August 01, 2014, 07:02:27 PM

Author Topic: Leaked photo of 5DIII/X to be 38MP ?  (Read 12278 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Leaked photo of 5DIII/X to be 38MP ?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
If the 5dX/III gets "1d x af" or even 61 points with less sensitivty, and 22mp and 7 fps, why would anyone buy a 1d X? And I am completely aware of how a 5d2 and a 1d mk4 compares, and although I used every single functon of the 1d4, the center point of the 5d is is still better in many ways, MUCH cleaner low iso files, the only thing the 5d lacks is the specs that seem to indicate what the 5dX would look like, but then the benefits of the 1d X will be washed away, and for half the price, I think a lot of people who HAD to buy a 1d for certain areas of use, like me, are more than willing to sacrifice AF- tracking sensitivty and live with one or three dual-cross points compared to 5...

To me, the 5d specs looks waaaaaay off, considering what the 1d X brings to the table. 22mp at 7 fps with 61 point AF, no way.... If the 1d X hadn't been released yet, then yeah, but after seeing that, how can they make the 5d THAT close, they have learned that the VEERY hard way from destroying the 1ds3 sales with the 5d2....

Point taken but the same could have been said about the D700 and D800 and nikons flagships...  To the point, there are those who will want and need the size/build/etc of the 1d series and will never look to the 5d series... and visa versa... there will be 1d shooters needing a quality baby brother they can take with them that's less conspicuous vs the 1d seires but be able to shoot with it without missing a beat.  Plus Canon knows the market share of photographers, even pro's who can afford or will shoot with 1dx's are far smaller, even a fraction of those who shoots 5d series and with the gantlet of the D800 being thrown and most definitely sony will throw out their version, so canon needs to do something to keep 5d shooters 5d shooters.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

almograve

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »
I believe we have to keep in mind who bought the 5DMKII. I don't have numbers obviously but I have the feeling that the majority of the sales where made to

1.Wealthy enthusiasts that are mostly amateurs with money.
2. Sales in the video industry and video amateurs
3. PRO as a secondary or third camera for the "dirty" work.

If they want to maintain the success with the 5dMKIII they have to focus mainly on the first 2 groups and also please a new group of people: owner of the mkII that want to renew.

The first one, doesn't care about high MPs, they don't want to deal with the heavy size of the files generated by a 40MP camera.
Owners of the mkII could care less about MPs, they know they have enough. They have been  waiting to upgrade, and they want high ISO, shoot fast in low light. However, Canon needs to be appealing enough and avoid the "good enough" effect.

Second group is a all different word, I have very little knowledge of video but clearly high MP is not a must. They want low noise, high ISO I believe.

Third group, they can probably pay for the 1Dx and they'll get the hight MP to go with the 1Dx and they won't care about a camera too close from what they already have. But only Canon knows what % they are in overall sales. So yes, I guess they would want the high MPs and they will by for sure the 1Dx if they get this high ISO with the mkIII.

This brings use back to a 22MP high ISO camera, with slower images per second than the 1DX and even software slowed down, autofocus needs to be as sharp as the 7D but not more.

To me, the problem will come if they release a high MP in the range of the Nikon D800. This will be a mess. I won't know what to buy cause I don't want high  MP because it's useless for the group 1 where I stand (besides saying to your "point and shoot" friends that you have a 40MP camera and they will be a lot more impressed than the guy having a 1Dx) . And I won't buy a 4 year old camera (MKII) even though it's a great camera. I'm not buying something that will disappear from the market a few month later even if they keep it at first.

Or Canon could please us all by release 2 cameras, 5DMKIII with hight MP and a 5Dx with low noise high ISO!

I just don't understand why they are waiting so much. I hate it. They are really lucky that Nikon went the high MP way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:20:18 PM by almograve »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
If the 5dX/III gets "1d x af" or even 61 points with less sensitivty, and 22mp and 7 fps, why would anyone buy a 1d X? And I am completely aware of how a 5d2 and a 1d mk4 compares, and although I used every single functon of the 1d4, the center point of the 5d is is still better in many ways, MUCH cleaner low iso files, the only thing the 5d lacks is the specs that seem to indicate what the 5dX would look like, but then the benefits of the 1d X will be washed away, and for half the price, I think a lot of people who HAD to buy a 1d for certain areas of use, like me, are more than willing to sacrifice AF- tracking sensitivty and live with one or three dual-cross points compared to 5...

To me, the 5d specs looks waaaaaay off, considering what the 1d X brings to the table. 22mp at 7 fps with 61 point AF, no way.... If the 1d X hadn't been released yet, then yeah, but after seeing that, how can they make the 5d THAT close, they have learned that the VEERY hard way from destroying the 1ds3 sales with the 5d2....

Point taken but the same could have been said about the D700 and D800 and nikons flagships...  To the point, there are those who will want and need the size/build/etc of the 1d series and will never look to the 5d series... and visa versa... there will be 1d shooters needing a quality baby brother they can take with them that's less conspicuous vs the 1d seires but be able to shoot with it without missing a beat.  Plus Canon knows the market share of photographers, even pro's who can afford or will shoot with 1dx's are far smaller, even a fraction of those who shoots 5d series and with the gantlet of the D800 being thrown and most definitely sony will throw out their version, so canon needs to do something to keep 5d shooters 5d shooters.

So you are willing to buy the 1-series for double the price to double the size and weight of your camera?

Nikon separated the D4 and the D800 with resolution/low light quality, that is a very good call. I need mp's, get the d800 for your studio, I need to able to shoot in the dark and fast action, I'll get the D4.

If the 5d and the 1d X have basically the same res, same AF, same sensor overall, I can't see how they could defend the 1d X for potential customers. I mean, although the 1-series are better weathersealed, the 5d is still weathersealed, and I have used it in grim conditions without a hitch.

I'm arguing this way to get some valid points, because I am a 1-series shooter for a reason, but if the 5d gets THOSE specs, then my needs are very much filled, and for double the price, hmmm, well.....

How hard do you throw your camera in to waterpuddle to defend double the price?

I for one, hope that when trying them side by side, the answer will become VERY clear, otherwise I'm downgrading, and I think a lot of people like me will......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:21:40 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

So you are willing to buy the 1-series for double the price to double the size and weight of your camera?

Nikon separated the D4 and the D800 with resolution/low light quality, that is a very good call. I need mp's, get the d800 for your studio, I need to able to shoot in the dark and fast action, I'll get the D4.

If the 5d and the 1d X have basically the same res, same AF, same sensor overall, I can't see how they could defend the 1d X for potential customers. I mean, although the 1-series are better weathersealed, the 5d is still weathersealed, and I have used it in grim conditions without a hitch.

I'm arguing this way to get some valid points, because I am a 1-series shooter for a reason, but if the 5d gets THOSE specs, then my needs are very much filled, and for double the price, hmmm, well.....

How hard do you throw your camera in to waterpuddle to defend double the price?

I for one, hope that when trying them side by side, the answer will become VERY clear, otherwise I'm downgrading, and I think a lot of people like me will......

Well while I cannot speak for others, I would suppose the difference between those two are similar to those between the 60D and the T3i, except, the are the exact same AF, exact same sensor, ISO, etc... but the 60D you get the ergonomics, FPS, robust body (kinda compared between the two), etc..  If i made my living with the 1d series, you betcha i'd be getting the 1d series replacement.  I dont know you or your photography business/model/clientele, assuming you are professional to begin with.  I shoot professionally and have a rough idea of who buys what cameras, and leaving aside the rich enthusiasts amateurs who get the best gear just because they can, the professional market who get such cameras ($2000+) are the general base of professional photographers and depend on those cameras.  Those who get the 1d series either needs those bodies to perform a function that "lesser" cameras cannot do, which was AF, ISO, integrated batt grip, weather sealing, dedicated buttons, no mode dial, dual cards, insane shutter durability, voice dictation, status, etc... 

Now lets be practical here... IF the new camera is "only" a 22MP or such sensor, the 5d wont have the FPS speed, wont have the 204KISO capabilities, i'd be supprised but grateful for 51K ISO to be honest...  weatersealing, not as much... AF, maybe a dumbed down 61 or maybe an older 45 pt AF from previous cameras... no insane shutter durability, voice dictation, batt grip integrated, dual cards (or if it does, it may be a crippled cf + sd such as the D800...)  There is enough features to keep agencies, newspapers, magazines, freelancers to get this camera without thinking twice. 

Now lets jump off the deep end and pretend the camera comes with a 30+ MP camera... drop the ISO capabilities down to 25k and FPS to 4.  There are trade off's everywhere and professionals such as you (presumably) and me will have to weigh what matters most to us and what direction we want to go towards.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

briansquibb

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
  they have learned that the VEERY hard way from destroying the 1ds3 sales with the 5d2....

The 1Ds3 is a very nice camera - I am pleased they got it wrong - a used 1Ds3 is selling for about the same as a new 5DII - the image IQ is so good from the 1Ds3

I have been surprised how much bigger the jpg is from the 1Ds3 when compared with the 5DII

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
  they have learned that the VEERY hard way from destroying the 1ds3 sales with the 5d2....

The 1Ds3 is a very nice camera - I am pleased they got it wrong - a used 1Ds3 is selling for about the same as a new 5DII - the image IQ is so good from the 1Ds3

I have been surprised how much bigger the jpg is from the 1Ds3 when compared with the 5DII
seriously over here they are still few and far between and expensive as hell I have the chance to buy a used 1Ds3 for  $4500 before the1Dx was announced but decided to get 2 5D mk2 instead how much are used 1D4 going for over there?
APS-H Fanboy

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »

Although if it actually does turn out to be 22MP and not something higher then I think it would not be unreasonable to expect 7fps and 1DX AF, I mean why not? The Nikon will have 6fps in DX mode with grip, 4fps 36MP, Nikon's best AF. If the new 5D3 is 22MP, 4-5fps, 7D AF, not so good, especially when you consider it needs to look good not just now nut 2-3 years from now. That would leak pretty sad IMO. SOme might just hold on to their 5D2s.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

seriously over here they are still few and far between and expensive as hell I have the chance to buy a used 1Ds3 for  $4500 before the1Dx was announced but decided to get 2 5D mk2 instead how much are used 1D4 going for over there?

My 1D4 cost 2700 ukp, 1Ds3 was 1900 ukp

Not many 1Ds3 here - and even less of a market for them. I was lucky in that mine was a studio spare with about 40k actuations. So even at 500 a week (about what I take on average) it will last a long time - especially when the 1D4 is popping some of those (1D4 was about 20k actuations)

The real benefit over the 5D is the pro AF plus 5fps makes it a good walkabout camera - especially with the 70-300L on the front. The bonus is the better IQ
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:34:18 PM by briansquibb »

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »

The nikon D4 runs circles around the D800 and D700. Not sure what you mean.

avian

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »

The nikon D4 runs circles around the D800 and D700. Not sure what you mean.

I rather have a camera that is able to walk in a straight line that would make dolyshots that much easier  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »