February 24, 2018, 07:33:02 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS - No Tripod Collar  (Read 624 times)

cliffec

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS - No Tripod Collar
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
Bought a used Canon EF 300mm 2.8L IS (version 1) - it came with the classic beauty case, hood and other original parts, but no tripod collar unfortunately. The original part is called YG9-0618 (ring and foot combined).

Thought it would be easy to find one on eBay or in other web shops selling spare parts. Or alternatively an off-brand copy. But I was greatly mistaken there.

Everything seems to lead to a dead end when you dig deeper.

It's no longer in production as the lens is discontinued, but I assumed there would be have been a surplus production or at least some people selling spare parts from broken versions of the lens. Nothing!

I guess I can have one manufactured, but it will probably end up costing more than the lens. Considering selling to someone who plan to use it exclusively hand-held and getting the version 2 instead. Or at least a version 1 with the collar.

Any suggestions as to where to look?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS - No Tripod Collar
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS - No Tripod Collar
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Have you tried calling any of Canon's service centers for suggestions?  Maybe the PPA forums?  Maybe a large university with a photojournalism program?

Wishing  you luck!

Jim Saunders

• EOS 5DS R
    • HHA Photo
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Try this: https://eu.eetgroup.com/i/YG9-0618-000-Canon-Tripod-Ring-Unit

Also this is another number for it: 5704327786276

Jim
A good image might fit entirely into the histogram, might not.

sama

• EOS M5
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »
Bought a used Canon EF 300mm 2.8L IS (version 1) - it came with the classic beauty case, hood and other original parts, but no tripod collar unfortunately. The original part is called YG9-0618 (ring and foot combined).

Thought it would be easy to find one on eBay or in other web shops selling spare parts. Or alternatively an off-brand copy. But I was greatly mistaken there.

Everything seems to lead to a dead end when you dig deeper.

It's no longer in production as the lens is discontinued, but I assumed there would be have been a surplus production or at least some people selling spare parts from broken versions of the lens. Nothing!

I guess I can have one manufactured, but it will probably end up costing more than the lens. Considering selling to someone who plan to use it exclusively hand-held and getting the version 2 instead. Or at least a version 1 with the collar.

Any suggestions as to where to look?

Try this link :  https://shop.procurrieurope.com/Product/CA-YG9-0618-000

cliffec

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and help, everyone. I saw several people looking for one - and seemingly giving up - and the few web shop listings looked quite sketchy.

After contacting a few webshops - they guaranteed that they could get it - although not currently stocked and it would be weeks in delivery.

I tried a Canon service center that is able to get it at relatively short notice, so I guess they can still get them for spare parts. And reasonably priced I should add (although still costing more than a few low-end lenses, but that is to be expected).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »