February 25, 2018, 01:06:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon XC20 Coming Soon? The First Specification List Appears  (Read 4209 times)

transpo1

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Canon XC20 Coming Soon? The First Specification List Appears
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
How I see this series of cameras:

Potential Customer
"I'd like a inexpensive DSLR, something under $2000 that does decent 4K recording."

Canon
"How about this camera with a 1" sensor and non-removable lens?"

Potential Customer
"Um..."

Right, because that's really the market this camera is aiming at.  ::)

Then tell us who the market is for this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »

transpo1

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
Well, 4K 60p would be something. Now try it with an EF or EF-M mount and APS-C Sensor.
Do you know of any camera, any brand, in this form factor, with APS-C or lager sensor, that can shoot internal 4K 60P? Just curious.
Reading forums, it seems that the camera that everyone talks about and compares new offerings with does record internal 4K, 60P, 4:2:2, 10 bit. But no one is producing that "unicorn".

Well,

1) Canon is the only manufacturer with THAT form factor, so the answer to that question is no if you include that. However, the GH5/s does 4K 60p and so does the 1DXII.

2) Just because no one is doing it does not mean no one SHOULD do it. This is against Canon’s conservative mentality, but it would be a great way to create a buzz around their video products again (at least, on the consumer / prosumer end).
By form factor, I meant still camera form as opposed to a dedicated video camera (ENG video cam, etc.).
Although GH5/s does impressive 4K 60p, it has micro-four-third sensor, quite smaller that APS-C and full frame and has crop factor of 2 compared to full-frame, which actually reads smaller area than 5D IV's 1.74 crop.
I agree that some company should stand up and make it happen.
Seems no other company has done it yet, except Canon, as you mentioned.   

I don’t know what your argument is here...
But, just for clarification...
-only the 1dx mark 2 does DCI 4K up to 60p with 1.35 crop from the FF sensor, but it’s 8 bit 4:2:2
-the 5D mark iv also has DCI 4K, but not 60p only up to 30p and 8bit 4:2:2 with 1.74 crop
-the 1dx mark 2 also has 1080p at 120fps where the 5Div maxes out at 60p on 1080p
-the GH5 has UHD at 60p and DCI 4K at 30p and depending on resolution + frame rate can do 10bit 4:2:2
-the GH5 has 6K (open-gate) anamorphic video (this is the most interesting thing for me)
-the GH5 has 1080p at 180fps
-the GH5S has DCI 4K at 60fps and better low-light, also has more 10bit 4:2:2 options but loses the 6K anamorphic.
-the GH5S has 1080p at 240fps
-both GH5 and GH5S are micro 4/3rd sensors, which is smaller than APS-C, but much much bigger than the 1inch sensor mentioned above.
-the GH5S has a slightly bigger sensor than GH5 - GH5 has 2.0 crop and GH5S has 1.86 crop. BTW, the GH4 has a 2.3 crop... it had something to do with how the sensor was being read.
-the GH5 has IBIS, whereas the GH5S loses the IBIS.
-speaking of crop factors, it really doesn’t matter for the GH5/GH5S, because look at their lens lineup... you will find lenses like the 12-35 f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8, 42.5 f/1.7 - those focal lengths remind you of any Canon equivalents?
-even if you want to use your Canon lenses on the GH5/GH5S - metabones makes speedboosters that make the crop factors 1.2 and 1.1 (respectively) which is not only way better than the 5D mark iv but also better than the 1dx mark 2
Interesting. Crop factors doesn't matter. Thanks for pointing out that we can use smaller sensor and get longer equivalent focal length via the native lenses. And also forget the laws of physics, light gathering and noise level, too. Interesting indeed.

With a Metabones XL, the GH5s will produce a 4K 60p image with a crop factor equal to or less than the 1DXII. Just to clarify for everyone.

Canon would sell a crapload of cameras if they made a mirrorless APS-C ILC that could do the same (and they would make money if they overprice it as they normally do).

But their conservative mentality prevents them from cannibalizing their own higher end products.

EduPortas

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »

Potential Customer
"I'd like a inexpensive DSLR, something under $2000 that does decent 4K recording."

Canon

Potential Customer
"Um..."

Apparently Canon intended the camera to be sold to journalists
that need a quick work turnaround with news agencies that requiere 4K video.

Other that that, it's used as a crash cam and maybe for some
run and gun productions (documentaries).

RayValdez360

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »

Potential Customer

Canon

Potential Customer
"Um..."

xc10 and xc15 owners obviously....

transpo1

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »

Potential Customer

Canon

Potential Customer
"Um..."

Not exactly shooting for the stars here, are they?

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 05:20:06 PM »

Potential Customer

Canon

Potential Customer
"Um..."

run and gun ENG work. you DO realize this has canon's C300 codecs right?

Even eoshd admits this is a great and fun camera package for run and gun work, and they have been highly critical of Canon lately.

I know complaining about canon and video is what you do here, and not much else; but perhaps you need to educate yourself just a smidgen then ;)

https://www.eoshd.com/2016/06/canon-xc10-versus-sony-rx10-iii-the-canon-is-underrated/

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:23:57 PM by rrcphoto »

BillB

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »

Potential Customer

Canon

Potential Customer
"Um..."

Not exactly shooting for the stars here, are they?

Well, no they are not shooting for the stars.  What is your point?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »

bhf3737

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 08:58:17 PM »
With a Metabones XL, the GH5s will produce a 4K 60p image with a crop factor equal to or less than the 1DXII. Just to clarify for everyone.
I am afraid that is not correct. The crop factor of MFT sensor is 2 and it cannot grow larger to something like 1.3 because it is limited by the physical size of the sensor that is 1/4 of a full frame 35mm sensor. It can only further be cropped to something smaller.
With a speed-booster like Metabones, you can get 1 to 1.3 stops more light into the MFT sensor, that will improve the noise performance at the expense of some hit on image quality. Also you get a slight narrower field of view, between 1.28 and 1.42, depending on the speed-booster version, i.e. 100mm FF lens will have field of view equivalent to 128-142mm.
Please see http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/sensor-crop-factors for reference.

Talys

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »

Is that the go-to phrase in these photography forums, if you don't understand something? Cause its really clichéd.

In any case, I'm not claiming to know better.... but you are.... so I say that you take it up with Panasonic Engineers. Go argue with them that they aren't obeying "the laws of physics, light gathering and noise levels..." boo hoo hoo...

No, it's not a go-to phrase to say that bigger lenses ==> bigger sensor ==> more light onto sensor ==> better SNR.

People who don't agree with that should join the flat earth society.

There is nothing wrong with smaller sensors + higher density = smaller camera.  If you choose that route, and those are your priority, good for you; I'm happy for you! 

Just keep in mind that there are plenty of photography and broadcast video professionals that rank size and weight near the bottom of what's important.  Like NBC covering the 2018 Olympics with Canon gear and filling up those shelves with 200-400+1.4TC, 1DX2's and whatever model of camcorder that is they have that I'll never be able to afford.

In the more mortal realm, Equivalent Zoom is only really meaningful on telephoto.  At the wide end, there is nothing equivalent about zoom and crop factors, and it can really mess you up if you think about it that way.  A 10mm rectilinear lens is a 10 mm rectilinear lens whether you're looking at a center crop or a full frame crop.  One is just the middle cut out.

In other words, with more megapixels at telephoto, you can mimic (hence equivalent) reach.  But on wide angle, if you have things that are both near and far, you can't mimic a full frame by just using a wider angle lens on crop, because going wider will dramatically change the perspective of the shot, if you have stuff both near and far from you.

Ofcourse, Canon has a larger lens lineup, but the question is... why do you care if Canon has a larger lens lineup? Are you going to buy every single one? Just the important ones right? Just the ones you can afford right?

If all you're going to buy are the common trinity zooms or all you want to shoot are weddings, then guess what?  Any system will have stuff you can use.

If you want something that is not the most popular, bread-and-butter lenses, then yes, it matters a lot. Different people want different things.  And sometimes, you grow to become interested in something, so you end up buying a lens that wasn't useful to you before.  Plus, often, Canon has a very good low-price alternatives high value stuff, if you want "pretty good, but on a budget".

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 03:48:14 AM »

Because, they created these lenses (not me):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304868-REG/panasonic_h_hsa12035_lumix_g_x_vario.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304869-REG/panasonic_h_hsa35100_lumix_g_x_vario.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023336-REG/panasonic_leica_dg_nocticron_42_5mm.html/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MYUqDgO64up3DRnZqNj6JDlJrMjGD6to8nDajcTMlsP8bHLP6oHpJEaAkJDEALw_wcB

Editted to add: The link for Panasonic's 42.5mm is for the 1.2 not the 1.7 (they have one of those too). And, thats their 85mm - FF equivalent lens (btw, equivalency is also outlined in the links). Ofcourse, Canon has a larger lens lineup, but the question is... why do you care if Canon has a larger lens lineup? Are you going to buy every single one? Just the important ones right? Just the ones you can afford right?

It’s hilarious how many people bought the snake oil M4/3 is selling.
Those zooms are f5.6 equivalent due to the small sensor, and the f1.2 lens will barely outperfrom the Nifty Fifty on a Rebel.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226781-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtk35m95m2fx_speedmaster_35mm_f_0_95_mark.html
Now this is value for money.
The fact that it’s manual focus is a downside, but this is glass for a crop sensor that’s about as good as any Full Frame lens of equivalent price.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:53:05 AM by 9VIII »

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »

No, it's not a go-to phrase to say that bigger lenses ==> bigger sensor ==> more light onto sensor ==> better SNR.

Bwahahahaha.... alright...

However, if I can prove you wrong, will you join me in joining the flat earth society?

Okay... Lets not think about any other camera company (forget the whole mft segment)... lets strictly look at Canon and their cameras.

Rhetorical questions:

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 1dx mark 2 or the 5DSR?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 1dx mark 2 or the 1DS mark 3?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 80D or the 50D?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 80D or the 7D?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & different sensor size) - 80D or the 1dx mark 2? (This is the only time it will work in your favor - in terms of defining your logic above)

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & different sensor size) - 80D or Original 5D?

See... now.... you don't need to share your answers.... and I'm sure you've reached your own conclusions... but just to make sure your conclusions are similar to mine, is it really sensor size or the technology built within the sensor as well as behind the sensor that effects SNR?

Now, I know you are biased, as am I... as everyone... especially if you have invested so much time and money in that company. In this case, I strongly believe, without a doubt, that no matter what I say.... you're only going believe in what you believe in... and if you believe in Canon, then thats that....

But, nonetheless, lets see if you can be unbiased here...

I'm only assuming that you do not have any stakes in either Pentax or Olympus... thus making you a third party, unbiased judge of their technology.

Is it so hard to believe that Olympus has better technology than Pentax?

With that same reasoning, is it so hard to think that another company has better technology than Canon?

Lastly, read this:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/24/battle-micro-43-camera-outsold-full-frame-dslr/

After reading that, ask yourself this... sure... bigger sensor might be better (and I am really thinking about medium format and large format tbh)... but if you can't hack it with a smaller sensor, then may be its time for you to partake in another career/hobby?

If all you're going to buy are the common trinity zooms or all you want to shoot are weddings, then guess what?  Any system will have stuff you can use.

If you want something that is not the most popular, bread-and-butter lenses, then yes, it matters a lot. Different people want different things.  And sometimes, you grow to become interested in something, so you end up buying a lens that wasn't useful to you before.  Plus, often, Canon has a very good low-price alternatives high value stuff, if you want "pretty good, but on a budget".

Can you please tell me and/or list those less popular, and/or bread-and-butter lenses? It will save us a lot of time if you can.... then tell me the price of them.

Those zooms are f5.6 equivalent due to the small sensor, and the f1.2 lens will barely outperfrom the Nifty Fifty on a Rebel.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226781-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtk35m95m2fx_speedmaster_35mm_f_0_95_mark.html
The fact that it’s manual focus is a downside, but this is glass for a crop sensor that’s about as good as any Full Frame lens of equivalent price.

This brings up a good question...
FOV changes due to sensor size is obvious and relatively quantifiable.
But does speed of a lens change due to sensor size?
So, if I see f/2.8 on a lens.... thats how much I would expect it to let in light.... wide open its going to be f/2.8. The barrel of the lens does not automatically change shape to let in more light for a Full-frame as opposed to mft????

Lastly, you too should read this:
https://petapixel.com/2017/03/24/battle-micro-43-camera-outsold-full-frame-dslr/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:41:54 PM by mkabi »
Bah...

bhf3737

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »

However, if I can prove you wrong, will you join me in joining the flat earth society?

Okay... Lets not think about any other camera company (forget the whole mft segment)... lets strictly look at Canon and their cameras.

Rhetorical questions:

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 1dx mark 2 or the 5DSR?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 1dx mark 2 or the 1DS mark 3?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & same sensor size) - 80D or the 50D?

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & different sensor size) - 80D or the 1dx mark 2? (This is the only time it will work in your favor - in terms of defining your logic above)

Which is better in terms of SNR (same lens & different sensor size) - 80D or Original 5D?

See... now.... you don't need to share your answers.... and I'm sure you've reached your own conclusions... but just to make sure your conclusions are similar to mine, is it really sensor size or the technology built within the sensor as well as behind the sensor that effects SNR?

Now, I know you are biased, as am I... as everyone... especially if you have invested so much time and money in that company. In this case, I strongly believe, without a doubt, that no matter what I say.... you're only going believe in what you believe in... and if you believe in Canon, then thats that....

I'm only assuming that you do not have any stakes in either Pentax or Olympus... thus making you a third party, unbiased judge of their technology.

With that same reasoning, is it so hard to think that another company has better technology than Canon?

Lastly, read this:

After reading that, ask yourself this... sure... bigger sensor might be better (and I am really thinking about medium format and large format tbh)... but if you can't hack it with a smaller sensor, then may be its time for you to partake in another career/hobby?

Can you please tell me and/or list those less popular, and/or bread-and-butter lenses? It will save us a lot of time if you can.... then tell me the price of them.

So, if I see f/2.8 on a lens.... thats how much I would expect it to let in light.... wide open its going to be f/2.8. The barrel of the lens does not automatically change shape to let in more light for a Full-frame as opposed to mft????

Just a comment on your scientific inquiry method:
I think in is imprecise, speculative and misleading, because you are testing a hypothesis that:
"Technology (better SNR?) + smaller sensor size DOES surpass technology (weaker SNR?) + larger sensor size  in terms of light gathering capability."   

But your evidences are not clearly provided, you do not give any verifiable information, you do not have the data/chart to back up your claim and your reference is a mumble jumble from PetaPixels!
The flat-earth guys were doing very similar to Galileo Galilei and the scientists of their time.

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »
2) Just because no one is doing it does not mean no one SHOULD do it. This is against Canon’s conservative mentality, but it would be a great way to create a buzz around their video products again (at least, on the consumer / prosumer end).

What is the point of 'buzz' if not to generate sales? If they are selling to their own satisfaction, why bother with buzz? (Especially if it requires a greater outlay).

And to some others here: the previous versions clearly sold well, or else they wouldn't be putting out newer versions. *Canon knows how to make money* So they aren't selling to you, big whoop. They have cracked a market all the same.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

Just keep in mind that there are plenty of photography and broadcast video professionals that rank size and weight near the bottom of what's important.  Like NBC covering the 2018 Olympics with Canon gear and filling up those shelves with 200-400+1.4TC, 1DX2's and whatever model of camcorder that is they have that I'll never be able to afford.

Size does matter when shooting video, but not in the way most people think....

I loved those ENG video cameras that rested on the shoulder, a support back to your waist battery belt, and the eye piece off to the side. That was perfect ergonomics for shooting video. You could see the video and where you were walking/ standing, and it was very stable.  None of those tiny consumer models ever came close.
The best camera is the one in your hands

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »

Rhetorical questions:

Lastly, read this:

Just a comment on your scientific inquiry method:
I think in is imprecise, speculative and misleading, because you are testing a hypothesis that:
"Technology (better SNR?) + smaller sensor size DOES surpass technology (weaker SNR?) + larger sensor size  in terms of light gathering capability."   

But your evidences are not clearly provided, you do not give any verifiable information, you do not have the data/chart to back up your claim and your reference is a mumble jumble from PetaPixels!
The flat-earth guys were doing very similar to Galileo Galilei and the scientists of their time.

Scientific method????

Not that I do not know what that is... but when did I say that I was using a scientific method?

Do you know what "Rhetorical" means? Whether you know or don't know what that means (if you don't know, I'm sure you can google the meaning), but don't you think that because I'm using "Rhetorical" questions that this whole thing is purely subjective - no objective findings here, thus scientific method is not being used?

Just for the record, the above highlighted in red is completely inferred, I never actually said that in those words.

If I were to use scientific method, first I would deduce a hypothesis.
"Does a small sensor with newer and better technology have better Signal-to-noise ratio than a large sensor with old and outdated technology"

I would generate a bunch of pictures using the questions asked above (e.g. 1dx mark 2 vs 5DSR... 80D vs 5D) with a tool similar to https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Then I would create a survey that would ask 100 random people around my neighborhood (no one from this forum cause then its not random). Using the results, I will tally the results, perform statistical analysis so that I am within 5% error and then come to conclusions that appropriately fits the results (not the hypothesis).

I don't have time or money to undertake this venture, willing to provide a grant that will allow me to do this?

With that said, I'm only assuming that you agree with the hypothesis that "bigger lenses ==> bigger sensor ==> more light onto sensor ==> better SNR."

Obviously, you can keep "Bigger lenses" as constant, non-changing factor.... so where is your scientific proof that "bigger sensor ==> more light onto sensor ==> better SNR"?

Please use a 5D classic and compare it to the 80D.... please tell me how that supports that theory???

Bah...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »