February 25, 2018, 05:01:01 PM

Author Topic: Watermark  (Read 1686 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: Watermark
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
There is another reason for a watermark.  If you have a nice watermark, it can add to your finished image.

Yes. This is actually a good point. My wife watermarks her images with a very discrete and attractive signature. She isn't interested in protecting the image, but she shares a lot of images with fellow bird and nature photographers on twitter and it's a miniature business card that is a nice way to build a reputation and following.

Also, for those thinking a watermark will protect your image: unless it is an annoying and huge watermark, it's a very simple matter to remove a watermark with a healing brush, clone stamp or patch tool. So it really won't deter someone who wants to steal your image.

As time passes, my watermark gets smaller and smaller.

If anyone wanted to steal the picture, all they have to do is crop off the bottom 5 percent.... or put their own watermark on top of mine.... or healing brush....

The only other option is to protect it with a HUGE! watermark..... Besides, the odds of someone stealing one of my pictures is quite low :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »

lion rock

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Nicely done Don.
I'd prefer no shadows with the watermark, too disruptive.  I'm able to look pass the text.
Nice photo, too.
-r

As time passes, my watermark gets smaller and smaller.

If anyone wanted to steal the picture, all they have to do is crop off the bottom 5 percent.... or put their own watermark on top of mine.... or healing brush....

The only other option is to protect it with a HUGE! watermark..... Besides, the odds of someone stealing one of my pictures is quite low :)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »
Also, for those thinking a watermark will protect your image: unless it is an annoying and huge watermark, it's a very simple matter to remove a watermark with a healing brush, clone stamp or patch tool. So it really won't deter someone who wants to steal your image.

A watermark doesn't automatically protect your image, but may make easier to go after those who steal your images, because it means they may need to break even more laws and regulations. It's like a simple lock or a fence, easy to bypass, but those who do automatically break a law, and can't invoke a "mistake". Obviously, if you have no will to ever go after them, yes, the watermark may just become an ad/signature for your work.

Otherwise it is a layer of legal protection - just like when one licenses an image he or she establishes usage rights, and don't simply say "OK, use it at you discretion". Legal protection is not bomb-proof protection, but it could help one day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »