June 22, 2018, 09:41:43 AM

Author Topic: M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss  (Read 3957 times)

ashmadux

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • Edward Ofori Photography
M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Looks VERY usable if this video is any indicator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUTdR758XfU

The beginning of better things to come.

For portrait shooters, nailing the eyes is everything or the image is fail. As great as my 5d3 is, I miss exact (closest) eye focus almost 30% of the time. It's frustrating anytime a great shot has the wrong eye in focus.

I dont care about Canon vs. sony xxx, i care about what is viable now/soon as a canon shooter. And if this helps get my eyes, im sold.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »

Jester74

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
How do you take those portraits? What lens(es) do you use, how you set your camera? 30% is too much...
EOS 1DX, EOS M10, EOS 5, Nikon F5, Nikon F6, Mamiya M645 ProTL, Mamiya RB67, Horseman LE 4x5 and other stuff

ashmadux

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
How do you take those portraits? What lens(es) do you use, how you set your camera? 30% is too much...

One shot, single point, 2.8 on a 50mm, sometimes the 70-200 2.8. It's bedeviled me for years, a few different cameras the focus will just jump back to the far eye.

I overshoot frames by 5x, literally, just to get the highest rate of success. This is with static subjects.

This happens in perfect well lit conditions and low light (my 5d3 focus in mid to low light actually falls apart, sadly.)
Be the best you, screw everything else.

3kramd5

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
Do you calibrate your lenses (AFMA)?

Quarkcharmed

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »

One shot, single point, 2.8 on a 50mm, sometimes the 70-200 2.8. It's bedeviled me for years, a few different cameras the focus will just jump back to the far eye.

I overshoot frames by 5x, literally, just to get the highest rate of success. This is with static subjects.

This happens in perfect well lit conditions and low light (my 5d3 focus in mid to low light actually falls apart, sadly.)

50mm and 70-200 which ones exactly? And do you shoot off hand or from a tripod? They're all different at autofocusing. Try different autofocus modes, one shot or servo. They may work differently on different lenses. 70-200 (if it's Canon EF 2.8) is very fast at focusing and may work with AI servo. EF 50 f1.8 is very slow and produces a lot of focus hunting with AI servo. The same may apply to EF 50 f1.2.
Canon 5D MkIV, EF 24-70 f2.8L II, EF 16-32 f4L IS, EF 70-200 f2.8L II IS, EF 50 f1.8 STM

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »

50mm and 70-200 which ones exactly? And do you shoot off hand or from a tripod? They're all different at autofocusing. Try different autofocus modes, one shot or servo. They may work differently on different lenses. 70-200 (if it's Canon EF 2.8) is very fast at focusing and may work with AI servo. EF 50 f1.8 is very slow and produces a lot of focus hunting with AI servo. The same may apply to EF 50 f1.2.

The 50 F1.8 is kind of famous for its inconsistent focus......
The best camera is the one in your hands

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
The video looks cool.  It also looks like continuous AF?

Much more important question:  How well does Eye AF work on birds?  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »

Jester74

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:36:23 AM »
Do you use the center AF-point and recompose, or choose the closest of the many AF-points? Cos recomposing can cause shifts in focus....
EOS 1DX, EOS M10, EOS 5, Nikon F5, Nikon F6, Mamiya M645 ProTL, Mamiya RB67, Horseman LE 4x5 and other stuff

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:53:16 AM »
Do you use the center AF-point and recompose, or choose the closest of the many AF-points? Cos recomposing can cause shifts in focus....

Eye AF should not work like that.  You should be able to select a zone, and it finds the nearest eye to you and AF's to that.  On the video, it looks like it follows her after it locks, but I thought I read somewhere that it was only compatible with one-shot AF.

Jester74

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:00:21 AM »

Eye AF should not work like that.  You should be able to select a zone, and it finds the nearest eye to you and AF's to that.  On the video, it looks like it follows her after it locks, but I thought I read somewhere that it was only compatible with one-shot AF.

Yes, it should work like that. But I meant his original camera, the 5D mk III, which has a lot of AF-points...

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »

Yes, it should work like that. But I meant his original camera, the 5D mk III, which has a lot of AF-points...

Ahhh, I see. I think there was a poll recently, and the most popular technique was center point zoomed out, and crop. This is what I do on 6D2, though if I want upper high resolution I will either select another AF point or MF in magnified live view.

bokehmon22

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
I'm surprised Canon have eye AF. Canon release a promo and it looks like it works well.  I wonder how well does it work in real life.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »
The kind of picture I'd like Eye AF to catch is like the attachments.

Because DoF is quite shallow (because it's 360mm and only a few feet away), focus can be unforgiving.  Also, it is quite busy with all the tall grasses.

I can't speak for other bodies, but on 80D/6DII, it's pretty hopeless -- often, AF just catches the tall grasses -- and I end up using manual focus.

This type of AF/MF situation is not uncommon for me if I'm trying to get to eye level to wildlife, like on the first one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 03:13:45 AM »

Because DoF is quite shallow (because it's 360mm and only a few feet away), focus can be unforgiving.  Also, it is quite busy with all the tall grasses.

I can't speak for other bodies, but on 80D/6DII, it's pretty hopeless -- often, AF just catches the tall grasses -- and I end up using manual focus.

The 6DII has Spot AF, doesn't it? Like the 7D2 and up but unlike poor 80D :(

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »

The 6DII has Spot AF, doesn't it? Like the 7D2 and up but unlike poor 80D :(

Indeed it does -- and I wish 80D did too :(   But it works poorly when there's stuff like grass, because often, the grass gets in the spot :)  Plus, the critter's eye doesn't stay very still, and trying to pick an AF point that will work on an animal that's bobbing around unpredictably is not reliable. 

It's easier to MF, and then breathe the focus ring slightly as I snap a few photos; some of then will be in focus.  But what ends up happening is I take 20 pictures of an animal, to reduce it down to 4 that I'm happy with.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »