May 20, 2018, 04:08:00 PM

Author Topic: The List of Gear to be Announced in February, Including More Speedlite Information [CR3]  (Read 16890 times)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Possible AI auto-bounce...

Flash has "ceiling mode" -- point the flash at the ceiling, flash automatically determines range to celing, then, assuming it's a white ceiling, combines with angle, rotation, ETTL to calculate required adjusted power level and camera exposure settings.

canon rumors FORUM

swblackwood

• PowerShot SX60 HS
I thought there was to be a couple Powershots for CP+/
The T100 doesn't seem to make sense at. So now we'll have how many levels of APS-c DSLRs? 200d, T100, T7, T7i/77d, 80d. The mind, it reels.

vangelismm

• EOS Rebel 300D

Flash has "ceiling mode" -- point the flash at the ceiling, flash automatically determines range to celing, then, assuming it's a white ceiling, combines with angle, rotation, ETTL to calculate required adjusted power level and camera exposure settings.

It bounces well without all this.

Refurb7

• EOS M5
Re: The List of Gear to be Announced in February
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
A PSA that I discovered by fluke:  the latest Yongnuo YNE3-RT's (the controller) has an AF assist illuminator that works with new Canon cameras, like 80D and 6DII.  They are indistinguishable from the old ones physically.  The old ones won't work even if the firmware is flashed up to 1.24.  There is a similar issue in the YN600EX-RT flashes too, but a lot of folks don't know that there is an "updated" controller.
For eye safety reasons I wouldn't use the laser based AF assist. But do you know if newer versions  of YN-E3-RT also stopped eating batteries while turned off? The unit I have uses up a set of batteries in about 2 weeks even when turned off.

Laser?!  Are you sure it's laser?  And there's a safety issue?  I thought it was just a red beam of near infra-red light.  The AF assist light is a huge benefit on flashes.  Seems like a real safety issue would come with a big warning, or be banned.

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
A PSA that I discovered by fluke:  the latest Yongnuo YNE3-RT's (the controller) has an AF assist illuminator that works with new Canon cameras, like 80D and 6DII.  They are indistinguishable from the old ones physically.  The old ones won't work even if the firmware is flashed up to 1.24.  There is a similar issue in the YN600EX-RT flashes too, but a lot of folks don't know that there is an "updated" controller.
For eye safety reasons I wouldn't use the laser based AF assist. But do you know if newer versions  of YN-E3-RT also stopped eating batteries while turned off? The unit I have uses up a set of batteries in about 2 weeks even when turned off.

Laser?!  Are you sure it's laser?  And there's a safety issue?  I thought it was just a red beam of near infra-red light.  The AF assist light is a huge benefit on flashes.  Seems like a real safety issue would come with a big warning, or be banned.

You mean you haven't heard about the huge class action suit against all flash manufacturers, laser pointer makers, burglar alarm companies, elevator companies, surveying companies, garage door opener companies, concert stage lighting companies, those people on PBS that make 3D graphic reproductions of old buildings, etc???

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII

It bounces well without all this.

Of course it does.  But then you need to do hard things like go, oh, this bounce might be -1 stop, and adjust your exposure settings accordingly.  ETTL for teh win!

Personally, I'm not sure I've used ETTL since the first time I tried it out, and wondered, "why would I ever want to use that?"  I'm with you: it's sounds kind of gimmicky, but I'll reserve judgement til it drops.  I guess it's fine in the next 600 series flash as long as it doesn't cost anything extra and I can ignore it or shut it off :)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

You mean you haven't heard about the huge class action suit against all flash manufacturers, laser pointer makers, burglar alarm companies, elevator companies, surveying companies, garage door opener companies, concert stage lighting companies, those people on PBS that make 3D graphic reproductions of old buildings, etc???

Huh?  I'm pretty sure that the AF assist illuminator in every flash I've ever owned is just a white light firing through a red cover, not a laser of any sort.  I've had the red flash covers pop off after I dropped the flash, though the last time that happened was many moons ago  ;D

I assure you most burglar alarm motion detectors do NOT employ lasers.  They use infrared light, which is totally different; and I don't know how a motion detector could cause eye damage, ever.  Only in the movies do you have visible grids of lasers to prevent super-spies from getting to their prize 8).  Garage door openers... Those are all radio frequency.  The detector for whether the door is closed or not is definitely not a laser (you don't have to aim it very carefully, and you can't see a dot if you put your hand in between the two); and besides, it's half an inch from the ground.  You can use it from inside your pocket, right?  And er... please enlighten me... elevators... lasers?   ???
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:59:54 PM by Talys »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 11:52:32 PM »

Huh?  I'm pretty sure that the AF assist illuminator in every flash I've ever owned is just a white light firing through a red cover, not a laser of any sort.

I assure you most burglar alarm motion detectors do NOT employ lasers.  They use infrared light, which is totally different; and I don't know how a motion detector could cause eye damage, ever.  Garage door openers... Those are all radio frequency.  You can use it from inside your pocket, right?  And er... please enlighten me... elevators... lasers?   ???

My bad. It was a sarcastic response to a silly premise. Most ot those lights are low powered LEDs that are harmless.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
My bad. It was a sarcastic response to a silly premise. Most ot those lights are low powered LEDs that are harmless.

Aha! LOL.  Sorry, man, I was too slow on the uptake  8)

Tyroop

• EOS Rebel T7i
Canon EOS M50 A mirrorless camera between teh EOS M6 and EOS M100. We expect the price of it to be close to the EOS M6.
If it's positioned below the M6 but the price is close to the M6, what's the point?

midluk

• EOS 80D
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:48 AM »
I am not speaking about flashes (or what ever came up later to ridicule me), but specifically about the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT flash trigger unit. I also have not yet seen any laser based AF assist lamp on a flash (although my experience there is limited to Canon brand).

All the LED based AF assist lamps on the Canon flashes produce some broad soft pattern. The red plastic in front of the lamp seems to have multiple angled surfaces to produce the pattern through refraction. The whole system is relatively huge.

The AF assist on the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT produces some very tiny bright dots with the typical laser speckle pattern. I can't imagine to produce this without collimated coherent laser light. And compared to the Canon flashes, the AF assist system on the YN-E3-RT is just one very tiny flat light source (very likely a laser diode with some micro structured filter) with a flat red cover.

Likely the laser power is low enough to not cause eye damage, but I would not want to risk it. To be honest, I wouldn't trust any Chinese manufacturer selling products under its own brand to comply with any regulations.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
We need a weather resistant EOS-M, even if APS-C.

Well, it's a pretty small camera.

:P

While the camera will survive you get a unique "bad weather look" photographing through some not really optically perfect material. And I think these bags do not come in multi coated versions!
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?

That's how ETTL works already, it doesn't need a 'ceiling mode' because it measures reflected light from the scene and subject.

You should try ETTL with bounce, it is very cool.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

midluk

• EOS 80D

That's how ETTL works already, it doesn't need a 'ceiling mode' because it measures reflected light from the scene and subject.

Afaik ETTL-II in all modern cameras takes into account the focus distance setting of the lens for direct flash and not just uses the measurement of reflected light. But I doubt that any improvement related to that would be called "AI auto-bounce", it would be more likely called ETTL-III.

For me this sounds more like a motorized bounce card.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?

Afaik ETTL-II in all modern cameras takes into account the focus distance setting of the lens for direct flash and not just uses the measurement of reflected light. But I doubt that any improvement related to that would be called "AI auto-bounce", it would be more likely called ETTL-III.

For me this sounds more like a motorized bounce card.

The focus distance is another metric the system can use, after testing it seems the most important use for it is when the background is very reflective, this is easily tested by putting the lens in Manual focus. Don't forget it is using the zones to try to establish where the subject is within the frame and ETTL II is designed to prioritize the 'subject' exposure, the ambient exposure is trying to expose the 'background' correctly.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM