June 19, 2018, 03:29:15 AM

Author Topic: CR's new unrelated advertising  (Read 8780 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Re: CR's new unrelated advertising
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »
Get rid of targeted ads by clearing the cache of cookies in your browser.  Google reads them in order to decide which ads to show you.  You will still get ads, they may be random.

I've been seeing ads for glasses lately, after I accidentally stepping on a pair and looked online at replacements.  Fortunately, there was no real damage done, so I'm not ready to buy my next pair yet, but ads for glasses are not annoying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »

However, as recently as yesterday, I was getting ads that took over the browser on my iPad, and wouldn't let me get back to the board content. So I just closed the tab and waited until I was using the computer to read this board. I don't have the problem on my Mac.

I get that on my iphone too. Almost like the web server has some malware or something.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »

However, as recently as yesterday, I was getting ads that took over the browser on my iPad, and wouldn't let me get back to the board content. So I just closed the tab and waited until I was using the computer to read this board. I don't have the problem on my Mac.

I get that on my iphone too. Almost like the web server has some malware or something.

There's no issue with CR or malware on the server, this is a problem with ad networks and seems to affect iOS/Safari far more than any other OS/Browser combination. Though Android/Chrome aren't immune.

I have seen similar things on Yahoo.com, CNN.com and other big sites.

Ad networks are working on this and hopefully it'll become a thing of the past soon.
canonrumors.com

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

There's no issue with CR or malware on the server, this is a problem with ad networks and seems to affect iOS/Safari far more than any other OS/Browser combination. Though Android/Chrome aren't immune.

Ad networks are working on this and hopefully it'll become a thing of the past soon.

Ok thanks. As a bandaid, I just start loading a page on my phone and hit stop loading when it gets to a point I can read what I need to. That stops it from loading the ads and redirecting the site.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »

Ok thanks. As a bandaid, I just start loading a page on my phone and hit stop loading when it gets to a point I can read what I need to. That stops it from loading the ads and redirecting the site.

Interesting idea.

I wish this nonsense wasn't going on.

Do you come to the site directly, or through social media?
canonrumors.com

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »

Interesting idea.

I wish this nonsense wasn't going on.

Do you come to the site directly, or through social media?

Directly. You are a bookmark in my iphone on safari. If I'm away from my computer for too long I start feeling the need to catch up on anything new here ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »