EFM mount FTW!!!

I would buy that camera on release. I find the XC15 to be great, but the ability to throw the ef-m 22mm on it with a small gimbal would be ideal for my uses.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
Cool stuff, interesting, and more indications of video-centric bodies launching.

I think Canon is trolling ashandford. I think he predicted the soft focus lens would be back in a new variant before
we get a new 50mm F1.4  lens.

There will be a 500mm f1.4 lens before a 50mm/1.4 IS :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »