June 20, 2018, 04:02:04 AM

Author Topic: Do you need more than 2MP? Why?  (Read 4224 times)

H. Jones

• EOS M5
  • Photojournalist
Re: Do you need more than 2MP? Why?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »
Every single image that gets filed to the newspaper I work with is two megapixels, whether it's a full two-page color spread, a front A1 or a tiny page 6 BW blob. I could totally get my job done with 2MP and be happy with it.

The thing I appreciate on the 1DX2 however is the ability to crop and still end up with something that can be downsized to 2MP. Plus, outside of work, I do make 36 inch prints for myself, which obviously look much better at 20MP than 2.
Bodies: 1DX mark II, 5d Mark III
Lenses: 16-35mm F/4L IS |  24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II  | 50mm 1.8 STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »

bhf3737

• EOS M5
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
The video was rather meaningless. The host has made a mistake between "requirements" and an actual "use-case".  The use-case says you may not need more than 2MP for a billboard, but the requirements may indicate that you should capture a scene with maximum resolution possible because by doing so, later you can resize, down-scale, re-sample, color correct, re-frame, etc., to match the needs. It does not work the other way round. 

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
... you should capture a scene with maximum resolution possible because by doing so, later you can resize, down-scale, re-sample, color correct, re-frame, etc., to match the needs. It does not work the other way round.

That's right. Capture something at 2 MPs than upscale it to 10 MPs and take a look at the same photo captured at 20 MPs and downscaled to 10 MPs. There will be a huge difference.

To view on a full HD monitor/TV we need a 3840 x 2560 image (original image 3:2 aspect ratio, then we crop to 16:9), then downscale to 50% for super sharpness. So... roughly 9.8 megapixels for a perfect full hd viewing experience. For a pixel peeping perfect image on a 16:9 UHD 4K screen, we need to start off with 7680 x 5120 = around 39 megapixels.

That's also right. A photo captured at 20+ MPs will look much better on a 4K UHD TV than a 2 MP one.

But to answer the original question: yes, I need more than 2MP. Why? Because I'd like to have great macro shots of insects. There's very few good macros are available on the net since many take a shot of a beetle with a 18+ MP camera and calls it macro but the beetle itself can fit in a 2MP or smaller area. And many times the insects are captured from the same point of view you can see them without a camera: only a few photographers get down to their level.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
I have a fujifilm digital camera from 1998.  I can sell it for a bargain price to anyone who wants 1.5 MP ;)

Do you recall what you paid for it back then and what memory prices were like?

Back in 2001 my family had a Sony Mavica camera MVC-CD300, it was 3.3MP and recorded to mini CDs. So the memory was fairly cheap. The camera itself was $1,000 though.

I have one of the older Mavica's out in my studio.  It was a earlier generation and used 3.5 floppies to record images.  The camera was one of the greatest hoaxes of its time, a high price, lots of advertising, and really poor image quality.  The images were drastically compressed to fit the tiny space available and were just plain ugly.  Photographers panned it, but the masses snatched them up because it was a Sony.  Those FDD's mostly died before 2 years were up, it cost well over $300 to service.  I bought mine for a buck used, it wasn't worth that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »