November 29, 2014, 05:27:06 AM

Author Topic: Grand Canyon Lens suggestions  (Read 10745 times)

fsu_dan17

Re: Grand Canyon Lens suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

One final tip, lots of dust, so keep your gear protected.  In May it still may be a bit windy, less so in the AM.

[/quote]

do you have any recommendations on how to protect from dust other than the platic bag method?  Any good rain covers that double as dust covers without breaking the bank?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

Cardad

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
I have been following the CR Forums for some time.  This post finally prompted me to register.  First, FSU_Dan, wishing you a safe and speedy return from Afghanistan!  Second, I hope you do not mind piggybacking on your post. 

I am also planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, etc. in May.  I will be shooting with a 7D and have an EF-S 15-85 and EF 70-300L.  My only real expertise (a stretch) is motorsports (thus the 7D).  I am wondering if I will be happy with the 15-85, or if I need wider (say the ef-s 10-22) or faster (a prime)?  I would appreciate feedback from landscape and canyon shooters regarding lenses for the 7D on this trip.

Also, I have a good quality circular polarizer.  While I hope to be able to shoot  early and late, I do not plan to put the camera away mid-day.  Will a neutral density filter be a must?

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
I have been following the CR Forums for some time.  This post finally prompted me to register.  First, FSU_Dan, wishing you a safe and speedy return from Afghanistan!  Second, I hope you do not mind piggybacking on your post. 

I am also planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, etc. in May.  I will be shooting with a 7D and have an EF-S 15-85 and EF 70-300L.  My only real expertise (a stretch) is motorsports (thus the 7D).  I am wondering if I will be happy with the 15-85, or if I need wider (say the ef-s 10-22) or faster (a prime)?  I would appreciate feedback from landscape and canyon shooters regarding lenses for the 7D on this trip.

Also, I have a good quality circular polarizer.  While I hope to be able to shoot  early and late, I do not plan to put the camera away mid-day.  Will a neutral density filter be a must?

The 15-85mm will be fine for the Grand Canyon. I took along the Tokina 11-16, but I don't know if I even used it. I think I took more shots at the 85mm end than I did at the 15mm end. (Crop shots of the rising and setting sun playing against canyon walls and rocks that jut up from the bottom of the canyon).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »

I'd be interested in the answer to this also, as I will be there in March.
Diane

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
My wife is going this spring with some friends, she is a point and shoot user.  I was thinkiing of a G1X to replace her G11, but now I wonder if its wide enough.  She will use my 7D, but does not like to and will not fool with settings.

I wonder if my 15mm FE would work on it for grand canyon?  I'd likely just put on the 15-85 and let her use it on fully automatic.  She really wants something small.

I guess I need to look at either a wide adapter, or a ultra wide lens on a mirrorless, if there is such a thing.

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
I rented the 14/2.8L II as an ultra-wide option when shooting the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in January. The perspective that lens offers is magical. Perhaps not the most versatile lens, but you'd be hard-pressed to beat it for what it does.

I've been to the Grand Canyon a few times, and last I remember, it's pretty WIDE. The 14L would be at the top of my list, personally.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

ew20

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
If you can swing it, a great option is the 21mm Zeiss.  Fantastic at landscapes and sharp corner to corner.  It's rendering style really suits it for the colors and contrast in the rocks and sky.   I sold mine and went to the 35mm, which is a solid option as well.  The 35 is fantastic, so I wouldn't say I completely regret it, but IMO the Zeiss 21 is the only landscape lens I've used that surpasses the 24-TSE.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »
I don't usually post pictures, but I can't resist this one.

Notice everyone shooting into the sun and then notice the absolutely beautiful light striking the canyon walls behind them. That's what I meant when I said you don't necessarily want to just look in the direction of the light. And, BTW, the view toward the sunrise was quite ordinary, almost bland.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »

One final tip, lots of dust, so keep your gear protected.  In May it still may be a bit windy, less so in the AM.

do you have any recommendations on how to protect from dust other than the platic bag method?  Any good rain covers that double as dust covers without breaking the bank?

Nothing too special other than avoid those clouds of dust when cars pass by on gravel roads, swap lens in your car or with the wind to your back.  Might be a good idea to have a plastic bag in your pocket in case you are out a ways from your car and a wind picks up or a bunch of bikers come passing thru.  May is typically a very dry month so you shouldn't have to worry about rain but be prepared just in case.  The summer monsoon for the southwest doesn't begin until early July.

Stay safe, welcome home, and thank you!

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

I've been up there a couple of times with my 7D and 15-85.  I never had a shot I could not get with 15 but like I mentioned on an earlier post, a little wider for some shots would have been nice.  If it is convenient and affordable, I'd rent and bring a 10-22. 

A polarizer will be extremely useful, I don't see the need for ND filter unless you have a very fast lens you need to shoot wide open with in full sun--your 15-85 even at 3.5 will be just fine.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »

I'd be interested in the answer to this also, as I will be there in March.
Diane

In case you miss my previous post:

"A polarizer will be extremely useful, I don't see the need for ND filter unless you have a very fast lens you need to shoot wide open with in full sun--your 15-85 even at 3.5 will be just fine."

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
You might want an ND if you have a river in the pic, or if you want the sky to look smooth around sunset.  I always bring one just in case.

You definitely want a grad ND.  Get a square one, and you can just hold it until you get a filter holder.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

pp77

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
My plan is to arrive in Las Vegas early morning by plane and drive over to Grand Canyon.  We are staying 2 nights there in park and then driving up to Monument Valley.  2 days there and then driving to Page, AZ to see Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend.  We are staying in page for 3 days then driving back to Vegas (through Utah with maybe a stop at Zion or Bryce Canyon.  We are then stayiing in Vegas for 5 more days to have some fun and go to redrock. I probably have some time to stay longer in AZ but I had to book the hotels because they book up fast, especially the ones in GC park and the Monument Valley View Hotel (in park).  Total time is about 2 weeks.  Lots of driving but no more than 5 hours on any single leg. 
All of this is pending my safe return from Afghanistan...thank god for this site it is giving me something to do photography related.

When I visited the Grand Canyon last time I used a crop-camera with a 24-105 and a 18-55 kit lens. It was nice to have the 24-105, to get some details like trees at the rim border or of hikers, but for the most impressive images I was using the kit lens at 18 mm and these 18 mm were enough for me.
I would recommend the south rim before the north side, you then have the sun from behind all day, which is probably better for most places there. As suggested earlier, bring a telephoto lens for the condors, often they are pretty close to the Grand Canyon Village, sometimes they even sit at the rim just a few yards away from the trail.
Bring a wide angle lens to the horseshoe bend, the wider the better! 18 mm on a crop camera is not enough to get both sides of the canyon and the river without falling down from the rocks.
For Antelope Canyon you might want to book a tour for photographers. If it is a very busy day you will not find the time to take the pictures you want because they will shoo you through the canyon and you will always have people walking around in your photos. Last time I visited the Lower Antelope Canyon I was very lucky. You always have to take a guided tour, but not many tourists visited on this day, and they gave me all the time I wanted. Visit both Antelope canyons if you can, they are different. Entrance fee it is not cheap, but worth the money.
I agree with a previous post, take the road down into the Monument valley if you have a SUV or a Jeep. The road down to the valley bottom is full of really deep potholes, but it is much better down on the bottom round tour. The perspective from down there is so different of the one from the big parking lot at the visiter center.
If I had to choose between Zion and Bryce I definitely would take Bryce Canyon. IMO it offers much more and better possibilities for photography and it really is a very beautiful place. In Bryce you are at the rim of the canyon and can take your photos from up there, while in Bryce you have to climb up to places like Angels Landing to get the best shots. Zion is nice so see, Bryce is spectacular, IMO.
Have fun and enjoy your trip!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »

ashe

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
This is funny but I am in the process of planning the same trip except with LV and Cali included. This info is great!

I am going out to the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, and redrock in late May.  I currently plan on using my 17-40 but have been reading comments about the image quality at 17mm on a FF camera(will be using either 5DII or III if it is out).  I am debating on renting either the 14mm, 24mm, or 16-35mm.  What do you guys think? Should I consider a good tele? 
If anyone has been to antelope canyon, I would love to know which tour you recommend for the best photography.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Will that fit on my MF tripod.  I have the 322RC2 head on it now.  I was thinking about buying another head anyway so this might work.
yeah It should the unit isn't too heavy in itself I just put it onto my benro travel angel CF tripod no problems
I also should have mentioned my favourite lens for tele panoramas is the 100 f2.8L macro
it's light , its super sharp, 100mm gives a nice detail boost to make big panoramas but not insane that you will spend 10 years processing it. also 100mm is more forgiving of slight movement than say 300mm also you can get macro shots of interesting things with the lens and it makes a wonderful portrait lens
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »