April 24, 2018, 01:41:16 AM

Author Topic: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications  (Read 28119 times)

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:24 AM »
Seems that the M5 only point of difference would only have the ability to touch and drag AF.

As has been said repeatedly, it's clear that there are major ergonomic differences. The M50 is missing at least two dials and probably C modes, just like x00D bodies compared to x0D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:24 AM »

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:25 AM »

Whoa, 16-bit stills will be first rolled out to out to a mid-level crop camera?  Isn't this a heretofore only available in medium format sort of spec?

If so, why on earth would Canon first launch this in the middle of the crop portfolio?  If/when this ever happens at Canon, it would be an exclusive 1-series level feature (perhaps a rebirth of the 1Ds3 'pure IQ, screw the throughput' sort of product), would it not? 

Wasn't this 16-bit stuff pure speculation? Moving to 16 bit shouldn't necessitate a major file format update anyway AFAICS. CR2 is just a container format, like TIFF, capable of storing multiple datasets of all kinds of formats.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »

Whoa, 16-bit stills will be first rolled out to out to a mid-level crop camera?  Isn't this a heretofore only available in medium format sort of spec?

If so, why on earth would Canon first launch this in the middle of the crop portfolio?  If/when this ever happens at Canon, it would be an exclusive 1-series level feature (perhaps a rebirth of the 1Ds3 'pure IQ, screw the throughput' sort of product), would it not? 

- A

I agree it does seem like a bit of a stretch. Let’s think of other reasons they might upgrade to CR-3. Because well, wild speculation is fun.  ;D

Diltiazem

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:44 AM »
Dumb question.

Why call it CR3?
Canon could have made all the changes and still could have called it CR2. What am I missing?

Diltiazem

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:37 AM »
CR should have provided a link to original source, especially because last two bullet points are CR's own opinion and has nothing to do with original rumor.

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50.html

bf

• EOS M5
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 06:18:53 AM »
I think Canon will put full frame and more serious cameras with single digit names similar to its DSLRs. This body would be M5ii in 2017!

EOS M+6

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »
Dumb question.

Why call it CR3?
Canon could have made all the changes and still could have called it CR2. What am I missing?

I think that you are right..... that’s what makes this so interesting!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »
Dumb question.

Why call it CR3?

If they're making a large change to the structure of the file format itself, it might warrant a bump in "major version" instead of just releasing a new version of CR2. There might be enough accumulated cruft and backwards compatible hacks that they want to fix even though AFAICS CR2 is a pretty flexible file format.

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
Dumb question.

Why call it CR3?

If they're making a large change to the structure of the file format itself, it might warrant a bump in "major version" instead of just releasing a new version of CR2. There might be enough accumulated cruft and backwards compatible hacks that they want to fix even though AFAICS CR2 is a pretty flexible file format.
Or - some humorous answer - they may want to state that it is certainly (CR3) Canon Raw instead of .. probably (CR2) Canon Raw (Sorry I could not resist!)  ;D ;D ;D

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:42 AM »
According to DXOmark's data, there is an absolutely huge difference between the 200D and Canon M3.
When you set the camera to ISO 3200, the actual ISO on the 200D is only 2125! Whilst the actual ISO on the M3 is close-to-ideal ISO 3133.  This is nearly a quite massive 50% difference in sensitivity (3133 is 47.4% more than 2125).
7D mark II gives 2458 ISO at the same setting.

This has real-world implications for shooting. If you were using a certain ISO and shutter speed on the Canon M3, you can no longer use it on the 7D mark II or 200D... you would possibly need to bump the ISO up one stop to get a proper exposure.

We are not doing an apples to apples comparison in dynamic range tests if we set both cameras to 'ISO 3200' in the settings.

We could arbitrarily slap the 'ISO 3200' label onto a camera with a real ISO 100 setting, and it would beat all other currently manufactured cameras.

This is why comparisons like this give a clearer picture than the link you offered, which is clearly labelled "Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting'... unfortunately there is a discrepancy between "ISO setting" and "actual ISO sensitivity", a huge one.

https://ibb.co/n0zLQx

If you set the 200D and the M3 to 3200iso there is 0.15 stop of a difference between the DR. You can follow test results down rabbit holes or just make simple comparisons, I choose to do the later.

In a real world scenario you might find the 200D might need more over exposure to get an optimal exposure but that doesn’t alter the fact that as a baseline performance there is 0.15 stop difference in DR between the two at 3200iso, 5.54 stops to 5.69 stops. And the point of that is that at these two mathematically derived figures the component of noise is equivalent.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

HaroldC3

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
If CR is correct about the price (around current M6 prices), it will decimate all previous body sales.  M5/M6 (maybe even m100) sales would be almost nil going forward and it would give Sony/Fuji some very good competition despite the lack of a full native lens library.

This would, of course, depends on if Canon severely crippled the M50 somehow.  If so, that would be the worst mistake.

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
Dumb question.

Why call it CR3?

Marketing?

fingerstein

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »
I would be interested for an alternative to Sony A6500/Lumix Gh5 for cheap gimbal work.
But I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest in something that doesn't have 4K 60p or at least 120fps FHD with sound.
I'm sure Canon will still hold back it's newest technology and will cripple features.
But even so... it proves to be very stable and reliable. I'm looking forward on Canon gear because I want something that I can work with confidence and it would be very painful to sell all my Canon branded equipment.
So... Canon, I could use my money on other brands or on yours. What you say?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »
Why call it CR3?

In the beggining, CRW:
https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/canon_raw.html

Today, CR2:
http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/#intro

Both TIFF format but different.

Why CR3? Who know.
Special for Dual Pixel? If yes, 5D Mark IV get CR3 in firmware?

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
Also, it states that the C-Raw files are 40 percent smaller than the CR3 files and about the same size as the old RAW files....

This answer. CR3 because compression change.

Canon follow Apple, replace JPEG by HEIF in CR3?

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

Magic Lantern show JPEG for RAW, don't understand?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »