June 18, 2018, 08:14:23 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications  (Read 21899 times)

crazyrunner33

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
By strange coincidence, Canon professional services Europe just
sent out a newsletter detailing the cinema light raw format:
https://www.canon.co.uk/pro/stories/cinema-raw-light/

Now... think again, everybody: What is this C-Raw inside the M50?
Anybody puking from excitement?

you're trying to shove a round peg into too many square holes.  Cini RAW light has NOTHING to do with this.  there's no chance in hell this gets raw video of any sort.

Emphatic? yes.  it uses regular SD cards.

The hardware will have the capability for it

you know this ... how?

canon's SD card writes usually top out at 100mb/sec btw.  the ML raw project used an SD card for the firmware and CF cards for the actual raw data.

Cini light RAW is 1Gps - far exceeding any SD cards going into the M50.

Have you used RAW video before or dug into the ML code? I can run ML RAW video on my 5D with only the SD card, it can run the firmware off the same card it writes to, it just drops the performance. The 10 year old photography only Canon 50D can even support close to 1080p RAW with the firmware on the same card, it's safe to say the hardware should be fine on the EOS M50. The main question is whether or not ML will be able to crack the M50, and the speed of the SD card controller.

I'm not expecting Canon to go with the latest and greatest controllers that can support 4K compressed RAW on SD cards, but it's safe to assume they're using a more modern SD card slot with the DIGIC 8. If it can hit 1080 RAW, I'd be real happy since it upscales very well to 4K. RAW video is only nice to have for those few times where there's a challenging lighting situation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

Shellbo6901

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
wish the white colored one's beauty wasn't ruined by the gray grip ): just wish they could squish this into a g3x body(with a swivel screen) and have a good lense on it(faster and lighter even with less zoom if need be)

skyshooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
It really makes me sad that there isn't a wired remote available for this. While skydiving photography is indeed a very niche market, the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless. Saving that much weight and space on the helmet is a no brainer. I need a wired remote for my bite switch, so I guess m6 it is instead of m50.
Note to Canon - I would pretty much pay whatever you wanted to charge for a USB adapter for a wired remote. For the 6 years I've been in the sport, it went from almost exclusively Canon, to almost exclusively Sony for new setups.
why not use the bluetooth remote?
It's standard to use a wired biteswitch. That way I can do things like hang on to the outside of an airplane, steer my parachute, dock on people. And have both hands 100% free if there is an emergency with my parachute. And while I'm sure the Bluetooth remotes are pretty good, most in-air photographers don't like relying on something that can mis-pair. GoPros remotes have been very good at failing mid air, to the point where a skydiver made an external indicator, TurnedOn, instead of relying on anything else.

edit:that site has a lot of other in-air photography equipment if anyone is interested in how pro/enthusiast skydivers shoot stills in-air
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:57:26 PM by skyshooter »

skyshooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
...the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless.

It is? My experience is not representative of the entire market, but the only cameras I’ve ever seen on helmets are GoPro-type cameras, not ilc’s of any kind.
For pro / semi-pro photographers, ILC are still the standard. Some tandem video/photo ops are using GoPros or X3000s though.
I shoot formations, I need to be able to time the shot exactly, not depend on them holding the formation during the interval the GoPro decides to fire, and time the shot perfectly for the piece movements. Plus, I would never submit a GoPro still to a publication and almost never to a sponsor.

skyshooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
...the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless.

It is? My experience is not representative of the entire market, but the only cameras I’ve ever seen on helmets are GoPro-type cameras, not ilc’s of any kind.

Then we have Bill and the 35mm movie camera on a football helmet......
Yeah, I've learned enough from the old guys, I'll just keep a sleek setup that can operated hands-free. And that can be safely cutaway

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »

Then we have Bill and the 35mm movie camera on a football helmet......
Yeah, I've learned enough from the old guys, I'll just keep a sleek setup that can operated hands-free. And that can be safely cutaway
yes :)

The best camera is the one in your hands

Jacen

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »
As someone who’s doing behind the scenes documentation for small independent theatre and film companies (=little to no money for me), I’m perhaps most exited over the fact that we finally get a silent mode that is silent in a Canon camera.
The inclusion of 4K is nice too, giving me more latitude in post even if it’s only 24/25.

So now I’m on the fence on whether or not to sell my M5, get this and then probably sell the M50 when the M5 mark II drops...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
As someone who’s doing behind the scenes documentation for small independent theatre and film companies (=little to no money for me), I’m perhaps most exited over the fact that we finally get a silent mode that is silent in a Canon camera.
The inclusion of 4K is nice too, giving me more latitude in post even if it’s only 24/25.

So now I’m on the fence on whether or not to sell my M5, get this and then probably sell the M50 when the M5 mark II drops...

one of the problems with setting up a remote camera to capture shy birds at a feeder is CLICK! from the shutter, and they fly away......

we have a cure!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Quackator

• EOS M5
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2018, 05:34:30 PM »
The powershot firmware is the reason we got EVF, focus peaking and all the other goodies on the mirrorless side.

Er... no. The M/M2 were on regular firmware, that's why Magic Lantern worked on them.

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
What's the limiting factor of this camera not having a faster FPS?
Canon seems to have gone to some length to make a good APS-C MILC but didn't go for something like 15 FPS which would have been a great selling point.
Is it the processing power on the Digic used?

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »
The powershot firmware is the reason we got EVF, focus peaking and all the other goodies on the mirrorless side.

Er... no. The M/M2 were on regular firmware, that's why Magic Lantern worked on them.

err yes? the EVF, focus peaking, etc came with powershot firmware on the M3..

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 03:14:44 AM »
What's the limiting factor of this camera not having a faster FPS?

Shutter mechanism?
Sensor read speed?
Processor speed?
Data bus speed?
Buffer write speed?
Card write speed?
Product differentiation?
Uselessness of 15fps to a beginner?
Uselessness of 15fps with AF locked in general?

Most likely all of them. Would be bad engineering AND bad economics to design everything to a higher standard and then leave a single bottleneck... Mind that 24MP*15fps would be a higher throughput than the friggin' 1-D X Mk II's 20MP*16fps. So I think you might see why a $800 entry-level body wouldn't have that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:18:15 AM by Sharlin »

Quackator

• EOS M5
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »

err yes? the EVF, focus peaking, etc came with powershot firmware on the M3..

EVF, yes.  The rest came with Magic Lantern on the big firmware.
And ML support was crapped by the powershot firmware.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »

Peterm

• Canonflex
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
Will the M50 do full autofocus at f/8? I want to use my 400mm zoom with 1.4 extender.

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »
Will the M50 do full autofocus at f/8? I want to use my 400mm zoom with 1.4 extender.
As the other DUAL PIXEL AF cameras work perfectly with F8 lenses (or F5.6 plus 1.4x teleconverter) the new M50 should work perfectly as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »