June 23, 2018, 04:26:48 PM

Author Topic: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications  (Read 36257 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
Re: Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »
This also means the APS-C [mirrorless] system needs decent environmental sealing.

Curious to see how the M5/M6 'II' (or whatever they call it) pans out.  That line was previously something like a mirrorless 80D.  Yet we will have the new mirrorless mid-level item in the M50, so it makes me wonder what the future breakdown of EOS M will be. 

The presumption is (leaving out any M1 for FF talk for now, let's just talk crop):

M5/M6 II = Top (M50 specs + more knobs/controls + likely higher fps yet, possibly new sensor, possibly sealed)
M50 = Mid-level (4K, quick burst, integral VF)
M100 = Entry

But it's possible that the M50 is more 77D like than 80D and Canon envisions a 4-tier EOS M crop platform:

M* = Think 7D3-level in mirrorless terms (weathersealed, and 1-2 sealed EF-M lenses would be needed!)
M5/M6 II = Think 80D-level in mirrorless terms
M50 = Think 77D-level in mirrorless terms
M100 = Entry

* = M1 would naturally top the crop platform, but we'd get lost in a naming fight (which we love to do here, because naming stuff is everyone's favorite pasttime here ::))

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
It is probably (hopefully) sensor stabilization and lens stabilization working together, similar to Olympus where the claim up to 5 stops of stabilization....

Unlikely that Canon is implementing IBIS.  It's dual-sensing IS, probably means the camera's gyro sensors (i.e., electronic level) help support lens IS.  That may require lens firmware updates.

but it does say "5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS"...... 5 axis is most likely IBIS...

Sorry, no.  Current bodies offer '5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS', which applies only to video capture.  The combination part is optical lens IS with digital rotation and translation correction of the video.

Quote from: Canon
The Canon EOS M5 also features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization, while capturing video, a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attachediv, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos.

DARN!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
This also means the APS-C [mirrorless] system needs decent environmental sealing.

Curious to see how the M5/M6 'II' (or whatever they call it) pans out.  That line was previously something like a mirrorless 80D.  Yet we will have the new mirrorless mid-level item in the M50, so it makes me wonder what the future breakdown of EOS M will be. 

The lack of poweruser ergonomics in the M50 make it more like an x00D than a 77D (never mind 80D), even though it's tech specs are pretty impressive. I propose a simple heuristic for figuring out what tier Canon considers a body to be on: the number of C modes available.

• 3 – High-end, professional (1D, 5D, 7D, hypothetical M*)
  • 2 – Enthusiast (80D, 6D, M5, M6)
  • (1 – No currently available bodies; 60D, 70D had just one)
  • 0 – All "Rebel-like" (77D, x00D, 1x00D, M50, M100)

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »

The presumption is (leaving out any M1 for FF talk for now, let's just talk crop):

M5/M6 II = Top (M50 specs + more knobs/controls + likely higher fps yet, possibly new sensor, possibly sealed)
M50 = Mid-level (4K, quick burst, integral VF)
M100 = Entry

But it's possible that the M50 is more 77D like than 80D and Canon envisions a 4-tier EOS M crop platform:

M* = Think 7D3-level in mirrorless terms (weathersealed, and 1-2 sealed EF-M lenses would be needed!)
M5/M6 II = Think 80D-level in mirrorless terms
M50 = Think 77D-level in mirrorless terms
M100 = Entry

* = M1 would naturally top the crop platform, but we'd get lost in a naming fight (which we love to do here, because naming stuff is everyone's favorite pasttime here ::))

- A

or you are overthinking.

canon is going to happily make camera bodies to fit into niches.  vlogging is a over-hyped niche, but still a niche.

The M50 fits into that role.  it does nothing to change the m6, M5, or even the M100 really and there really doesn't have to be a line to line matchup between rebels and xxD series cameras and the mirrorless lineup.  that actually would be rather inane for canon to do since the requirements of the market and video SHOULD be entirely different for mirrorless than it should for DSLR's.

and finally .. the M's are made by the powershot groups and are powershot in model numbers.  they could probably couldn't care any less about how the DSLR lineup looks.   the powershots are more about cameras to fit into roles than they are some mystical DSLR numbering or deployment scheme.  the G9x, G5x, G3x, G7x all share similarities but are tweaked for different roles. The EF-M's more closely match up to the Gx series bodies then they ever do the DSLR's.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:32:14 PM by rrcphoto »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
The M50 fits into that role.  it does nothing to change the m6, M5, or even the M100 really and there really doesn't have to be a line to line matchup between rebels and xxD series cameras and the mirrorless lineup.  that actually would be rather inane for canon to do since the requirements of the market and video SHOULD be entirely different for mirrorless than it should for DSLR's.

You call it overthinking, I call it Canon being Canon.  They segment the crap out of us and line us up for specific price points in their arsenal of products.

I actually think there's a ton of sense for these to line up because one day (5 years? 10?) the mirrors in Rebels won't be there anymore, and folks might want something spec/feature-similar in the mirrorless format.  What remains to be seen is if Canon will simply pull the mirror out of a similar sized Rebel (to keep EF-S alive), or if they will just point people to a similarly tiered setup of camera options in EOS M. 

If it's the latter, expect EOS M to grow into a segmented market setup that resembles the SLR tier of crop camera bodies.  They don't have to look like Rebels and have all the same controls (PowerShot thinking may honestly be better for such small bodies), but the features and price points will 100% be there.  That's what Canon does: market research, segment the market, offer a portfolio with a houseload of price points and conquer!

- A

rrcphoto

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »

You call it overthinking, I call it Canon being Canon.  They segment the crap out of us and line us up for specific price points in their arsenal of products.

Sigh.

why are you trying kicking and screaming to fit this into a less dynamic role model when no other powershot line matches up the DSLR's?  These are powershots.  They are developed and sold under the powershot umbrella, NOT the DSLR umbrella.  Thier model numbers, are powershot model numbers (PC____), not DSC____ which is for all DSLR's.

Segmentation has nothing to do with trying to fit this into a rebel / xxD series DSLR lineup and try to create some fantasy of equivalency.

you quoted me and clipped out the most relevant part of my response to you.

These cameras are segmented similar to the Gx series of 1" powershots.

heck you could have guessed the M5 feature set and look from looking at the powershots.

G9x - M100
G7x - M6
G5x - M5

it's not that hard.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:30:26 PM by rrcphoto »

freejay

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
"Electronic" stabilization is software only. But Canon is pretty good with that.
"Sensor" stabilization is IBIS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
EVERY. Single. release like this, there's a bunch of speculation, that turns into rumor, that turns into canon statements which turn out to be canon lied to us once the actual product came out, and the cries of why couldn't canon do what i dreamt up a week ago.

no. Every single release people express their hope to finally get gear that is fully competitive with current market/ other vendors' products *in every respect* ... every time that hope gets disappointed by Canon ... e.g. "again, no 4k", "again sensor not fully up to par with Sony", etc. ... EVERY. SINGLE.TIME. STUPID. CANON underdelivers. 

Jack Douglas

• http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
AvTvM, while I share a bit of that sentiment, if I felt like you I'd be long gone from Canon ... unless I liked torturing myself or just wanted to complain and be negative. 

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
I actually think there's a ton of sense for these to line up because one day (5 years? 10?) the mirrors in Rebels won't be there anymore, and folks might want something spec/feature-similar in the mirrorless format.  What remains to be seen is if Canon will simply pull the mirror out of a similar sized Rebel (to keep EF-S alive), or if they will just point people to a similarly tiered setup of camera options in EOS M. 

I'll make you a bet, just for the fun of it -- that in 2028, there will still be new mirrored Rebels being released.  Probably in multiple colors! 8)

I saw a guy walk into a camera shop just yesterday and buy three disposable film cameras.  If those are still around... LOL.

AvTvM

« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »
AvTvM, while I share a bit of that sentiment, if I felt like you I'd be long gone from Canon ... unless I liked torturing myself or just wanted to complain and be negative. 

Jack

quit simple: i have not purchased any new Canon gear for last 2 or even 3 years ... just keep using what i got. switch to another brand has not (yet) been compelling (enough) for me either ...

mFT = sensor too small, prices too high, not interested at all
Nikon = no APS-C or FF mirrorless
Fuji = retro-styled crop-sensor gear at FF prices and almost FF size and weight, plus don't care for their deviant sensors
Sony = only latest gen has halfway bearable UI, but cameras got bigger all the time and lenses are either crappy or way too big and too expensive

as i often said, "stupid Canon is incredibly fortunate to have even more stupid competition only" ...   :P

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »

Jack

quit simple: i have not purchased any new Canon gear for last 2 or even 3 years ... just keep using what i got. switch to another brand has not (yet) been compelling (enough) for me either ...

Fuji = retro-styled crop-sensor gear at FF prices and almost FF size and weight, plus don't care for their deviant sensors
Sony = only latest gen has halfway bearable UI, but cameras got bigger all the time and lenses are either crappy or way too big and too expensive

as i often said, "stupid Canon is incredibly fortunate to have even more stupid competition only" ...   :P

No offense, but when someone finds fault with all the camera companies - and with cameras that have great IQ are easy to use, and are way beyond what was possible in the film era - it's not the camera companies that are stupid.

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »

Jack

Once we step out of dpr, dxo, rumors, miranda and other internet forums into real world of making pics, there are lot of things going in favor of Canon i.e., EF mount, lens, quality control, color science, service,  nice cameras, market share, focus on all spectrum of users and duel pixel focus. Of course then incredibly fortunate competition and add to the shrinking market dynamics.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:22:44 PM by ritholtz »
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »

scyrene

• My Flickr feed
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »

Maybe all the camea manufacturers are stupid, as you say, and you alone are clever. But I can think of a more likely alternative  ::)
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

crashpc

• EOS 80D
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:40 AM »
Nobody has to be stupid really. It´s just that many people (even internally in the company) don´t agree with certain things, and to produce at least anything, the outcome is great compromise. Maybe too great, more often than not.

The thing we want might not just be the priority in global sales angle of view. That doesn´t mean we don´t get it later, or that it is stoopid. It´s just that the function, or a "parameter" didn´t make it to the final product for some reasons. But it has better chance if people ask for it openly. Calling someone stupiid for it, is.... wel, stupid.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:40 AM »