June 23, 2018, 11:49:31 PM

Author Topic: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications  (Read 36302 times)

Canoneer

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
CR3 RAW format is the single most fascinating thing about this camera.

I agree.

CR2 has been slowly evolving with minor changes forever.... To go to a new format must mean a big change, and the two things that come to mind is that it must be either be related to dual pixel technology, or it means that the RAW files have gone from 14 to 16 bit..... or possibly both!

If it is for 16 bits, then it would imply a significant jump in DR...... possibly through different gains on each half of a dual-pixel site....

most interesting, most interesting indeed!

I hope it's 16-bit RAW. Canon have been lagging for years in DR compared to Sony and Nikon, and it's hard to imagine that their engineers simply couldn't come up with any solution - after all, they routinely rank #1 year after year in patent filing. The more reasonable answer is that they've had thoroughly tested and improved DR sensor tech for a while and just wanted to wait to integrate it with DPAF sensor architecture.

A universal 16 bit RAW format for APS-C and full-frame cameras will be a serious leg up on the competition. If it's true, that means the guys at Canon must have figured out a way to practically eliminate read noise and dark current. The small full well capacity for a 24MP APS-C photodiode means that the SNR needs to be ridiculously high to discern 16 bits of detail.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
Was going to get the GX85 due to the small size (especially tele).  Will now at least put the decision on hold until this is released.  If the M50 is not seriously crippled, this would be the camera to fully register Canon as a serious mirrorless player.

I think a few more serious lenses are required before that description could be applied to Canon's mirrorless efforts. The rumoured fast EF-M 35mm is a good start, but a fast 15mm, 55mm and a longer macro lens would be what I'd consider the minimum to even approach a comprehensive lineup of primes (i.e. one that doesn't look weak alongside the efforts of m4/3rds and Fuji-X). An f/2.8 zoom trinity would also round off a 'serious' offering. Not that I think that Canon will actually make all this, after all they never did for EF-S.

They're already #2 globally in MILCs, that seems pretty 'serious'.  But I guess most people define 'serious player' as 'makes the stuff I personally want'. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »
Why not just the M5 mk II?

Perhaps it is.  A new numbering scheme to correspond to the other lines, leaving the single digit M for a future FF M model.

It's not, this is below the M5.
canonrumors.com

MayaTlab

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »

I agree.

CR2 has been slowly evolving with minor changes forever.... To go to a new format must mean a big change, and the two things that come to mind is that it must be either be related to dual pixel technology, or it means that the RAW files have gone from 14 to 16 bit..... or possibly both!

If it is for 16 bits, then it would imply a significant jump in DR...... possibly through different gains on each half of a dual-pixel site....

I hope it's 16-bit RAW. Canon have been lagging for years in DR compared to Sony and Nikon, and it's hard to imagine that their engineers simply couldn't come up with any solution - after all, they routinely rank #1 year after year in patent filing. The more reasonable answer is that they've had thoroughly tested and improved DR sensor tech for a while and just wanted to wait to integrate it with DPAF sensor architecture.

A universal 16 bit RAW format for APS-C and full-frame cameras will be a serious leg up on the competition. If it's true, that means the guys at Canon must have figured out a way to practically eliminate read noise and dark current. The small full well capacity for a 24MP APS-C photodiode means that the SNR needs to be ridiculously high to discern 16 bits of detail.

Canon provided for years 14 bit files despite their sensors's DR being too limited to make it relevant until recently, so 16 bit files wouldn't be a good indication that DR has been increased.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »

I agree.

I hope it's 16-bit RAW.

bit depth is stored in the CR2 and CR2 files handled 12 and 14 bit depth files already. it's highly unlikely they needed CR3 for 16 bit.

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

Canon is probably using this camera to beta test the DIGIC 8 and the CR3 file format... hence it is crippled to perform below the M5 / M6 cameras.

rrcphoto

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

I agree.

C-RAW is probably lossy compressed raw. what is interesting of it is that it may already have DLO applied in camera to the RAW file versus JPEG as it now is.

that means you get all the godly improvements of DLO written to the RAW file before using it in lightroom,etc - which would be a great improvement.

that makes every EF-M lens able to write out a RAW file that is "L" grade lens in terms of aberrations.  This would be a serious boon to canon raw files.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:34:28 PM by rrcphoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

rrcphoto

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »

Canon is probably using this camera to beta test the DIGIC 8 and the CR3 file format...

sure because canon would absolutely need to beta test this out in the actual field by selling it to people.
 ::)

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »

I agree.

Then the question is, will it be a firmware update for the 1dx2?  :D
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »

Canon is probably using this camera to beta test the DIGIC 8 and the CR3 file format...

sure because canon would absolutely need to beta test this out in the actual field by selling it to people.

Maybe they're just trying to innovate, like Sony.  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

rrcphoto

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »

Maybe they're just trying to innovate, like Sony.  :P

bahahaha

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
The Digic 8 with a rate of about 240Mpixel/sec  (24.1 X 10)  brings the same rate of a Dual Digic 6. See 5Dsr with Dual Digic 6 having a rate of 50.1mp X 5fps ~ 250Mpixel/sec.

It warms my heart that Canon is offering a sub-$1000 crop rig with more stills throughput than a 5D4.  Surely this new one will get spot metering at the linked AF point as well.   :P

I appreciate the march of progress over time will see lower trimline rigs surpass the specs of the premium models (M50 > M5, M6 right here as a good example), but Canon's inane 30 x 7 decision with the 5D4 will continue to be a head-scratcher for a very long time. 

But I'm OT.  Apologies. 

- A

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »

Canon is probably using this camera to beta test the DIGIC 8 and the CR3 file format... hence it is crippled to perform below the M5 / M6 cameras.
They put in new sensor tech and processors in rebels and xxd series cameras before.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »

swblackwood

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
This sounds like a relatively big move on Canon's part. The Digic7 processor made its debut in the G7x ii and the M5 at the the tail end of 2016 going into 2017. The 5d iv was still Digic6! the life of Digic7 has been very short.

The quick advent of Digic8 may make it finally possible for Canon bodies to shoot 4K efficiently. Also the new CR3 format may herald better DR in stills. Of course, all of this is naked speculation on my part!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:17:46 PM by swblackwood »

transpo1

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
The first image and specifications for the Canon EOS M50 have leaked out.

it will be interesting to see the rest of the images, specifically of the back side and top.

it appears that canon has adjusted the ergonomics for this to be a video -> stills versus a stills-> video bolt on if you note the location of the record button.

with what appears to be lower level ergonomics this sits kind of under an M6 in terms of ergonomic functionality however with an included EVF and variable angle display for video.

of course the big news is possibly DIGIC 8 bringing hopefully efficient 4k video to Canon ILC's.  it has to be more efficient than the 5D Mark IV etc simply because it's SD card.

My guess is that they released this to get the EF-M line up to include 4k after Fuji seems to be doing great things in that market, and more than one whisper said that Canon / Nikon are more worried about Fuji than Sony.

Why it's not the M5 Mark II? probably because it' *only* has really minor updates from the M5 outside of video and CR3 format, and no new sensor generation.

If a new sensor generation is coming out this year, it makes sense to hold off the M5 update, IMO.

Yup- including 4K is a must now, as some people have been saying for a LONG time ;)

Although the video quality of the X-H1 looks questionable to me at least in pre-production models, Fuji are moving in the right direction in the marketplace.

If the 4K quality on this camera is good, it will be very tempting for those thinking about switching to Fuji.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »