June 23, 2018, 06:15:50 PM

Author Topic: M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss  (Read 3975 times)

Jester74

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »
Do you use the center AF-point and recompose, or choose the closest of the many AF-points? Cos recomposing can cause shifts in focus....

Eye AF should not work like that.  You should be able to select a zone, and it finds the nearest eye to you and AF's to that.  On the video, it looks like it follows her after it locks, but I thought I read somewhere that it was only compatible with one-shot AF.

Yes, it should work like that. But I meant his original camera, the 5D mk III, which has a lot of AF-points...

Ahhh, I see. I think there was a poll recently, and the most popular technique was center point zoomed out, and crop. This is what I do on 6D2, though if I want upper high resolution I will either select another AF point or MF in magnified live view.

I don't remember that poll, but on my 5DmkIII I used the joystick to choose the closest AF-point and slightly recompose the shot if it was necessary. I do this on my 1DX now and it works mostly...:) If one single point is not enough, I set single plus 4 adjacent AF-points. It helps when the contrast is not enough for 1 point.
EOS 1DX, EOS M10, EOS 5, Nikon F5, Nikon F6, Mamiya M645 ProTL, Mamiya RB67, Horseman LE 4x5 and other stuff

canon rumors FORUM

Re: M50 Eye tracking Preview Video - let's discuss
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »