June 22, 2018, 03:31:17 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Fingerprint ID on Your Cameras and Lenses  (Read 7663 times)

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Patent: Fingerprint ID on Your Cameras and Lenses
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
What a silly idea. Besides, I don't want any tipless gloves...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
I’m pretty sure that half the people making negative comments right now have said that they desperately wanted this feature in the past.

Why anyone (other than Roger) is looking at this negatively is completely beyond logic.

Remember when The Camera Store had a bunch of stuff stolen a few weeks ago?
Sure, the thief was caught, but the store wouldn’t have been a target in the first place if this system had been in place on the target cameras.

Same goes for you.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »

Cut your finger, and no more camera?

How well does it work in bright sunlight or in the dark?

“Honey, can I borrow your camera?”

“Can you take my picture?”

And not to forget how when the thief stole your 1DX3 and 600F4DO, they also cut off a finger so they could reprogram it.......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:35:09 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »

Cut your finger, and no more camera?

How well does it work in bright sunlight or in the dark?

“Honey, can I borrow your camera?”

“Can you take my picture?”

Fingerprint readers are a well developed technology and work in light and dark over a wide range of temperatures, however, removing your gloves in 20 below temperatures and having your finger freez to the lens does not sound very practical. 

This a idea that has too many issues to be implemented.

And not to forget how when the thief stole your 1DX3 and 600F4DO, they also cut off a finger so they could reprogram it.......

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
Fingerprint readers are a well developed technology and work in light and dark over a wide range of temperatures...

You must not own an iPhone.

I’m pretty sure that half the people making negative comments right now have said that they desperately wanted this feature in the past.

Why anyone (other than Roger) is looking at this negatively is completely beyond logic.

In theory I would like the feature, but having lived with the reality of this on my iPhone for several months I have no confidence in the technology. In order to use this feature, both my wife and I had to re-scan our fingerprints almost every time we used it. We've given up and now just use the code routinely.

The problem may be that this technology is designed by and tested on twenty-somethings. As you age, your fingerprints become less prominent and I suspect that may be a problem. In addition, if you live in a cold climate and develop any type of weather-related dry skin, it fubars the reader as well.

Some ideas sound great, but just don't work in practice. That is our experience with fingerprint technology.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
Fingerprint readers are a well developed technology and work in light and dark over a wide range of temperatures...

HA! Exactly!

I cut my finger, it did not work......

does not work when my hands are dirty.....

does not work in dim light......

does not work when you get out of the bathtub....

I turned it off..... If Apple can't make it reliable, I doubt that Canon can.

BTW, profession equipment has to work EVERY time.... working most of the time jusat does not cut it, and working only some of the time is garbage.

The best camera is the one in your hands

Ryananthony

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
My pixel 2 has been surprisingly responsive. Not often does it not scan on first try and is incredibly quick. Far far better than my Samsung note edge I had previously.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »

dsut4392

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 01:52:28 AM »
It better work better than iPhone finger print ID.
I’ve had the 5s and 7, while the 5s fingerprint recognition was a bit fussy (first generation) I find the 7´s to be rock solid. It’s just works-it’s reliable, and super fast.  Fast enough that if I just want to get to the camera from lock screen I need to wake it up with the power button or a different finger.  With my thumb it turns on and unlocks all in an instant.  I’ve not really had an issue to be able to say it needs improvement asides from being fussy with water like every other touch screen I’ve ever tried.

"60% of the time, it works every time"

But if my hands have been wet for more than a brief period (swimming, kayaking, washing the dishes) or have been doing anything that involves gripping something abrasive (gardening, woodworking, building, rock climbing), it doesn't work at all.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 05:08:05 AM »
It’s not like they’re putting this on the shutter button.

I’m sure the fingerprint reader will never be mandatory, but everyone will appreciate having the option of at least locking their camera momentarily.

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
waste of time, money, resources ... on Canon's part and on (most) buyer's part as well.

to add a "anti-theft, lock camera" feature would only require a single menu entry in firmware for a user code. Objective accomplished.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »

In theory I would like the feature, but having lived with the reality of this on my iPhone for several months I have no confidence in the technology. In order to use this feature, both my wife and I had to re-scan our fingerprints almost every time we used it. We've given up and now just use the code routinely.

The problem may be that this technology is designed by and tested on twenty-somethings. As you age, your fingerprints become less prominent and I suspect that may be a problem. In addition, if you live in a cold climate and develop any type of weather-related dry skin, it fubars the reader as well.

Some ideas sound great, but just don't work in practice. That is our experience with fingerprint technology.

My experience is quite different.  I've had my iPhone 6 for over 3 years, recorded 4 fingerprints the day I got it, have never reprogrammed them, and can reliably unlock the phone with thumb or index finger of either hand.  Sure, with wet hands or gloves, it fails.  Duh.  But otherwise, it just works.  Even just now, with a little donut glaze on my thumb.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
waste of time, money, resources ... on Canon's part and on (most) buyer's part as well.

to add a "anti-theft, lock camera" feature would only require a single menu entry in firmware for a user code. Objective accomplished.

Lots of assumptions there.  I seem to recall camera bodies being hardened as well.  As far as R&D, its generally more wide ranging than production, and should be encouraged to be that way.  Just limiting R&D to existing technology is a sure fire way to fail.

I don't expect to see hardening of conventional cameras in my future, but for surveillance and medical, it might be part of a system approach.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »

Actually, I do, as well as fingerprint readers of various types for computers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »

angrykarl

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Amateur enthusiast
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 01:13:57 PM »
The customization per-user seems intriguing to me. Often when on a trip I'm sharing the camera with my girlfriend and while I usually shoot in Manual with 1-point AF, she favours Av and face detection. It would be great if the camera automatically switched the profiles when each of use took the camera in hands.

Btw I'm having few to none problems with TouchID on my iPhone. Only once in a loong time it doesn't work so I clean it with a sleeve and it's good to go. And I've got the 1st gen sensor (iPhone SE)... :)
EOS M5

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »
No way do I want this. I doubt thieves would even know this feature exists. How many cameras does a thief steal to know this feature is there? I assume that is the function of such a feature; to discourage theft. After the camera is stolen, what do I care if it works or not?
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »