May 24, 2018, 04:36:10 AM

Author Topic: Just how important is IS?  (Read 9482 times)

archangelrichard

Re: Just how important is IS?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
Wellllllll ....

For many years people did without IS and did just great

However it can improve your low light performance (let you shoot at a lower ISO setting in the same situation) as well as your long length (telephoto) (movements are more exaggerated at longer lengths)

Notice I said "can" and not "will"?

If you normally shoot on a tripod, it won't help at all

If you normally shoot moving subjects (panning) it will hurt - it will fight the panning!

If you normally shoot at high shutter speeds to stop action - it won't help

This question has no simple answer; it depends on what and how you shoot as to whether it can help (but note: it almost always helps those who are, shall we say "underexperienced"in that particular type of shooting) so take these answers with a grain of salt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »

ejenner

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »

you are shooting with a high shutter speed over 1/500 or so. there was alot of discussion on this recently that at high shutter speeds IS can actually cause more probles than it helps

This is a good point.  I've not seen that discussion or others, but I 'discovered' that it is better to switch off IS when using fast shutter speeds.  usually when I'm consistently above 2*FL I switch it off.

But yes, I am an IS fan.  Fortunately I could afford the IS version and I'm glad I paid the extra for it.  Of course it's a very individual thing, but in general I will pay $500-800 more for an IS lens, even if it doubles the price.

dr croubie

• EOS 5DS R
  • Too many photos, too little time.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »
IS is a disease, a drug, and i'll admit, i'm hooked. Even with my many manual-focus and >30 year old lenses, I always find myself pressing the shutter-button down halfway to start the IS system when i'm framing, and then cursing myself when I realise that the lens doesn't have IS...

But on the lenses I do have IS with, the 15-85 and 70-300L, I love it. I've handheld my 70-300L @ 300mm for 1/10s shots that turned out great. Yes, it was a stationary target (butterfly on a leaf at night), and not every target will be, especially as i mostly shoot birds with my 70-300L. But it's invaluable in framing, for me at least. I've got a nice tripod now, but I don't use it for birds anyway.

Seeing as you can only afford the 70-200 f/4 L non-IS now, I say just go ahead and get it. If/when you want to upgrade, you won't lose much money on it, may even make a profit. It's choosing between the 70-200 f/4 L IS and the 70-200 f/2.8 L non-IS that's the hard one especially as they're both abbout the same price. But after a few months/years on the f/4 non-IS you should have a bit more of an idea which way to go, faster or IS.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
For medium range telephoto lenses (300 or 400mm), IS can be considered as letting you handhold a lens where, in the old days, either extreme shutter speeds or a tripod was needed.  I recently bought a used Tokina 400mm f/5.6 non IS lens.  It was winter, and when handheld, I could not get fast enough shutter speeds to get as sharp of a image as the lens was capable of.  Thats trying all the tricks to hold it very still.  On a tripod, it was very sharp, particularly for the $125 price.

You will be able to handhold a f/4 lens in reasonable light.

close to 1:1 crop - 1D MK III with Tokina 400mm f/5.6(520mm equiv) on tripod @1/100 sec, f/5.6 ISO 400

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:46:13 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

JoeBoe19

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
IS on long lenses is amazing.  On short ones - ehh...

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
for me. very. I can't belive canon sells a 2K+ 24-70 without IS. that's just ridiculous. Even the 70-200 has IS and they are just a few hundred bucks appart.

canon blew it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »