February 25, 2018, 05:21:08 AM

Author Topic: What a Full Frame Canon Mirrorless Needs To Have To Be Successful  (Read 27913 times)

Chris Jankowski

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: What a Full Frame Canon Mirrorless Needs To Have To Be Successful
« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »
In response to BillB:

>>>>>If you want FF mirrorless lenses that protrudes deeper than the EF-S standard, maybe an EF compatible mount that prevents mounting on both EF and EF-S DSLR's would be useful.

In principle, it is simple to do a small cut out in the mount on an FF mirrorless and a matching key on a deeply protruding lens.  However, I believe that this was not done by Canon for EF-S lenses, so why should it be done now for the new lenses.  Moreover, one may wish to use the new lens on a DSLR with mirror lifted up and using Live View.  This will work, so why to prevent it?

I think that Canon has the right to expect some minimum intelligence from their customers.  I know it is a dangerous assumption (:-)).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:15:59 PM by Chris Jankowski »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Chris Jankowski

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
In response to BillB:

In addition, such a cut out and key solution will prevent use of the new lenses with anything that currently may go at the back of an EF lens - macro rings, adapters to the Canon M series, adapters for other mirrorless cameras such as Sony A7/A9, various microscope and telescope adapters, third party extenders, etc.

For all of these devices new versions would need to be issued or a lot of DYI work with a file or hacksaw will have to happen.

Canon has no business in making their lenses harder to use whichever way people want to use them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:17:00 PM by Chris Jankowski »

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2018, 05:16:41 AM »
Hi Chris.
First of all, every Canon camera of mine releases mirror lockup or live view as you start to remove the lens making it extremely risky to try deep lenses on FF bodies, and then there is the fact that lots of people don’t read manuals, so have no idea why the EF-S lenses don’t fit the FF bodies only that they tried and it won’t go!

Cheers, Graham.

Moreover, one may wish to use the new lens on a DSLR with mirror lifted up and using Live View.  This will work, so why to prevent it?

I think that Canon has the right to expect some minimum intelligence from their customers.  I know it is a dangerous assumption (:-)).
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Left this thread a while back to conserve time but ran across this article which made me smile.  Back to the future it is, I guess - Reflex cameras.

I found it interesting when he comments, "I don't like ..."   

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/using-optical-viewfinders-on-cameras-that-already-have-viewing?utm_medium=Email%201663751&utm_campaign=Content&utm_source=WeeklyContent%20180204&utm_content=Explora&utm_term=using-optical-viewfinders-on-cameras-that-already-have-viewing

Anyone using these here?

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
Hi Chris.
First of all, every Canon camera of mine releases mirror lockup or live view as you start to remove the lens making it extremely risky to try deep lenses on FF bodies, and then there is the fact that lots of people don’t read manuals, so have no idea why the EF-S lenses don’t fit the FF bodies only that they tried and it won’t go!

Cheers, Graham.

Moreover, one may wish to use the new lens on a DSLR with mirror lifted up and using Live View.  This will work, so why to prevent it?

agreed!

Now a FF mirrorless..... that's a different story!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Talys

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
agreed!

Now a FF mirrorless..... that's a different story!

I guess you guys are right, there's no reason I can think of NOT to use an auto-detect EFS mount on a full frame camera.  I cannot think of any downside. if you had a 50-ish megapixel FF camera that become a 30-ish megapixel APSC, that would be neat.

On the other hand, I also can't really think of any EFS lenses I'd want to mount onto a full frame camera, except maybe 17-135 (which would crop 1.6x that), as it is a very nice lens for video, with its very quiet and fast AF motor, that also allows for electronic W/T control.

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
Anyone Using Vintage Leica M Lenses want to use them FF?
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
I am almost all Canon EOS -- the rest Leica glass.  I'm testing a Canon M5 next week with my EF glass but am curious as to trying Leica M vintage lenses on the M5 -- don't have time to order an adapter...

Do you shoot your Canon mirrorless with Leica M glass?

Seems like a natural idea if you like the richness of 50 year old glass....

I'll buy the FF Canon mirrorless even if it is EF/EF-s only but if it is Canon M mount, I could change adapters from Canon EF to Leica M as required!

Just curious!

canon rumors FORUM

Anyone Using Vintage Leica M Lenses want to use them FF?
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »