June 23, 2018, 10:30:22 AM

Author Topic: ARE Canon heading down the same track as Kodak  (Read 15092 times)

lb

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
ARE Canon heading down the same track as Kodak
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Some times I just wonder is it possible that Canon are heading the same was a Kodak, on top and in control but only to fall by the wayside because of the lack of new ideas, I remember all that Kodak achieved and took a wrong turn, Canon seems to be following same path as of late with no interesting new ideas, even the Firmware upgrades are in most cases with just obvious error removals that should not have been their in the first instance, when will the oily spatters be eliminated from our top of the Canon range DSLR etc.

canon rumors FORUM

ARE Canon heading down the same track as Kodak
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: ARE Canon heading down the same track as Kodak
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
YAPODFC.  ::)

Film to digital = paradigm shift

ILC with mirror to ILC without mirror = different flavor of same product
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Orangutan

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:06 PM »
Some times I just wonder is it possible that Canon are heading the same was a Kodak,

No.  Next question.

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »
Humans are heading down the same track as Kodak, so, in a sense, yes.

Otherwise, I agree with Orangutan.  And I think the OP has posted here the same stuff under various names.  Just a suspicion, though.  Otoh, maybe there are more folks who enjoy spending their time posting nonsense in an apparent effort to a) antagonize for the fun of it, and/or b) make a few pennies a post on a troll farm.  (Sorry, I'm letting current events confuse me.)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:25:53 PM by YuengLinger »

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
If Canon were really hurting, they would cram more stuff into their DSLRs like Nikon did to avoid bankruptcy with the D850... it was their 'this had better be good or we go bankrupt' camera. Even though Canon make their own sensors, if push comes to shove, they can also get someone else to manufacture them, just like Nikon did.

So far, all I see is Canon doing quite well.... so much so that they comfortably gimp and cripple many features on various products to protect other more expensive products.... and these cameras still sell well because they get the most important things right.

I feel that many people are not frustrated by the fact that Canon gimps certain products to protect others... they understand this is good business practice. The frustrating thing is just how much gimping is taking place, and a feeling that this has gone several steps too far. That the final product has been uncontrollably hit with the nerf bat with nobody saying 'stop, that's enough!... it's worse than the 5 year old camera it is replacing!'
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
...folks who enjoy spending their time posting nonsense in an apparent effort to a) antagonize for the fun of it...

"a" is the correct answer.

And, by the way, this one isn't particularly good at it. He/she is just copying and pasting inane comments that have been floated and proven wrong hundreds of times before.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:36 AM »
Some times I just wonder is it possible that Canon are heading the same was a Kodak, on top and in control but only to fall by the wayside because of the lack of new ideas, I remember all that Kodak achieved and took a wrong turn, Canon seems to be following same path as of late with no interesting new ideas, even the Firmware upgrades are in most cases with just obvious error removals that should not have been their in the first instance, when will the oily spatters be eliminated from our top of the Canon range DSLR etc.

Sometimes I think Nikon shooters come through here just to project. To quote David Allen Coe, "Well I was drunk, the day my maw got out of prison. And I went to pick her up in the rain. But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck, she got runned over by a damned ol' train!"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:01:22 AM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:36 AM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:06 AM »
Humans are heading down the same track as Kodak, so, in a sense, yes.

Pfft.  You must have missed the future-documentary episode of Babylon 5, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" :)

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:59:20 AM »
Every time I read about someone saying that Canon's "apparent lack of progress" is going to be detrimental to them, I can only think about how people are going to perceive the industry we live in today after another 20 years have gone by.

Is everything we have today going to be totally irrelevant in the coming years? Or have we very nearly maximized the potential of the best photographic technologies that will ever exist?

Modern refrigerators work well enough, but they're no better than a fridge from 30 years ago (and often worse). There is a peak in the potential design of any given technology, and it's not unimaginable to think that we aren't very far from hitting that point in camera sensors (as long as all the crazy patents we keep hearing about keep being just crazy patents).

If Canon is looking at the long term potential of the industry and saying "we have three major sensor design improvements left to implement before there is nothing more that can be done", the wise business decision is to stretch those out as long as possible.
The A7RIII may very well be the best camera that Sony will ever produce, and if it is that means everyone who buys one is getting their money's worth, but it also means as soon as everyone who wants a high tech mirrorless body has the A7RIII, Sony will have completely saturated their market potential.

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »

Well, first of all you don't know anything about Kodak, apparently, as they were the leading seller of digital cameras in the US as late as 2005.  They also made the first DSLRs for Canon.  What Kodak did was make film (a market that almost totally disappeared), photo paper for virtually all the film photo processing (a market that almost totally disappeared) and disposable film cameras (a market that almost totally disappeared).

So what market is going to almost disappear that will send Canon down the same path?  Digital cameras? 

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

Modern refrigerators work well enough, but they're no better than a fridge from 30 years ago (and often worse).

"The average refrigerator manufactured in 1981 consumed 1,278 kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy per year and those manufactured in 2013 consumed only 444 kWh of energy per year..."

http://www.aei.org/publication/home-appliances-good-old-days-now-theyre-cheaper-better-energy-efficient-ever/

http://aceee.org/blog/2014/09/how-your-refrigerator-has-kept-its-co
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »

Well, first of all you don't know anything about Kodak, apparently, as they were the leading seller of digital cameras in the US as late as 2005.  They also made the first DSLRs for Canon.  What Kodak did was make film (a market that almost totally disappeared), photo paper for virtually all the film photo processing (a market that almost totally disappeared) and disposable film cameras (a market that almost totally disappeared).

So what market is going to almost disappear that will send Canon down the same path?  Digital cameras?

Kodak made DSLR's for Canon?  Which ones?  They did sell sensors to almost everyone.  I owned a Kodak DSLR, but they only made the digital back, not the camera.

Here is a photo of mine, it doesn't really look like a Canon, but they later made one model compatible with canon lenses.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

Modern refrigerators work well enough, but they're no better than a fridge from 30 years ago (and often worse).

"The average refrigerator manufactured in 1981 consumed 1,278 kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy per year and those manufactured in 2013 consumed only 444 kWh of energy per year..."

http://www.aei.org/publication/home-appliances-good-old-days-now-theyre-cheaper-better-energy-efficient-ever/

http://aceee.org/blog/2014/09/how-your-refrigerator-has-kept-its-co

Maybe laundry machines would have been a better example.

Either way my point stands, if we see significant changes in technology everything on market now will be obsolete, or Canon will eventually catch up with the best existing tech.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

bhf3737

• EOS M5
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
We have heard this several hundred times. And let me help you: there has been several posts comparing Canon with Kodak, RIM and Nokia and all have tried to sell the canon is doomed idea. You are assuming Canon has the "lack of new ideas" but there is no fresh and new idea in your question either. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
Actually, Canon was early to turn out serious DSLR's, they managed the change of paradigm quite well.  Right now, they are diversifying into medical imaging, surveillance imaging, and are actively looking for additional business in the imaging area where there are big bucks.   

I believe that Canon sees the shrinking photography market as a real threat, and is moving to make sure that in the event conventional cameras go away that the company will be in good shape.

Of the 4,080 billion Yen income, only 1133 came from imaging systems in 2017 (Preliminary)  thats about 28 percent. 

Canon is making lots of money, and most of it does not come from cameras and lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »