June 25, 2018, 02:24:37 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the EOS R  (Read 7311 times)

s87343jim

• PowerShot SX60 HS

So..... basically 4000D is the same as 550D back in 2010, but with wifi.

It's basically 1300D but with cheaper build. And the 1300D is basically 1200D with wifi. And the 1200D is basically 600D in a smaller body.

Not really. I think its more like a 550D  as it doesn't have a flip out screen.

canon rumors FORUM

rsdofny

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: Will Canon's strategy to counter smart phones be effective?
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
It appears to me that Canon has the impression of a clunky DSLR is the ultimate upgrade path for ordinary people.  A more informed consumer will know that there are a lot more capable mirrorless camera. ala Sony A6X00s, comes in very, very small package.  Personally, I think that Canon over-complicates its lineup to milk enough profit at the low end while preserving the profit margin at the high end camera.  Will that strategy work in face of Sony's aggressive product introduction and slowly maturing lens lineup (including 3rd party)?

It is clear that Canon's strategy against smart phones is to have relatively inexpensive dsrl cameras with feature sets designed for new dsrl users.  Will it work?

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
It appears to me that Canon has the impression of a clunky DSLR is the ultimate upgrade path for ordinary people.  A more informed consumer will know that there are a lot more capable mirrorless camera. ala Sony A6X00s, comes in very, very small package.  Personally, I think that Canon over-complicates its lineup to milk enough profit at the low end while preserving the profit margin at the high end camera.  Will that strategy work in face of Sony's aggressive product introduction and slowly maturing lens lineup (including 3rd party)?

It is clear that Canon's strategy against smart phones is to have relatively inexpensive dsrl cameras with feature sets designed for new dsrl users.  Will it work?

Ehh. It’s abundantly clear that Canon has multiple offerings for different demographics upgrading from camera phones. For those demographics that want a small camera they have various PowerShots and EOS M bodies like the M100 and the new M50. But as they certainly know based on sales figures, there are still demographics desiring a ”serious”-looking body, ie. a DSLR. These cheap Rebels are still the cameras that fund the R&D of Canon’s mirrorless endeavour as well as higher-end DSLRs.

scyrene

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr feed
Meanwhile Sony announces the A7III, which totally obliterates the Canon 6D mark II for the same price :D
15 stops of dynamic range
24 megapixels
dual SD card slots
full frame 4K video (full pixel readout)
10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
IBIS
Battery that lasts 710 shots
and many more features...

Precisely what does that have to do with this thread?

I'm not surprised at these new cheap Canon cameras... their features match their price, and I have no complaints with them.

My main complaint has been with cameras like the 6D mark II, which pales in comparison to cameras like the newly announced Sony a7III.

Once again, what does the second statement have to do with this thread? You don't have a problem with the 2000/4000D, end of story. Go and moan about Canon's corporate strategy on threads dedicated to that. Incidentally, comparing a couple of entry-level, ultra-budget models to a higher end camera that costs several times more is disingenuous to say the least.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

scyrene

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr feed
I have to say, when I saw the prices of the latest releases from Canon, I found the M50 seemed good value, whereas these two DSLRs don't seem all that great in comparison - clearly they are different beasts, of course, but the 4000D in particular would be a hard sell (body only it's £40 less than the 2000D); obviously this is recommended pricing, and they'll come down, but at present if I were asked by someone starting out, I'd recommend they get a secondhand copy of an older model that offers this much for less, or for the same price, possibly more. It's not fair to compare RRP to street price, except when it comes to actual purchasing decisions, when you must assess the whole market and what your budget can get you. Having said all that, pushing the lower boundary is a good thing, and if it encourages more people to get into photography, all the better (the venerable 300D was in that spirit, after all).
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

Hesbehindyou

• EOS Rebel T7i
Releasing cheapest-in-class DSLRs is classic Canon... 5D and 300D were the ones I remember.

As to the only modest price difference between the 4000D & 2000D, people at this end of the market are extremely sensitive to price.

I've a 550D and these look pretty comparable.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:13 AM »

A few years ago I was eagerly awaiting a successor to the A6000, and I'm still waiting.
Same for the A5100.
All Sony has done since then is made even more expensive bodies. The A6000 is ancient and overpriced for what it does, Sony should have discontinued it and the A5300 years ago, even if just to refresh the user interface.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:13 AM »