June 23, 2018, 11:47:10 PM

Author Topic: The Canon EOS M50 Will Shoot 4K [CR3]  (Read 28030 times)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Re: The Canon EOS M50 Will Shoot 4K [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
I suspect we have seen the last of the enthusiast level Canons that do not have 4K. Whichever comes next, the 90D or the 7DIII will almost certainly offer 4K. And, then, forum dwellers can move on from "Canon is cheating me by not offering 4K" to "Canon is cheating me by not offering the same level of 4K that they offer in their Cinema EOS line."

Thank you, this is the path forward :)

Seriously, though, my position ALWAYS has been that if they put the guts of the 1DXII video features into a 5D-type body- let's call it a 5DC- took out the mirror and gave it an EVF and FF crop factor in 4K with a better codec, they could charge whatever they want for that and people would buy it. I'd easily pay 7-8K for something like that if it had very competitive video features, like 4K 60p and 1080 120p (leaving the stellar stills capability of course).

You're probably right.  For me, it's just a simple question of cost -- if there's no premium, sure, why not?  But since I will never use it, the only reason for it is a little bit of resale value, after 7-10 years.

I think it's absurd to compare Cinema EOS 4k features, because people who shoot on enthusiast cameras probably have a whole different process (and expectation) after the video is recorded.  But I think it's totally fair for reviewers to compare different ILCs that can record 4k video, and compare which ones are easier to use, given that most people will not have super-sophisticated software, the most powerful desktops that money can buy, or the desire to use either.

Some people don't realize that a CR3 Rumor usually happens just before a release when information becomes known to a larger group of people. 

There are people who actually know who leak information to CR, and when there different reliable known sources confirming the data, its virtually guaranteed.

If you have other information that is different, please send it to CR Guy, just claiming that Canon won't do it without any factual data is just a wish. 

Its very rare that a CR3 is not a firm fact, sometimes Canon pushes a announcement out into the future, but a CR3 is 98% at least correct.

The way to look at it is, how often has a CR3 been wrong in a material way?  I can't recall the last time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
@RRC Please elaborate and explain why it’s a myth.

it's a myth that Canon cares so much about it.

Canon has actually stated the reverse.  They view as their products as competing against each other.

Canon is bright enough to realize a cheap M6 styled 4K camera isn't going to compete against any other camera canon currently has, and if the user buys that so what? they stayed within the ecosystem.

Your statements contradict one another. They don't care about cannibalization but they care about their cameras competing against one another?

obviously you had trouble reading that.

They view all their products as competing with one another because no matter what because a customer is always going to make a choice of one product over another.

That really wasn't hard was it?

rrcphoto

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
XC15:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278108-REG/canon_1456c002_xc15_4k_professional_camcorder.html

the XC15 actually is a broadcast compliant camera and matches with the C300 codec.  it's actually one of the cheapest cameras that is broadcast certified.

Don't expect that on a M6 video camera.  we'd be lucky to get a 100mb 4k or even MJPEG.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:45:34 PM by rrcphoto »

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
I mean given that NAB 2018 is coming it would be smarter to put C-log in the 1dx mark 2, but you don't see that happening. They put in C-log in the 5D mark IV but neglect it in the 1dx mark 2... That's pretty illogical to me and Im sure most here, but Im sure it has something to do with appealing to the masses while at the same time not hurting the sales of their other products.

My guess is that Canon's ideology is this: if you want BOTH of the following two features, then you need to buy the Cinema EOS:
4K 60p
C-LOG

Giving C-LOG to the 5D mark IV does not make it equal Cinema EOS in certain specs. However, giving C-LOG to the 1D mark II would.
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
Slowly but surely the discussion on this forum if 4k is necessary or not will end. Good good.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »
A welcome surprise, but what interests me more is if they have gone to the UHS-2 SD cards yet
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »
It will be interesting to compare high bitrate 2K to low bitrate 4K......
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »

sanj

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 06:16:25 PM »
Great.  Hopefully, some people will shut up now.   ;D

True that.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
Great.  Hopefully, some people will shut up now.   ;D

True that.

Unlikely.  Whiners gonna whine.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

hachu21

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
wow. now there's alot of questions.  why did they hide the sensor from view? it sounds to me like it's a super-35 and most likely 9mp such as their cini cameras.

otherwise, why hide the sensor?
I'd say this is getting new sensor technology as well as a new processor.  Canon's APS-C sensors have not been capable of 4K, so something has changed.  Of course, any camera can be made to do 4K, but to do it right is another matter.
Agreed to both. All that could explain the M50 moniker : first 4k, but lower range for stills (9mp), diffrent sensor tech compared to the classic 24mp and possibly a DV chip instead of Digic 7 (IMHO, a single digic 7 cannot handle 4k 60P footage).

We'll see!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:52:42 PM by hachu21 »

transpo1

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 06:27:48 PM »
I'd say this is getting new sensor technology as well as a new processor.  Canon's APS-C sensors have not been capable of 4K, so something has changed.  Of course, any camera can be made to do 4K, but to do it right is another matter.

This is exciting- looking forward to seeing what this is. Multi-aspect sensor maybe like the GH5s but APS-C size of course?

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on the tech they might put into a sensor in a lower-tier camera like this.

sanj

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
wow. now there's alot of questions.  why did they hide the sensor from view? it sounds to me like it's a super-35 and most likely 9mp such as their cini cameras.

Agreed to both. All that could explain the M50 moniker : first 4k, but lower range for stills (9mp), diffrent sensor tech compared to the classic 24mp and possibly a DV chip instead of Digic 7 (IMHO, a single digic 7 cannot handle 4k 60P footage).

We'll see!

Who told you that?!?

rrcphoto

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

We'll see!

I'm wondering the exact same thing. they nerfed the bitrates down from the XC15 down to a single DIGIC DV and reduced heat envelope and slapped in a super-35 sensor.  to get around cropping issues, they simply put in a low resolution sensor from one of their other camera lines and called things good.

it would be close enough really that probably all the EF-M lenses would work okay.

highly speculative but shoving a 24MP aps-c sensor and getting it to do good 4k would be most likely problematic for Canon. it would have around a 1.3 to 1.4 crop unless they upped their game dramatically.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:05:38 PM by rrcphoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
My guess is that the sensor will not be anything exclusive or special. It could be a new sensor, but it would be recycled through a few other cameras that are coming in the future (like the 90D)

I doubt they would do a native 4K resolution sensor like the Cinema EOS.
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

rrcphoto

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
My guess is that the sensor will not be anything exclusive or special. It could be a new sensor, but it would be recycled through a few other cameras that are coming in the future (like the 90D)

I doubt they would do a native 4K resolution sensor like the Cinema EOS.

I don't know. it makes no sense to be side by side the M6 so soon.  the silhouette we are going by was the M6, not the M5. if it was a fill rez 4k stills and video why not just replace the m5 which is due for an upgrade?

who knows, but there will sure be alot of speculation until the darn thing is out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »