February 24, 2018, 05:31:41 PM

Author Topic: More About the "Major Mirrorless Presentation", It's The EOS M50  (Read 7131 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
More About the "Major Mirrorless Presentation", It's The EOS M50
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
We’ve had a vague update to the “major mirrorless presentation” we reported last month. It turns out the invitation was likely just for one specific country and wasn’t a global event. We never received a visual confirmation of the invite, but the follow-up from the source is enough for us to be confident of its authenticity.

Canon sometimes has a very different meaning than we do when it comes to something “major”.

The event is likely for the EOS M50. The form of the camera was probably revealed in the invite, the outline should closely resemble the EOS M6.

We’re hoping for something surprising with the EOS M50, but currently there are no reliable specifications out there.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:59:21 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

More About the "Major Mirrorless Presentation", It's The EOS M50
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I do not own the lens listed above
Re: More About the \
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Ok gotcha, the way you worded this in the February announcements thread it made me think it had been previously updated and I missed it, not just clarified as of today.
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

-pekr-

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • 2zone studio
Re: More About the "Major Mirrorless Presentation", It's The EOS M50
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Just LOL, not to the CR site, but to the Canon. So still no news on the FF MILC.

sniper_shooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »
 ;D Prepare to be disappointed, all over again.
No 4K, No canon log... it must be another toy with 1080 60p 8bit 4:2:0 and Dual-Pixel-AF.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
Not sure why the M50 would warrant the tag of 'major' mirrorless presentation.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »
Maybe next time, people will listen.

I love this forum. There is a rumor that Canon is inviting a bunch of executives to some mystery reception. CR Guy posts a mockup of the supposed invite. Suddenly everybody goes crazy fantasizing that their dream camera is coming...

...You all might want to take a deep breath and ask yourselves a few questions:

Where is this reception being held? One location in one country? Or multiple locations in multiple countries?

Who is it that is being invited? Select dealers and VIPs of what companies?...

...Depending on who is being invited, ask yourselves why they would be invited or even interested in an announcement of a niche market camera like a  full-frame mirrorless. 

As Neuro has reminded everyone countless times – don't confuse what you personally want with what the market cares about.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »

Some people like a spectacle.  Maybe I can point them in the right direction...

;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »

Yasko

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »

I love this forum. There is a rumor that Canon is inviting a bunch of executives to some mystery reception. CR Guy posts a mockup of the supposed invite. Suddenly everybody goes crazy fantasizing that their dream camera is coming...

...You all might want to take a deep breath and ask yourselves a few questions:

Where is this reception being held? One location in one country? Or multiple locations in multiple countries?

Who is it that is being invited? Select dealers and VIPs of what companies?...

...Depending on who is being invited, ask yourselves why they would be invited or even interested in an announcement of a niche market camera like a  full-frame mirrorless. 

As Neuro has reminded everyone countless times – don't confuse what you personally want with what the market cares about.

Why should I? I dont know what you think, but I am always in to let my expectations and/or my thoughts about upcoming announcements strive a little bit.
It's not like my life depends on them to become true.
And ye, I admit it, it's not what I wanted it to be, so what?

You take your warnings and the whole issue much too serious I would say  ;D.

efmshark

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
All the M series cameras (with the possible of M5) have a relatively small body form factor that is reminiscent of the "enthusiast" P&S cameras of the past 10-15 years. A new M series with a somewhat larger form factor, similar to the Canon Rangefinders of yesteryore would be not only very retro-chic in terms of looks but also easier to handle for many people.

A real bonus would be "hybrid" optical/OLED viewfinder like the Fuji X-Pro2, but even a simple integrated OLED viewfinder that is located at the conventional upper left corner of the back of the camera would be nice.

Ed V

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »
And the beat goes on!

Cut it with the new M cameras already. How about some new M glass... like a 50mm equivalent prime for starters.

After years of lugging around a 5D3-type DSLR and L-glass I need something smaller and lighter. I finally gave up on Canon and now shoot Fuji. Sold all my Canon gear save the M5 which is still gathering dust in the camera cabinet.

What a crock!
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »
And the beat goes on!

Cut it with the new M cameras already. How about some new M glass... like a 50mm equivalent prime for starters.

After years of lugging around a 5D3-type DSLR and L-glass I need something smaller and lighter. I finally gave up on Canon and now shoot Fuji. Sold all my Canon gear save the M5 which is still gathering dust in the camera cabinet.

What a crock!

You must have missed this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34384.msg705642#msg705642

transpo1

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:23:51 AM »
And the beat goes on!

What a crock!

You must have missed this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34384.msg705642#msg705642

We need a weather resistant EOS-M, even if APS-C. Oh, and with 4K. But that goes without saying ;)

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
And the beat goes on!

What a crock!

If you now shoot Fuji, why do care what Canon does.  Sell your M5 and then you no longer will have any complaints. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »

CaMeRa QuEsT

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 10:09:53 AM »
I realized what Canon is doing here: they are re-aligning the M model numbers so that the M100 (and M200 and so forth an so on) now becomes the entry level APS-C, M50 will be the midrange APS-C replacement for the M6, and there'll probably be an M55 which will be the top range APS-C replacement for the M5.  They're doing this so that the M7 moniker will be reserved for their top of the line full framer, linking it nicely with Canon's last, high end, model 7 rangefinder from the film era.  If it's so, that'll mean that they will use the EF-M mount for their full framer, which will inherit all the limitations of Sony's E-Mount on FF sensors, as the EF-M mount is pretty much a copy of the E-Mount.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:16:16 AM by CaMeRa QuEsT »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
I realized what Canon is doing here: they are re-aligning the M model numbers so that the M100 (and M200 and so forth an so on) now becomes the entry level APS-C, M50 will be the midrange APS-C replacement for the M6...

Except...

EOS M50: A mirrorless camera between the EOS M6 and EOS M100. We expect the price of it to be close to the EOS M6.

The EOS 77D fell in between the 80D and T7i, and replaced neither.  It may be that’s the case with the M50.  As Canon gets deeper into mirrorless, they’re adding more subdivisions in their lineup.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »