Rumors > Third Party Manufacturers

Tokina to Announce Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF

(1/6) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Not to be outdone, Tokina plans to announce a Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF ahead of CP+. Canon shooters have been waiting a new 50mm for quite some time, I’m not sure this is what they were thinking. You’re also going to have to wait a while to try it out, as it doesn’t look like it’s coming until September of 2018. One neat design element of the lens, is it appears the focus ring will rotate in the direction that matches your Canon or Nikon camera. Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF Specifications: (Google Translated)
* Autofocus full frame lens
* Mount: For Canon · For Nikon
* Ring type ultrasonic motor
* Dust and Weather Resistant
* For the first time at Tokinar adopted electromagnetic iris system for Nikon
* The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a genuine lens for both Canon and Nikon
* Scheduled release date: Summer 2018
* Announcement expected on February 28

Ryananthony:

--- Quote from: Canon Rumors on February 21, 2018, 11:38:08 PM ---You’re also going to have to wait a while to try it out, as it doesn’t look like it’s coming until September of 2018.

--- End quote ---

It will still be released sooner then any new Canon version. Ive never owned a Tokina lens before, but im strangely excited for this announcement.

mb66energy:
Only interesting if it has image stabilization but that doesn't seem the case. And it looks like a larger lens with some retrofocus construction which would explain the physical length of the lens.

While still waiting on a Canon EF 50 / 1.4 or 1.8 IS USM with good close focus (1:4 or 0.25x at least) I have to admit that the Tamron 45mm seems to be not too unattractive.

Sharlin:
What is this, a Tokina with a modern design language and AF drive? It's great to be a lens buyer these days.

Mac Duderson:
I have had quite a few Tokina lenses and they were all great and they have very good customer service for 2 of my experiences.  8)
"Opera" to kinda follow Sigma's "ART" kinda line I suppose. I like that they are using that kind of terminology but I'm not sure if I'm feelin the "Opera" name though. Kinda makes me think boring old lady.   ;D
Maybe they were thinking "finer things"
Anyhow I would expect this lens to have an edge on the Sigma Art with better Bokeh.
But I estimate in a year and a half we will get a Canon 50mm 1.4 IS.  8) :o 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version