June 22, 2018, 07:43:03 AM

Author Topic: How "Pro" are iPad Pro and Affinity together?  (Read 7105 times)

lion rock

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: How "Pro" are iPad Pro and Affinity together?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
I don't have the PRO version of iPAD.  But I ramble on:
I have a couple of issues ---
With regular iPAD, there is no direct adaptor for CF card, just SD card.  I'm told that to import from CF cards, the iPAD has to be jail broken to enable higher power delivered to the CF card reader.
Then, my experience is that photos imported are assigned with random file numbers not consecutive ones.  Further, I think the file sizes are reduced.
So, I'm not truly happy to use the iPAD for editing, though I have with a defunct (by new iOS) editor, "PhotoGene".
.jpg files imported and reviewed or for simple show&tell is fine.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
I don't have the PRO version of iPAD.  But I ramble on:
I have a couple of issues ---
With regular iPAD, there is no direct adaptor for CF card, just SD card.  I'm told that to import from CF cards, the iPAD has to be jail broken to enable higher power delivered to the CF card reader.
Then, my experience is that photos imported are assigned with random file numbers not consecutive ones.  Further, I think the file sizes are reduced.
So, I'm not truly happy to use the iPAD for editing, though I have with a defunct (by new iOS) editor, "PhotoGene".
.jpg files imported and reviewed or for simple show&tell is fine.
-r

Apple do make some very curious decisions sometimes with regards locking features out, it's almost like they and Canon came from the same school.

Anyway, I use CF and CFast cards mostly, and I upload to the iPad via the the USB dongle connected to the camera. This relies on the power from the camera so negates your issue, but my iPad is the Pro model and I don't know if that makes a difference.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
You guys should consider a Surface Pro  8)

There are no problems using any type of card that you want, CF, SD, whatever -- all at USB3 speeds, and you can use the proper Canon Remote Shooting utility, which is a zillion times more complete and powerful than the iOS/Android phone/tablet apps.  Also, DPP to view RAWs, or desktop Lightroom to do stuff, and to print.  And it runs real Photoshop.  Plus, you have real SSD storage instead of the Flash crap.  The difference in handling 30MB+ files is huge.

For me, a proper file system and OS is nice too, as it means that if I'm just waiting around, I can easily sort photos.  For some cameras, like my 80D (but not 6D2), the OS natively reads the RAW files, which is so freaking amazingly useful -- instead of blank icons, there are previews in the file explorer, you can just double clicking a RAW and open it in the system photo viewer, and swipe through them.  For whatever reason, it's also instant loading times, unlike programs like DPP, which have a pause selection and un-blurred preview.

The form factor is versatile, too: you can mount it onto a tripod or light stand as a tablet, or, you can use it as a laptop with a proper keyboard/touchpad or mouse.

The latest SP (2017 version) is also fanless and has much better battery life than its predecessors, particularly in sleep mode.  I'm very happy with mine!

No, I do not work for Microsoft  ;D

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »
Apple has taken a close look at Android and finally introduced the "Files" -app.
You can see what it does from here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9HT3Qaeyg

Does it find files from an external WiFi disk?
I would be surprised if it didn't.

There are these external "clip" type memory extenders as well: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-external-storage-drives-for-iphone-ipad-3579792/

Has Surface Pro resolved the quality issues they used to have? [size=78%]http://observer.com/2017/08/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-quality-control-apple-win/[/size]
They had 10-17% return rate at launch. Kind of too high.

Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
Thank you for the very solid and informative answers.
Seems it was the right forum after all.
Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

privatebydesign

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
Apple has taken a close look at Android and finally introduced the "Files" -app.
You can see what it does from here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9HT3Qaeyg

There are these external "clip" type memory extenders as well: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-external-storage-drives-for-iphone-ipad-3579792/

Has Surface Pro resolved the quality issues they used to have? [size=78%]http://observer.com/2017/08/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-quality-control-apple-win/[/size]

No at this point the 'Locations' option does not 'see' the WD My Passport Wireless, or much else but a very few select outside sources. Dropbox integrates by default as does anything you have in an iCloud account, I'm sure everybody is working on it and when 'Locations' can see more sources it will all work as it we'd like.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
You guys should consider a Surface Pro  8)

Yeah, but then you're stuck working with Microsoft stuff.....ick.
;)

And with a surface pro, you're not going to get the screen resolution nor raw hardware performance of the iPad Pro.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »

No at this point the 'Locations' option does not 'see' the WD My Passport Wireless, or much else but a very few select outside sources. Dropbox integrates by default as does anything you have in an iCloud account, I'm sure everybody is working on it and when 'Locations' can see more sources it will all work as it we'd like.

PBD!!

Hey, there...I took your info and got myself a WD 4TB wireless passport pro too.

So, far, has been fun experimenting with it and the iPad Pro.

A couple of questions if I might....
1. I copied an image from my iPhone to the WD drive and was able to put it into a folder I created and named Photos.  I then pulled from the WD drive into Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro, did some work on it. This was just a jpg, for playing with the process.

I moved the file from iPad pro to WD drive....and it only will put it in "Downloads"....and that's where I have my problems. I can't seem to find "Downloads" when in the WD filesystem browser type area, so that I can put that new file into Photos with the rest......have you been able to move things around that go to the download folder?

2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the WD Passport drive to wirelessly connect to the internet so that I can update.  My network does filter based on MAC addresses....which I put into the system....and I have tried over and over with the passwords on the WD...but it just cannot seem to connect through my home wireless system to the internet......did you have any problems connecting it to the internet to get updates?

Thanks in advance!!!

cayenne

privatebydesign

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
Hi cayenne,

1: In 'Downloads' go 'Select' choose, then 'Copy' then the root of 'My Cloud app' shows and your drive is there. You can then put any file into any folder.

2: No, no problems so far. The place to find the setting is when you open the 'My Cloud' app go to the three lines in the top left corner, then the bottom option, 'Settings' then 'My Passport', then 'WiFi'It shows the available networks and I have just been able to connect to them, I have connected to several different ones since I've had it and with it here now if I go 'Settings' 'Firmware' it runs a check to see if I am up to date. It will time out if there isn't a good connection though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »