May 23, 2018, 05:01:49 PM

Author Topic: CR's new unrelated advertising  (Read 7631 times)

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: CR's new unrelated advertising
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:42:02 PM »
Please, support sites by either donating or not whining about advertising.  For crying out loud.
So you would ask me or anyone to support the ads I posted?

You might try reading again what I wrote. Especially the part about whining.

Better yet instead of complaining, make some helpful suggestions regarding paying the bills to keep this site running.

Yeah, with all the people that view this site, it probably costs a lot. I blame all these people who stay logged in 24/7 (I'm sure I'm missing a few):
ethanz, Click, neuroanatomist, hmatthes, Canon Rumors, bholliman, kphoto99, sedwards, YuengLinger, slclick, ahsanford, sanj, Talys, Mt Spokane Photography, Jack Douglas, ajfotofilmagem, Valvebounce, rrcphoto
EOS 5D3, EOS M5 and no room left in the 1510.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:42:02 PM »

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »
OP. Please do not get me wrong. I would prefer an ad free website. But how will that be possible?

And my response to Nero was in agreement that the ads being generated according to our viewing history. Not that I like the ads.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:53 AM »
They are a way to help pay for the web site, and no matter where you go, those ads follow you. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
Logging on does not require significant computer power.  Doing searches, uploading images and videos, looking at topics with hundreds of pages of images, each of which must be rendered take significant CPU, but individually, its still not much.  When 10 thousand are using the site, it gets bogged down a little, the 1600 some logged in right now are not a issue.

hne

• EOS 80D
  • Gear limits your creativity
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 04:18:34 AM »
I keep getting adds for retirement homes, and I have never searched for them.....

Does Google know something that I don’t?

Yes. Both Google and Facebook extract significant information about you based on a combination of the data you voluntarily give them and information gathered from your internet habits. The easiest way for them to do this is to serve Like and +1 buttons all over the web. Then they can know which sites you frequent. They can also see from where you access these by doing geolocation on the IP used to retrieve those buttons. On top of that, both Facebook and Google record voice data from your smartphone unless you opt out. This is not expressly for purposes of targeting ads, but seeing how having a discussion on a topic you don't care about can make ads for that pop up next time you unlock your phone...

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if both Facebook and Google knew your full name, home and work address (I know google found that about me without me telling them), phone number, a few relatives and friends, main 5 interests, top 10 most likely favourite dishes, most common colour in your wardrobe, last 10 illnesses you've had and when, illnesses among your relatives and acquaintances (and could do pattern matching to figure out who has what from that), household income level, probability of you moving home in the coming 6 months, ...

All this without you telling them. Retirement homes ads? Not surprising a bit if they believe you're >60yo, your spouse is 55+, you've done searches for at least 3 age-related illnesses in the last 12 months and your probability of moving home in the coming 6 months exceeds 10%.

I get loads of generic ADs for how to get rich fast, unbelievable images from north korea and grow your own willie. But then again, I'm using a no-tracking extension called Ghostery that disables all like, share, +1 and similar buttons, as well as site statistics scripts, ad network tracking scripts and a boatload of other stupid things. And I've denied facebook microphone access on my phone and turned off voice search and voice history in my google prefs.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

AlanF

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the tip about Gostery - now installed.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »
I keep getting adds for retirement homes, and I have never searched for them.....

Does Google know something that I don’t?

Clearly not otherwise you would be getting adds for catteries ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
The MoneyWise issue has been resolved.

It costs thousands of dollars a month to host this site, plus the ongoing development costs. The new forum update that will be online soon will cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. Then the web site update will double that cost and it will never end. Web sites have to earn revenue. Sometimes a revenue stream turns out to be a bad one, but they are quickly removed, I don't like intrusive things on the site.

We've removed any sort of video ads, we've never had any popups or page takeovers, those are lucrative, but people hate them. Sometimes these things still slip through the ad networks, but that shouldn't be all that common.

With all of the copycat sites and on and on, revenue streams get smaller and we have to find new ways to bring money in.

There will be new revenue streams that are not intrusive that you'll see here over the next 6 months or so.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:59:26 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
I guess it was resolved before I tried, I only saw ads based on items I had searched for online. 

I mentioned my use of a cochlear implant in a post here yesterday, and today, there is a ad.  Its for a different brand than I have, and once you select a brand, you cannot practically change without $100,000 surgery, so the targeting is not perfect, or it would have listed accessories for my brand.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:40:27 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
Of all the sites I frequent the ads on this site don't annoy, this site is great whatever it takes to keep it going so be it. Thank you.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 04:48:07 PM »
Craig,

What is your take on the link kickback such as the type Bryan at TDP uses? Is that sort of thing available/viable here?  Also I know it might be a touchy subject and you wouldn't want to venture into Ken Rockwell territory but a 'Tip Jar' of sorts? I have a hunch myself and many others who find this site invaluable would like to contribute.

B
EOS 5D3, EOS M5 and no room left in the 1510.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 02:28:59 AM »
Craig,

What is your take on the link kickback such as the type Bryan at TDP uses? Is that sort of thing available/viable here?  Also I know it might be a touchy subject and you wouldn't want to venture into Ken Rockwell territory but a 'Tip Jar' of sorts? I have a hunch myself and many others who find this site invaluable would like to contribute.

B

I have some plans that are a little less forward and I think may add value.
canonrumors.com

Valvebounce

• Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
Hi Craig.
How about a fund raising drive similar to Wikipedia, once a year asking for just a few dollars to support our addiction to your site doesn’t seem out of line, :) purely voluntary in participation and amount, enabling people to donate an amount they feel is commensurate to the value they perceive the site offers.
I hate the begging adverts for charities that insist I donate just £3 a month!  >:(

Cheers, Graham.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
I buy a fair bit of stuff for work.... I seek it out on the web, get a quote, hand it off to purchasing, and then start seeing adds for it in my feed....

Targeting someone after they have bough is wasted adds... I find them amusing....
The best camera is the one in your hands

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
I don't mind ads generally, especially if that pays the bills. Targeted ads will sometimes provide useful information, such as making me aware of something new in which I might be interested. Where it doesn't work so well is when I keep getting ads for places I visited in recent months and probably won't go back to for a long time, if ever.

However, as recently as yesterday, I was getting ads that took over the browser on my iPad, and wouldn't let me get back to the board content. So I just closed the tab and waited until I was using the computer to read this board. I don't have the problem on my Mac.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »