June 19, 2018, 03:28:45 AM

Author Topic: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications  (Read 35912 times)

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
C-RAW ? Sure hope we are talking LOSSLESS compression ... otherwise ... NOT interested.

other than that: Canon-ugly again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
CR3 RAW format is the single most fascinating thing about this camera.

I agree.

CR2 has been slowly evolving with minor changes forever.... To go to a new format must mean a big change, and the two things that come to mind is that it must be either be related to dual pixel technology, or it means that the RAW files have gone from 14 to 16 bit..... or possibly both!

If it is for 16 bits, then it would imply a significant jump in DR...... possibly through different gains on each half of a dual-pixel site....

most interesting, most interesting indeed!
The best camera is the one in your hands

syyeung1

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
Was going to get the GX85 due to the small size (especially tele).  Will now at least put the decision on hold until this is released.  If the M50 is not seriously crippled, this would be the camera to fully register Canon as a serious mirrorless player.

roxics

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
Would be interested to know the 4K specs on this camera.
Is it shooting H.264 and if so at what bitrate or is it going the mjpeg route like all of Canon's still cameras have done so far?
Is it using the full sensor width or a crop?
Mic and headphone jack or just mic jack?
Does this thing have a flip and twist screen on the back?

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »
If it has some manual focus helpers via the EVF a really interesting option to use my FD lenses and the 2.8 35 macro lens for the Canon bellows.
4k is not too interesting for me but if 30 fps 4k video with DIGIC 8 leads to a 120 fps mode for 2k and 240 fps mode for 1.3 k a really interesting camera (just dreaming).

AvTvM: Your remark about uglyness: If the goodies inside the camera deliver and it is at least ergonomically usable I will consider using it. And if noone is interested in stealing an ugly camera, uglyness is welcome.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + EF 100mm Macro + EF f/2.0 100  + 4.0 / 70-200 IS

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
Is it shooting H.264 and if so at what bitrate or is it going the mjpeg route like all of Canon's still cameras have done so far?

It's a hobbyist body and also has a brand new processor so I really hope MJPEG is out of the question.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.  I'll stay tuned to see how it's inferior to M5.  So far it just looks all around better than M5.  Maybe lower resolution LCD panel like the one on an M6, to keep the price down?

The Digic 8 with a rate of about 240Mpixel/sec  (24.1 X 10)  brings the same rate of a Dual Digic 6. See 5Dsr with Dual Digic 6 having a rate of 50.1mp X 5fps ~ 250Mpixel/sec.

Encouraging for the processing speed of future cameras that may even have a Digic 8+, Dual Digic 8 or Dual Digic 8+

Since this is the only camera with it, though, we don't know what the ceiling for Digic 8 is.  For all we know, it could be 340 megapixels per second, and Canon has just capped it, or with a better heat management system it could go higher, or whatever :)

other than that: Canon-ugly again.

Looks nice to me.  Then again, I'm partial to Canon's physical designs.  But who buys a camera because it looks beautiful on the shelf?!

The important thing is, how does it hold and do all of the controls feel natural.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:07:12 PM by Talys »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
CR3 RAW format is the single most fascinating thing about this camera.
CR2 has been slowly evolving with minor changes forever.... To go to a new format must mean a big change, and the two things that come to mind is that it must be either be related to dual pixel technology, or it means that the RAW files have gone from 14 to 16 bit..... or possibly both!

If it is for 16 bits, then it would imply a significant jump in DR...... possibly through different gains on each half of a dual-pixel site....

Anybody remember whether the CRW->CR2 version bump brought any user-visible changes? From what I know about the CR2 file format, it's a TIFF-like container format that can already easily store several different datasets, in various formats, eg. the 5D4 DPRAWs are just vanilla CR2 files but with an extra data record in the internal "directory". Bumping the bit depth to 16 bits shouldn't be a problem either. So I wonder.

H. Jones

• EOS M5
  • Photojournalist
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

Looking at the M50, M5, and SL2, I would say this definitely appears to have a flip and twist on the back, in comparison to the kind of screen the M5 had.
Bodies: 1DX mark II, 5d Mark III
Lenses: 16-35mm F/4L IS |  24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II  | 50mm 1.8 STM

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.  I'll stay tuned to see how it's inferior to M5.  So far it just looks all around better than M5.  Maybe lower resolution LCD panel like the one on an M6, to keep the price down?

Ergonomics and build quality, most probably, like I predicted a while ago. From the photo it's already apparent that not only one but TWO dials are missing from the top. I believe C modes are also gone. Even if some spec sheet numbers are improved compared to the M5, that's just due to newer tech and bodes well for the eventual successor of the M5.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »

Looking at the M50, M5, and SL2, I would say this definitely appears to have a flip and twist on the back, in comparison to the kind of screen the M5 had.

After the M5  vlogger screen derision I can’t see any way a video centric M won’t have a full swivel screen.

Indeed if this has 4K it will become the #1 vlogging camera overnight. DPAF, 4K and a full swivel screen with Canon ergonomics, colors, and menus in a compact package with an APS sensor and full Canon lens integration. Probably the best selling MILC so far.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
Looks like a fine camera, but personally I don't care about 4K video or slightly enhanced servo stills shooting speed. Smaller RAW is nice, I guess, but mostly I shoot JPEG anyway. Not sure why the size of a raw file has any logical relation to the size of the camera?

So not sure why I would update from my M5. Wish it was weather resistant.

And where are the decent EF-M prime lenses (buzz buzz)? IMHO that's what the system really needs, and has needed for quite a while now.

This isn't above the EOS M5, it'll be priced around the current EOS M6 prices I think.

A new prime is coming in September for Photokina.

If this spec'd camera is around $800, I think this is a promising sign going forward for Canon. Really interested to see how much of a change .CR3 and C-RAW is.

I wonder if the CR3 format is to bring out the data from both sides of the dual-pixel design?

That’s what hit me too.  Maybe it’s 16 bit :)

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
Was going to get the GX85 due to the small size (especially tele).  Will now at least put the decision on hold until this is released.  If the M50 is not seriously crippled, this would be the camera to fully register Canon as a serious mirrorless player.

I think a few more serious lenses are required before that description could be applied to Canon's mirrorless efforts. The rumoured fast EF-M 35mm is a good start, but a fast 15mm, 55mm and a longer macro lens would be what I'd consider the minimum to even approach a comprehensive lineup of primes (i.e. one that doesn't look weak alongside the efforts of m4/3rds and Fuji-X). An f/2.8 zoom trinity would also round off a 'serious' offering. Not that I think that Canon will actually make all this, after all they never did for EF-S.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »

H. Jones

• EOS M5
  • Photojournalist
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

An f/2.8 zoom trinity would also round off a 'serious' offering. Not that I think that Canon will actually make all this, after all they never did for EF-S.

To be fair, Canon could always make an EF-M version of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS if they wanted to and immediately satisfy that entire crowd, though the size would definitely be somewhat problematic for M series.

That said, it never felt like Canon felt all that positively about the 17-55 f/2.8 when they could be selling crop-users the 24-70mm f/2.8L II or 16-35mm f/2.8L III. Maybe in the EF-M case it makes sense, as an adapter only makes the already large lenses larger.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:33:28 PM by H. Jones »
Bodies: 1DX mark II, 5d Mark III
Lenses: 16-35mm F/4L IS |  24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II  | 50mm 1.8 STM

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
Why not just the M5 mk II?

Perhaps it is.  A new numbering scheme to correspond to the other lines, leaving the single digit M for a future FF M model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »