June 23, 2018, 04:54:31 AM

Author Topic: Updated: Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Additional Images & Information  (Read 8460 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
The Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI will be announced alongside the Canon EOS M50 in a few days. This was a flash that was supposed to be announced last summer but was delayed for unknown reasons.

Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Specifications: (via Digicame-Info)

• Auto intelligent (AI) bounce mode of “Full Auto” and “Semi Auto”. With an electric head rotation device, the 470EX-AI automatically determines the optimal bounce position eliminating unnecessary shadows.
  • The guide number is 47 (105 mm). It is driven by 4 AA batteries.
  • It covers the field angle of 24-105mm. Wide panel (14 mm adapter) allows light to spread wide. Clip-on bounce adapter that makes light more soft.
  • Equipped with a dot matrix display that can display more detailed information.
  • The setting can be quickly changed with the shortcut button and the controller wheel.
  • Size 74.6 x 130.4 x 105.1 mm. Weight 385 g (excluding batteries).
  • Price: $399 USD

This new flash is scheduled to begin shipping in April of 2018.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:47:35 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Additional Images & Information
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Damn. Looks like there’s actually automatic adjustment of the bounce angle.  :o

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
This was a flash that was supposed to be announced last summer but was delayed for unknown reasons
Maybe it wasn't ... Intelligent enough  ;D

magarity

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
It looks like the guesses about somehow sensing the distance and color of the bounce surface win. There's a little round sensor-looking thingy next to where the diffuser slides into but nowhere looks like an opening for a second path for light to come out.

daleg

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: Updated: Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Additional Images & Information
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
maybe Canon held it back for the release of the "EOS 8D Mark II"

btw, what's is the "EOS 8D Mark II"?

see description in announcement !?!?

wickedac

• Canonflex
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »
Who is this even for? I don't get it. Does it spin around measuring distances, etc first? That would add a lot of time to the shot.I feel like if you're savvy enough to understand the usefulness of bouncing a speedlight off a wall or ceiling you'd rather choose for yourself how the light is shaped and just do it quickly.

CanonGrunt

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »

Oh boy!! I’ve been waiting forever for a replacement for my 8D!!! 🙃😂🧐
c500, c100 MK II, EOS 1V, 5D MK III, M5, 7D, 85 f/1.4 IS L, 15 fisheye, 16-35 f/4 IS L, 50 f/1.4 USM, 35 f/2 IS, EF-M 22 STM, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MK II, Nifty Fifty & Shorty Forty, EF-S 10-22 USM, 24-105 IS L, 100 IS L Macro, 2X Extender MK III, EF-S 24 Pancake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
What is “auto bounce”?

360 degree sensors evaluate the room and the subject, then a motorized head automatically rotates the flash to likely best exposure, based on your selection of 5 steps between "dramatic" and "symmetrical"  8)

Ok, well, here's wishin'

Okay Talys. Your idea was much closer than I expected - I have to give you that. Hat’s off.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
What is “auto bounce”?

360 degree sensors evaluate the room and the subject, then a motorized head automatically rotates the flash to likely best exposure, based on your selection of 5 steps between "dramatic" and "symmetrical"  8)

Ok, well, here's wishin'

Okay Talys. Your idea was much closer than I expected - I have to give you that. Hat’s off.

I guess what I thought couldn't be done is now done. Wait for the lawsuit. Canon could not have invented this. Everyone knows Canon doesn't innovate.  ::) :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:18:32 PM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
'Auto Intelligence' seems like an awfully grandiose moniker for simple geometry.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
'Auto Intelligence' seems like an awfully grandiose moniker for simple geometry.  ::)
More difficult than geometry, is knowing the distance, the reflectivity and the color of the ceiling in the real world. If the flash is able to calculate all that and adjust properly, even with the camera in portrait orientation, it would be a great technological leap.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:02:38 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
More difficult than geometry, is knowing the distance, the reflectivity and the color of the ceiling in the real world. If the flash is able to calculate all that and adjust properly, even with the camera in portrait orientation, it would be a great technological leap.

If...

Where in, "With an electric head rotation device, the 470EX-AI automatically determines the optimal bounce position eliminating unnecessary shadows," do you interpret an ability to determine reflectivity and color?  Incidentally, E-TTL will handle the reflectivity, there's no need for the flash to determine that a priori.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

rrcphoto

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

that's a machine translation error.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »

If...

Where in, "With an electric head rotation device, the 470EX-AI automatically determines the optimal bounce position eliminating unnecessary shadows," do you interpret an ability to determine reflectivity and color?  Incidentally, E-TTL will handle the reflectivity, there's no need for the flash to determine that a priori.
I really do not like the result of bouncing the flash on ceilings of any color, other than white. If this 470EX can measure and tell the camera the correct color of the reflected light, then it would be something beyond the beautiful words of the marketing staff.

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »

If...

But E-TTL cannot measure the reflectivity of the bounce surface so this has to be handled by the flash to mix the direct and bounced fractions of light correctly.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + EF 100mm Macro + EF f/2.0 100  + 4.0 / 70-200 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »