June 19, 2018, 10:12:55 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the EOS R  (Read 7263 times)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
many of the purchasers will only ever take family holiday snaps.

They could also be the first camera many could afford (or wants to spend little anyway), and test if photography is something they like (and are good for). Remember that for many years people entered photography with cameras like the Pentax K1000, no-frills cameras yet good enough.

Sure, one could also go for something used, but there's always the risk of a dud.

If I had young children I'd get one for them to play with and learn. Just like my grandfather had to get me a cheap camera so I no longer put my hands on my father's one... :D

Or maybe I could get one for my father, now that he's old, and never transitioned to digital photography.

canon rumors FORUM

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
The "cheapest ever" says the title, whereas the long article does not mention the price at all?

The title says, "The Cheapest DSLR Ever?"

You do understand what a question mark is, I hope. :)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Meanwhile Sony announces the A7III, which totally obliterates the Canon 6D mark II for the same price :D
15 stops of dynamic range
24 megapixels
dual SD card slots
full frame 4K video (full pixel readout)
10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
IBIS
Battery that lasts 710 shots
and many more features...

If they would only add an optical viewfinder and mirrorbox to it, add a modicum of weather sealing so that my inverted camera on strap didn't get water in it, make it not painful to hold with heavy telephoto lenses, allow the viewfinder to fully articulate, improve the touchscreen interface... and give it an EF mount, I would probably agree!

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII

They could also be the first camera many could afford (or wants to spend little anyway), and test if photography is something they like (and are good for). Remember that for many years people entered photography with cameras like the Pentax K1000, no-frills cameras yet good enough.

Sure, one could also go for something used, but there's always the risk of a dud.

If I had young children I'd get one for them to play with and learn. Just like my grandfather had to get me a cheap camera so I no longer put my hands on my father's one... :D

Or maybe I could get one for my father, now that he's old, and never transitioned to digital photography.

The 4000D is a bazillion times more advanced than the camera that I had in my high school photography club (a film Minolta), and I had an endless fun with that.

I think photography is a wonderful hobby, and the more accessible cameras can be, the better.

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel T7i
If you want to take superbly detailed DSLR quality pictures what would you use your DSLR camera like a point and shoot for? If you always use the Scene Intelligent Auto mode with the rear LCD view you will never learn what the settings mean and how to change them to have the required effect. Can you create silky waterfalls in SIA mode? Hardly. Can you take true macro shots with relatively large DoF? No.

And we still have no innovation in the entry-level camera line-up. Both the 2000D and the 4000D have the same old kit lens and sensor and processor as the 1000D had years ago. :(

Canon should update the entry-level cameras with Digic 6 processor and a newer sensor though it can have 18 MPs. :)

Takingshots

• EOS Rebel 300D

"The Cheapest DSLR ever" - does that mean figuratively or dollar cents or both...? Some of the current phones have better specs for its camera.  I would think the mellenials would want a very good phones with its decent camera as oppose to carrying the "cheapest dslr" as well as having a phone. Even my cheapest LG phones has modes for shutter and EV adjustments ... Pictures came out quite decent. 

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
If you want to take superbly detailed DSLR quality pictures what would you use your DSLR camera like a point and shoot for? If you always use the Scene Intelligent Auto mode with the rear LCD view you will never learn what the settings mean and how to change them to have the required effect.

Does the camera support only the auto mode? No. It would be difficult today to sell a camera with no auto mode and some scene settings - its market would become too limited. Of course, if someone is not interested, ir too lazy to learn photography, no camera could help. And unlike a couple of decades ago, there's a lot of resources to learn from - accessible by the smartphone too.

I'm curious about the "Canon Photo Companion" app, and how good it is to learn the basics.

What Digic 6 would add, for the target market? Uts buyers probably have no idea what a "Digic" is. IIRC the 5DII uses a Digic 4 - and I guess it still deliver excellent images.

The 2000D doesn't use the older sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

alienman

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Meanwhile Sony announces the A7III, which totally obliterates the Canon 6D mark II for the same price :D
15 stops of dynamic range
24 megapixels
dual SD card slots
full frame 4K video (full pixel readout)
10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
IBIS
Battery that lasts 710 shots
and many more features...

Agree, Canon's strategy seems strange putting a lot of focus on cheap cameras.

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Until now, both BH and Adorama site, not include the new EOS 4000D or 2000D.

Will not this be sold in the USA?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:50:09 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
I'm not surprised at these new cheap Canon cameras... their features match their price, and I have no complaints with them.

My main complaint has been with cameras like the 6D mark II, which pales in comparison to cameras like the newly announced Sony a7III.

Canon have chosen to restrict and disable many features from that camera, and limit it at the hardware level as well.

Sony goes all out packing as many high-end features into it as it can. More or less 99% of all complaints people had about earlier Sony cameras have been addressed. Even autofocus with Canon lenses has gotten great unless you are the most demanding sports shooter (if you dont like Sony's glass).

The Canon m50 is certainly a step in the right direction... they cant undo previous camera launches... they just need to keep going in that direction and everyone should be happy.
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

Isaacheus

• EOS M5
I'm not surprised at these new cheap Canon cameras... their features match their price, and I have no complaints with them.

My main complaint has been with cameras like the 6D mark II, which pales in comparison to cameras like the newly announced Sony a7III.

Canon have chosen to restrict and disable many features from that camera, and limit it at the hardware level as well.

Sony goes all out packing as many high-end features into it as it can. More or less 99% of all complaints people had about earlier Sony cameras have been addressed. Even autofocus with Canon lenses has gotten great unless you are the most demanding sports shooter (if you dont like Sony's glass).

The Canon m50 is certainly a step in the right direction... they cant undo previous camera launches... they just need to keep going in that direction and everyone should be happy.

Yep, these cameras fit a gap and that's fine. I get the feeling they're trying to sway some of the second hand market into buying new, which is perfectly fine.

On the other end of the market, it seems a bit more hit and miss. The new a73 really shows the 6dmk2 up, and even hits the 5dmk4 in enough areas that it starts to look a bit behind. It is older yes, and I'm going off specs sheet rather than real world experience, but it's much cheaper too, and appears to address many of the previous shortcomings of the cheaper a72

DanM

• PowerShot SX60 HS
Cheapest ever? It's £329 in the UK, or £369 with a lens and I paid £299 for a 1200D and 18-55 a few years ago...

Cochese

• PowerShot G1 X II
This is the camera that all future aunts and uncles will buy and never use. In fifteen years, they'll tell tales of the "amazing high end camera they never use, but you can have."

canon rumors FORUM

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Cheapest ever? It's £329 in the UK, or £369 with a lens and I paid £299 for a 1200D and 18-55 a few years ago...

Apples and oranges. We’re talking MSRP obviously.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R

So feel free to complain in the dedicated thread - what's the reason of doing it here, promote the Sony?

Of course the 2000D and 4000D are aimed at a far different market than $2000 cameras. I would not be surprised if the 4000D will be available, body only, at one tenth of that price.

canon rumors FORUM